PDA

View Full Version : AIRLOCKER FRONT END

ANGELO D.
08-07-2003, 05:18 PM
I am putting a airlocker on my front end, has anybody done this yet, and if so were you able to use aircompressor on your H2 or did you have to add another compressor. apreciate any comments.

ANGELO D.
08-07-2003, 05:18 PM
I am putting a airlocker on my front end, has anybody done this yet, and if so were you able to use aircompressor on your H2 or did you have to add another compressor. apreciate any comments.

SJ
08-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Angelo:

I looked into a Front Locker at the end of 2002 and then again in the early part of this year. After a few posts on the subject and reasearching, here is what I found:

The H2's Traction Control system "somewhat" negates the need for a locker up front. This system is designed to detect slippage and act as a "virtual" locker by balancing power output.

The upside to TC/TC2 is that it makes the rig more drivable versus a Front Locker on all but the loosest of terrain. I owned one truck with a Front Locker and it hopped and surged when the ground beneath was solid [packed dirt].

The downside to TC/TC2 and subsequent upside to a Front Locker is that you have a constant supply of power to both left and right front wheels, without worrying about a management system trying to detect slippage. The Locker is said by many - to be more predictable.

I dropped my plans for a Front Locker, but if you opt to go with one, I'd be curious as to how the TC system is disengaged (e.g. simply remove a fuse or undercarriage wire?). I'd think that you wouldn't want the TC system activated while the Differential is engaged, otherwise you have a redundant system trying to manage traction needlessly.

Let us know what you find - great subject!

ANGELO D.
08-08-2003, 02:56 PM
SJ, THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS! PLEASE NOTE I HAVE RESEARCHED THE FRONT AIR LOCKER AND THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD. YOU DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE TRACTION CONTROL THE AIRLOCKER IS A LAST RESORT TOOL WHEN VEHICLE IS STUCK, OR CAN'T MAKE THE WORST OF TERRAIN. AT THIS POINT YOU ENGAGE THE FRONT AIRLOCKER, WHICH SHOULD GET YOUR H2 OUT OF TROUBLE OR OVER JUST ABOUT ANY OBSTACLE. YOU DON'T HAVE TO DISENGAGE YOUR TRACTION CONTROL, YOU JUST LEAVE IT ALONE, IT WILL BE CONFUSED, BUT NO BIG DEAL. ONCE YOU GET THROUGH OBSTACLE, YOU FLICK THE TOGGLE SWITCH AND AIRLOCKER IS TURNED OFF, AND EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL. MY H2 GOES INTO SHOP MONDAY FOR 456/GEARS AND ABR AIRLOCKER FRONT END. I HAVE DECIDED TO ADD SEPERATE AIRCOMPRESSOR FOR THE AIRLOCKER, JUST SEEMS BEST WAY.

SJ
08-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Angelo:

Sounds good; your description makes sense.

4.56 gears - you running bigger tires (than 35s) or just looking for better off-the-line performance?

ANGELO D.
08-08-2003, 03:15 PM
SJ, YOU ARE CORRECT I HAVE 37IN BFG MUD TERRAIN
WITH RANCHO 4IN LIFT.

THANKS
ANGELO

Longhorn
08-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Please let us know how this goes. I'm dying to get a front locker. I had F/R ARB Airlockers on my D90 and it made a huge difference. They were very reliable.

TC is awful. I can't stand it. I don't like it when the vehicle trys to think for me. I've been stiffled by TC2 on so many obstacles. At least the light comes on to tell me its decided to start screwing with the front wheels.

Is this the locker designed for a 3/4 ton Chevy??

I can't wait for an update. . .

Hook Em'

ANGELO D.
08-13-2003, 01:58 PM
SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY GUYS. I PICK UP MY H2 TOMORROW WITH AIRLOCKER AND 456/GEARS INSTALLED.
I PLAN TO TAKE IT OUT THIS WEEKEND. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW EVERYTHING WORKS. I HAVE FRIENDS
THAT HAVE JEEPS WITH AIRLOCKERS AND THEY ARE CONSTANTLY GOING TO RUBICON AND THEY LOVE THE AIRLOCKER SYSTEM.

ANGELO

Dan
08-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Well? What's the scoop on your new airlockers?

- Dan http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------------
http://www.ezwebsales.com/H2/1black.jpg SUT on order since 12/02 - 10 months to go!

ANGELO D.
08-20-2003, 01:26 PM
DAN, I HAD SLIGHT DELAY ON MY AIRLOCKER, IT HAS BEEN INSTALLED BUT DIDN'T COMPLETE THE WIRING OF THE COMPRESSOR AND TOGGLE SWITCHES UNTIL YESTERDAY BECAUSE THE SHOP THAT INSTALLED THE LOCKER ACCIDENTLY BROKE LEVELER ARM ON AIRSUSPENSION. ANYWAY I AM PICKING UP MY H2 THIS AFTERNOON. I WILL REPORT BACK SOON.

