PDA

View Full Version : E-Locker Installation Questions/Advice

Bevo
02-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Looking at the Eaton front e-locker but have some questions. How complicated was the install? I'm pretty good mechanically but haven't done any gear work and won't have access to any specialized tools. I'm guessing that it will require several... MIC's, gear puller, press etc. Has anyone done one themselves?

If not, what would be a fair price for professional installation?

How are the controls hooked up?

I'm hoping to wire it into the existing rear controls so that it is a one button operation and all of the computerized protection for the rear work on the front as well.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Bevo
02-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Looking at the Eaton front e-locker but have some questions. How complicated was the install? I'm pretty good mechanically but haven't done any gear work and won't have access to any specialized tools. I'm guessing that it will require several... MIC's, gear puller, press etc. Has anyone done one themselves?

If not, what would be a fair price for professional installation?

How are the controls hooked up?

I'm hoping to wire it into the existing rear controls so that it is a one button operation and all of the computerized protection for the rear work on the front as well.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

alecs wife
02-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Read this link
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=2796043935

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2

Cranky Steve
02-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Just a bit of advise, you don't want the front and rear to activate together. When equipped with a selectable locker front and rear, 80% of the time or more you only need the rear. You only want to use the front when it's really needed, since it will effect the steering when engaged.

Some Selectable setups are wired in such a way that the front can not be activated unless the rear is.

As far as gear setup, it's well worth the money to have a good gear shop set it up. Diff failures due to poor setup can get expensive quickly. To bad your not on the west coast, we have a great guy here in Nor Cal and Crash is the man up in the Northwest.

By all means do go for getting the front setup with an Eaton or ARB, it's totally cool when you lock the front and can just ease over a tough obstacle without even spinning a tire.

BS Member since '04

www.4-wheelin.com (http://www.4-wheelin.com)
Pirate4x4.com Vendor & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-04-2004, 04:26 AM
Dealer took a day and a half to put my Eaton front locker in. labor $1450. Eaton on ebay $621 $25 shiping. Dealer also added bearing for $150 each for 2 $300. This was the guy that knew how to do it and had all the tools. He's the dealer mech that goes on all the Hummer runs.

04 Yel H2, Eaton lockers, SMA HD brush guard, XD9000i, Garmin StreetPilot 3

[This message was edited by It's a Dry Heat on 03-03-04 at 11:18 PM.]

DURAMAX TIM
03-04-2004, 01:34 PM
I put gear swaps and detroits in before and $1450 seems like a lot unless it included everything but I see it didn't.
150/ea for bearings is way over $$$,complete rear end kits are less than $150.

Yell'r 04 Lux w/ air, sunroof,F&R brush bars
04 Chevy D/A CC SLT LB

cinci
03-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Dry Heat,

I had mine installed by a mechanic that used to be the head Hummer mechanic for the local dealer. He left the dealership about 6 months ago and started his own shop. He cut me a deal on a lower rate since I was the first install and he thought it would take him longer. He charged me for four hours of installation time at $65 an hour plus $135 for both bearings and $70 for two bottles of GMs synthetic gear lube. My guy said he will probably charge around $350 labor in the future for installs.

I found the locker on sale at truckperformance.com for $485 plus shipping but I believe they have gone back up to %585.

Thanks,
David
Black H2

alecs wife
03-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Go head rub it in Cinci!!!

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2