PDA

View Full Version : Better than GMID deals

jhawk
04-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Just wondering if any of you have went in with a GMID but got a better price from the dealer without using it? Hoping to get mine within a month and trying to get the best possible deal I can. After researching it more I'll probably buy rather than doing the SmartBuy and go with the Adventure Package. The one I am looking at is:

-ADVENTURE PACKAGE
-TRAILERING CONVENIENCE PKG.
-ROOF RAIL AIRBAG SYSTEM W/ ROLLOVER SENSOR
-MONSOON SYSTEM
-TRAILER HITCH AND WIRING HARNESS
-AUTOMATIC TRANS
-CHROME APPEARANCE PACKAGE
-CHROME TUBULAR ASSIST STEPS

MSRP: $35,075.00
GMID: $32,169.44

My trade in will be a 2003 Impala in good condition with about 47,000 miles and I owe about $10,000 on it. Do you think the GMID discount and the difference in what they'll give me for trade vs. what I owe will basically cancel each other out?

Thanks to everyone who replies I've learned a lot on here.

RubHer Yellow Ducky
04-16-2006, 09:07 PM
FORGET MSRP !

That number means nothing. DON "T discuss trade or GMID at all. Don't breathe it till you get there best number. Offer them $1000 under FACTORY INVOICE. DO NOT concern yourself with dealer options (they are blind markup high profit items) If after you make your best deal then mention TRADES, Dealer Options ETC...

REMEMBER the dealer gets 3% holdback monies based on the list price of the truck including factory installed accessories. Thats $1052.25 profit assuming your $35K figure doesn't include transportation charges, ad fees billed by GM or dealer accessories. If it does include them back out the TRANS CHGS, AD FEES etc.

Concerning your GMID. I would call the dealer and ask for the HUMMER SALES MANAGER (notice I said call and ask him/her over the phone if they accept GMID. Note their name, date, time then if they do, find that price when you go in.

Remember the money you save is better in your profit, not theirs.

RYD

jhawk
04-16-2006, 09:27 PM
How do I find out the factory invoice price?

RubHer Yellow Ducky
04-16-2006, 09:48 PM
edmunds.com

remember it will not show dealer add on items or ad fees added by gm. most, not all dealers contribuate ad fees to gm.

example my fees were around $1200. didn't like it but its a true fee...

you didn't mention where U R located. If in big city metro arear U have lots of choices of dealers to work with and of course you can get quotes from many. If your in BFE or PDI and there is only one dealer within 100 miles its a bit more difficult to deal.

BUT

Don't be afraid to travel 100, 200 or even 400 miles to save thousands. Remember your local dealer still has to cover the warrenty. Also if your local dealer will come within $200 of the out of town dealer go local.

RYD

RYD

jhawk
04-16-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm in St. Louis so I have Lynch here in town, which from what I've seen is pretty much the largest HUMMER dealer there is, not sure if that's good or bad though.

jhawk
04-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Acording to edmunds, invoice on this would be $32,415. So the GMID price is roughly $250 below invoice?

RubHer Yellow Ducky
04-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Sounds like GMID is the way to go if they will accept it.

RYD

startin\' young
04-17-2006, 03:47 AM
just fyi i had a 2002 s-10 4 cyl, ls with a few cig burns and a crack in the drivers side door panel, 2 wd, auto 45000 miles and still got 8500 i think they just want to sell as many s pos to make a living

jhawk
04-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Can I ask how much you still owed on it and what you thought you would get for it based on KBB or Edmunds? I'm just afraid I'll get low -balled on the trade and then have to add the difference back into the selling price.

Agriv8r
04-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by jhawk:
Acording to edmunds, invoice on this would be $32,415. So the GMID price is roughly $250 below invoice?

If GMID is BELOW invoice, GM has included advertising into the invoice. In this case, most dealers will not "Honor" GMID as the profit margin doesn't make sense. As for trade value, KBB.com (kelly blue book) is generaly pretty close. Edmunds is way off the chart for trade values and for thier estimate of invoice. Start with KBB and be accurate when you are inputting your info. Hiding the trade? Hiding GMID? Doesnt make sense when you are dealing with big dealerships (HUMMER). GMID is printed on the invoice, so if you qualify they will show it to you. Trades are what they are. They value they are reaching at auction is what it is, it is not worth anymore if you do it up front or after everything else has been negotiated, all you do is add more time to the process. Our (car dealer) first goal is to sell the car (without this part nothing else matters) second goal is profit. Go in with an idea of your trade value, the amount of down payment, and the monthly payment you are comfortable with. The hard part then is while staying firm on your numbers, being a little flexible if they are unrealistic. Simple math for all car sales, $20 in car payment equals $1000 in car price (assumes 7% over 60 months). This is a ball park guide assuming average or better credit. So $10,000 finaced equals $200 monthly....could be better or worse, but this will get you started.

RubHer Yellow Ducky
04-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Why trade?

Sell you car by yourself and receive more money or go to CarMax and see what they will offer you on a direct buyout. You do not have to purchase anything from them, they will buy only...That at least gives you an honest idea what it is worth.

AH!

As I look back in your original post I see you still owe $10000.

WOW

Life becomes complicated! Good luck. Remember MSRP = Once upon a time or this is no CHIT!

RYD

lotus4s
04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Before going to the dealership, I confirmed that they would accept GMID. I then went in and tried to negotiate with them. Their best # was about $1500 off MSRP so I then presented the GMID thinking I might get the 1500 in addition to the GMID.

My salesman got a little miffed and claimed that GMID was the best discount I could get and they were not allowed by GM to do anything more. They wouldn't even throw in an ashtray even when I threatened to walk out. I caved. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't believe the story but they weren't giving me another dime above the GMID...

YMMV.

Agriv8r
04-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by lotus4s:
Before going to the dealership, I confirmed that they would accept GMID. I then went in and tried to negotiate with them. Their best # was about $1500 off MSRP so I then presented the GMID thinking I might get the 1500 in addition to the GMID.

My salesman got a little miffed and claimed that GMID was the best discount I could get and they were not allowed by GM to do anything more. They wouldn't even throw in an ashtray even when I threatened to walk out. I caved. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't believe the story but they weren't giving me another dime above the GMID...

YMMV.

GMID and GMS are really non-negotiable prices. In the right circumstances, end of the month, behind in sales, you may get another 100 or so, but they really are the lowest the dealers can go. An ashtray? I probably would have found one somewhere for you http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But congradulations on your new H3!!!!

RubHer Yellow Ducky
04-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Lotus, you got a good deal. I just hope JHawk also gets one also...

RYD

lotus4s
04-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by RubHer Yellow Ducky:
Lotus, you got a good deal. I just hope JHawk also gets one also...

RYD

Yeah, I'm happy. Just glad to find the GMID before I bought.

Agriv8r, you can still send me an ashtray if you feel bad for me.... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif