PDA

View Full Version : 2x8" JL Subs Installed in the rear door = OMG!

bparker
09-29-2005, 05:02 AM
Hey guys, I took my H3 in to have it switched over from XM to SIRIUS and while i was there I ended up striking a deal and having a custom enclosure made for the rear door (the jack compartment) and 2 8" JL (W3s) subs installed.

I will post all of the pics when I get them showing the step by step process they went through but for now just have a look at this job by Earmark Car Audio out of Plano, TX.

I also put in a JL 500/1 amp (yes its way more than enough) and this truck absolutely all out rocks now! Sounds incredible and looks incredible!

The entire area inside where the jack was located was fiberglassed in so the box is bigger than the jack access cover hole.

Also, this box it totaly removable and reverable in case I ever decide to trade in my h3 in 2 yrs down the road for a V8 model =)

/cheers

bparker
09-29-2005, 05:02 AM
Hey guys, I took my H3 in to have it switched over from XM to SIRIUS and while i was there I ended up striking a deal and having a custom enclosure made for the rear door (the jack compartment) and 2 8" JL (W3s) subs installed.

I will post all of the pics when I get them showing the step by step process they went through but for now just have a look at this job by Earmark Car Audio out of Plano, TX.

I also put in a JL 500/1 amp (yes its way more than enough) and this truck absolutely all out rocks now! Sounds incredible and looks incredible!

The entire area inside where the jack was located was fiberglassed in so the box is bigger than the jack access cover hole.

Also, this box it totaly removable and reverable in case I ever decide to trade in my h3 in 2 yrs down the road for a V8 model =)

/cheers

bparker
09-29-2005, 05:18 AM
Couple of shots.

http://www.bpteck.com/stuff/myh3/H3JLs/DSC00093_sm.JPG

http://www.bpteck.com/stuff/myh3/H3JLs/DSC00094_sm.JPG

wannabeH3
09-29-2005, 09:20 AM
that is hella nice!

Webb70
09-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Okay, I need some details:
How does it sound?
How long did it take to complete?
What size amp are you running or is it off the sub feed?
Are you happy with the install?

Damn it looks good, I want, I want.....

Thanks.

bparker
09-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Here are the details;
How does it sound?
Incredible for what it is which is 2 measly 8" drivers.

It took them 1.5 days but really 1 day if they had started on it in the morning rather than noon. As they started at noon and I picked it up at noon the next day.

I had a JL 500/1 Mono Amp installed under the panel (its totaly hiden) where the old factory sub was located. They made a platform and brackets to use the existing holes where the old sub was bolted in for the amp.

I could not be more happy with it - period. This is exactly what I was wanting as in sound. fit and finish. It jams is all I can tell ya. yes the factory sub will make you feel some vibrations but this lil setup will r o c k the H3 deep vibrations felt down to the bone.

They also used dynamat in the rear door so there are no vibration noises outside the truck.

As far as having a custom install it doesnt get much better then this without having to hack up body panels of your nice new truck. Let alone this "looks" like it came this way from the factory. Also, I can completly remove this setup and put everything back to factory and you would never know it was there when I go to sell it or trade in for an H3 Alpha. =)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Webb70:
Okay, I need some details:
How does it sound?

Damn it looks good, I want, I want..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HummerNewbie
09-29-2005, 11:08 AM
I love the look and sure it sounds great. I put a pair of 8s in the tailgate of a Rodeo for a guy years ago and it was shocking how good it sounded. You have answered most of my questions already but two more. Are you running the rest of the system off the factory amp? Roughly what did the sub enclosure cost? I used to do all my on custom work but just don't have the time anymore.

bparker
09-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Yes, the rest of the system/speakers are running off either the stock head unit or other amp where ever it is.. as I really dont know. But I did not put them on a new amp. Only the new amp for the subs was installed.

I dont know what the enclosure alone cost as I had all of this stuff done on 1 ticket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
I love the look and sure it sounds great. I put a pair of 8s in the tailgate of a Rodeo for a guy years ago and it was shocking how good it sounded. You have answered most of my questions already but two more. Are you running the rest of the system off the factory amp? Roughly what did the sub enclosure cost? I used to do all my on custom work but just don't have the time anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bparker
09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
The ticket shows labor for the "box" to be 400.00 but I think there is more to consider to duplicate this setup like dynamat, cables, etc. And I am not sure if they charged me for the color matched vinyl either.. I think they are looking for repeat business from this install so they went easy on me.

HummerNewbie
09-29-2005, 11:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bparker:
The ticket shows labor for the "box" to be 400.00 but I think there is more to consider to duplicate this setup like dynamat, cables, etc. And I am not sure if they charged me for the color matched vinyl either.. I think they are looking for repeat business from this install so they went easy on me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

$400 for that enclosure sounds pretty damn good to me. If you do get some step by step photos I would love to see them. Really looks great. I need to find a shop around here that I am comfortable with. I know of one that has done a lot of work for friends of mine but the are all the way across town. The tailgate sure seems to be the best solution for better low end but keeping the cargo space. I used to really enjoy doing all the install and custom work, just don't have the time anymore. Damn, I miss the days when I competed and wouldn't think twice about dropping $5k into a system http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Webb70
09-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the info bparker, you got a great looking system there. I may have to re-think leaving mine stock. This way you get a great sound/ look and don't have to give up any space to do it.

Enjoy.....

I think I just got me a winter project http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kid Shyleen
09-29-2005, 01:32 PM
OK so are you takin orders? Is there a "Group Buy" option for this?

