PDA

View Full Version : H2 Trailer Brake Module

MSeeb
11-30-2005, 09:31 PM
For any of you that tow. I am taking delivery of a 20' enclosed car trailer in two weeks and have scheduled the trailer brake module & hitch ball & receiver to be installed next week. While talking to the company who will be doing the install, they said that the one downside that H2's have is when wiring in the brake module for the trailer brakes, you have to disconnect the DRL's when using the brake module because the circuit that they have to use for the module is tied into the DRL's. This just doesn't make sense to me. I can't belive that you would have to disconnect the lights to accomodate towing. They are going to be using the Prodigy/Intella-Stop controller.

This company apparently does the installs for the trailer company I ordered the trailer through, and are supposed to be very good at what they do. At this point, I'm just a little nervous. Any comments or feedback from you guys would be appreciated.
Thanks

MSeeb
11-30-2005, 09:31 PM
For any of you that tow. I am taking delivery of a 20' enclosed car trailer in two weeks and have scheduled the trailer brake module & hitch ball & receiver to be installed next week. While talking to the company who will be doing the install, they said that the one downside that H2's have is when wiring in the brake module for the trailer brakes, you have to disconnect the DRL's when using the brake module because the circuit that they have to use for the module is tied into the DRL's. This just doesn't make sense to me. I can't belive that you would have to disconnect the lights to accomodate towing. They are going to be using the Prodigy/Intella-Stop controller.

This company apparently does the installs for the trailer company I ordered the trailer through, and are supposed to be very good at what they do. At this point, I'm just a little nervous. Any comments or feedback from you guys would be appreciated.
Thanks

tomp
11-30-2005, 10:01 PM
They may be correct, if they splice the wires into the OEM wiring. However, go to your dealer and get the Z-82 Trailer Brake option and it gives you a plug-in interface connector with wires on the other end to connect the module to.

It cones with the Hummer Winching acc. kit from your dealer, or can be purchased seperately.

WARNING: this interface changed for 2006 models, so do not use the Z-82 option as the pin outs have changed. I had to take the Harness and remove the pins out of the connector and tone them out with my meter, then plug them back in new locations. This only affects 2006+ year models and dealers are not aware unless they call Hummer support!

tomp
11-30-2005, 10:02 PM
BTW, my DRLs work fine

PARAGON
11-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, first, what year H2 is it. Second, it probably doesn't really matter. I have not heard of a problem with the DRL circuit. On '03s there was a problem if you had dealer installed roof or grill-guard mounted lights.

Prodigy has the proper harness for you regardless. I would suggest getting the vehicle-specific, plug and play harness and not the generic harness that comes with the controller.

Keep asking questions. Either this is a brand new problem on '06s or they haven't done an H2 in a while. Either way, you don't have to disconnect the DRLs if you don't want to. Good luck on finding a good place to install the controller. I ended up cutting into my dash and sticking mine in the hole.