ANGELO

Dan
08-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Great, thanks! Im definitely interested in you review http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

- Dan

http://www.ezwebsales.com/H2/1black.jpg SUT on order since 12/02 - 10 months to go!

ANGELO D.
09-17-2003, 05:21 PM
SORRY FOR THE DELAY GUYS ON MY AIRLOCKER REPORT.
AIRLOCKER HAS BEEN INSTALLED AND WORKS GREAT. FOR THOSE SERIOUS OFFROADERS I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I HAVE 2/SWITCHES MOUNTED UNDER MY STEERING WHEEL. ONE SWITCH FOR COMPRESSOR AND THE OTHER FOR FRONT LOCKER. WHEN FRONT END IS LOCKED UP, I CAN CLIMB JUST ABOUT ANYTHING UNTIL H2 FEELS LIKE ITS GOING TO FLIP OVER BACKWARDS. WHEN YOU LOCK IN THE FRONT AIRLOCKER YOUR STEERING GETS VERY HEAVY AS BOTH WHEELS START TO PULL, THIS AIRLOCKER IS LAST RESORT FOR ME IN TOUGHEST OFFROAD SITUATION. WHEN ENGAGED YOUR VEHICLE BECOMES VERY DIFFICULT TO TURN AND BOTH WHEELS WANT TO PULL STRAIGHT. THE BOTTOM LINE IS AIRLOCKER IS QUITE EFFECTIVE AND WELL WORTH HAVING WHEN YOUR 4LOW REAR LOCK CAN'T GET THE JOB DONE. ALSO, FOR YOUR INFORMATION THE FRONT AIRLOCKER ENGAGES AND DISENGAGES VERY QUICKLY WITH THE FLICK OF 2/SWITCHES. WHEN DISENGAGED H2 DRIVES SAME AS STOCK. I TOLD YOU GUYS EARLIER I WAS HAVING THE 456/GEARS INSTALLED BECAUSE I RUN 37/IN TIRES. JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW I LOVE THE 456/GEARS WITH THE BIGGER TIRES, THIS ALSO MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE ON HILL CLIMBING.

ANGELO

Buckeye Hummer
09-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Angelo,

The most important question: How much would that rrrrrrrrrrrrun me? Why did you get it before me?

Pics and video going over some sick terrain would be nice. Sounds like a must see. Please post.

ANGELO D.
09-17-2003, 05:58 PM
BUCKEYE, THE AIRLOCKER IS AROUND US$1000.00
INSTALLED AND WIRED UP WITH SWITCHES. THE 456/GEARS WERE A LITTLE OVER US$ 1000.00, HAD THE GEARS AND AIRLOCKER DONE AT THE SAME TIME AND COST ABOUT US$2200.00. THE COMPANY THAT DID THIS FOR ME IS RIGHT GEAR AND AXLE, THEIR
WEBSITE IS RIGHTGEAR.COM *** CONTACT: DAN WILLIAMS. WHEN, INSTALLING THE AIRLOCKER THEIR IS SOME MACHINING NECESSARY, SO YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SHOP DO THE WORK.
GOOD LUCK. I SEND SOME PICTURES WHEN I GET A CHANCE. ANGELO

buddy
09-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Angelo,

I checked with my dealer a couple of weeks ago on just the gear change, 7 hrs for the rear alone at $75. per hour. It appears you got a good install, a good price, at a good shop.

The H2 always seemed to me like it needed lower gearing. Maybe someday I'll get around to swapping out the 4:10's. Thanks for the update.

Buckeye Hummer
09-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Angelo,

That's pretty incredible. I think we would all be interested in seeing some install pics as well as your rig on the trail. Very cool and effective mod, much better than raising it etc. It sounds like you really took the time to make it super hummer! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

ANGELO D.
09-22-2003, 01:12 PM
couple of pictures of my H2 climbing short techical hill this weekend.

ANGELO D.
09-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Try picture 1/more time.

RonB
10-19-2003, 02:25 PM
Angelo D, any updates on the air-lockers after another month of using it? Did you have to install a addition air compressor or a heavy duty one? Or is the stock one sufficient?

Sounds like the front locker is the way to go.

Ron

ANGELO D.
10-21-2003, 06:05 PM
RON, I INSTALLED ADDITIONAL COMPRESSOR THAT CAME WITH THE FRONT AIRLOCKER. IT WAS INSTALLED UNDER THE HOOD AND THAT WAS THE WAY TO GO. DIDN'T WANT TO WORRY ABOUT USING EXISTING COMPRESSOR AND WHETHER OR NOT IT HAD ENOUGH PRESSURE. JUST A FEW HUNDRED EXTRA.
GOOD LUCK!

RonB
11-08-2003, 05:55 AM
here's a silly question...what's the diff between an air-locker and an e-locker? You obviously chose on over the other, did the other have some disadvantage or would it not work at all?

thanks, Ron