Damn that looks nice, really really nice!

timgco
09-29-2005, 02:10 PM
LOOKS GREAT! When you talk with them again, ask them if there is a kit they would sell to a few of us. I'd take two! ... if it's easy enough to do.

One questions: wher is your jack now? Does it stay in there? How tough is it to get that panel back off? Thanks for the GREAT post.

H3 Hummer
09-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Looks sweet.

Any rattling from the bass?

Hummer Guy
09-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Pretty cool setup...not sure anyone would ever use that jack anyway....

cheappc.com
09-29-2005, 10:46 PM
hey bparker i really like that sub setup, gives me a great idea, i also really like your rims, what size are they, and the tires as well?

Also, it makes that ride look higher, is it higher?

bparker
09-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Ok guys, here are the pics from Earmark showing many steps they took to make this happen.

http://www.bpteck.com/stuff/myh3/H3JLs/H3_JL_Box_Install_pics/

HummerNewbie
09-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the step by step pics. Man, I have a chub http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Webb70
09-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Where do you keep the jack now?

H3OH
10-01-2005, 12:58 AM
bparker,

After looking at the pics on your site, I know I saw you last Sunday going southbound on the tollway. There was a red Ferrari Modena a few cars in front and then a red Lotus Elise about 10 seconds behind you. It was a good day heading north on the tollway for vehicles! I saw a black H3 that wasn't stock and after seeing the pics, I am pretty sure that was you!

Anyway, I need to come see your H3. The speaker setup is killer!

bparker
10-01-2005, 05:58 AM
Hey I was on the tollway like 3 times on Sunday, and I dont know which time you saw me though, as I dont recall the Ferrari going the same direction but I did see 1 up near addison going North Bound.

Anyways, shoot me an email if you ever want to come by as I would be happy to show you the setup. However I am in the process of installing new flooring and then moving next week into a new house so the truck will be a bit dirty. I am moving from Plano to Frisco, as I found a killer deal on a nice 4 beroom that I just couldnt pass up.

/cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3OH:
bparker,

After looking at the pics on your site, I know I saw you last Sunday going southbound on the tollway. There was a red Ferrari Modena a few cars in front and then a red Lotus Elise about 10 seconds behind you. It was a good day heading north on the tollway for vehicles! I saw a black H3 that wasn't stock and after seeing the pics, I am pretty sure that was you!

Anyway, I need to come see your H3. The speaker setup is killer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Webb70
10-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Is there a way to get the pictures back up. I need to download them for future reference(read copying).

Thanks.

HummerNewbie
10-20-2005, 10:40 AM
I downloaded them for future reference myself http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
PM me and I can email them to you.

UNOMYFLO
10-30-2005, 01:04 AM
can you send me all the pics please

mikepmorgan@adelphia.net

yhank you

i want a box ask thm how much for just the box with the subs please and give me their telephone number mabye if I tak to someone there i can orderit over the phone and pay with a cc and have it shipped to me. Their work looks great and they did one and now know what they are doing...i want one.

Thanks Mike

Mark805
10-30-2005, 11:04 PM
is there a way you can post the pictures again or email them to me as well?

Kid Shyleen
10-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah, like I said, "Group Buy!" Tell the guy he could have several sold already! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

HummerNewbie
10-31-2005, 02:09 PM
You can download a zip file with all the pic he had uploaded and it is about 16 meg. I know that HoKC was going to talk to a shop there about doing them for his dealership. I have used this shop in the past and they do great work. I asked him to check and see if they would sell just the enclosures. If I have any I will let everyone know.

http://www.hummercluborlando.com/images/H3SubInstall.zip

Mark805
10-31-2005, 02:21 PM
thanks for the file

bparker
10-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey Guys, I am back from my vacation abroad and have some great info for all of you. The guys at Earmark have put together a package deal so you guys can buy the same box and have it installed locally at your installer of choice.

Sorry the pics are down as I just moved as well and my new T1 isnt installed yet.

Anyway here is the info for you guys:

<------H3 Retro Fit Bass Kit------>
Available in two distinct packages: Original and Power

Original Kit Features:
JL 250/1 300w RMS subwoofer amp
2 JL 8W3v2d2 Subwoofers
High quality signal and power cables

Power Kit Features: (bparker style)
JL 500/1 500w RMS subwoofer amp
2 JL 8W3v2d2 Subwoofers
Studio quality signal and power cables

Both Kits Include Standard:
Black, Tan, or Grey vinyl facade and matching grills.
The kits are complete and ready for installation. Fully
detailed instructions are included.

Pricing:
Original - $1425
Power - $1700

for more info, please contact:
Luke @ Earmark Car Audio
3132 W. Parker Rd
Plano, TX 75075
http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com
972-612-6886

can ship via UPS to anywhere in the world

Webb70
12-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Hey bparker or hummernewbie, I lost the pictures for this install, and the link no longer works, do either of you still have them?

If so, could you please send them to
webb70@sympatico.ca

Thank you very much.

Darren

HoKC
01-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Emailed 1/3/06

evomind
01-04-2006, 01:01 PM
hey
i would like to see them too.
mikeiuro@hotmail.com
thanks

HoKC
01-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Email returned, said your mailbox was full, the file is 15M.

HummerNewbie
01-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Sorry guys, when I moved the site to another server I forgot to upload that zip file. It is being uploaded right now and should be ready to download in a few minutes (slow upload on my wireless).

http://www.hummercluborlando.com/images/H3SubInstall.zip