PDA

View Full Version : Directional tires -- what about the spare?

rodster
07-25-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm looking at 37s (really like the Iroks) but, when you have directional tires, what do you do about a spare?

And if I got it right, Nitto Mud Grapplers are not directional. Is that by itself reason enough to go with the Nittos?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

rodster
07-25-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm looking at 37s (really like the Iroks) but, when you have directional tires, what do you do about a spare?

And if I got it right, Nitto Mud Grapplers are not directional. Is that by itself reason enough to go with the Nittos?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Beastmaster
07-25-2005, 11:20 PM
The one time I ran directional tires, I carried a spare that was non-directional and the same size.

The Nitto Mud Grapplers are not directional. Neither are the IROK's.

The easiest suggestion I could make in running directional tires would be to run beadlocks. Then you can move the tire in whatever direction you want.

rodster
07-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks guys. I copied this from 4WP's site (http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/productLine.asp?cat=TIR&prodline=2091&catName=TIRES&man=INTE) :

An exciting new "Super Performer." A tire with traction as good as it gets in mud, snow, and rock climbing. It has a directional tread in the famous Three Stage Lug Design, scooped lugs, blade and molded siping.

Are there different types of "directional"?

BTW, that desciption is for the Super Swamper IROK, not the IROK Radial, which is the tire I'm looking at. Guess is doesn't really matter though since it's OK to limp home on a backwards tire. When I first read about directional tires, I was pretty sure they'd self-destruct if run backwards!

Thanks again.

PARAGON
07-26-2005, 01:47 AM
The tire on that link does look directional. The outside lugs on each side are not opposite, like on a non-directional tire. If the opposite halves of a tread are mirror images it can be an indication of a directional tire. You should at least ask anyway.