PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme exhaust question.

Alley
05-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Is the Xtreme muffler and air intake a dirrect bolt on? As long as theres no cutting, welding, or drilling, I can most likely do it myself.

Also, I went with the Xtreme intake since it uses the stock airbox. But can I still upgrade the modular tube with the Airraid modular intake tube for maximum benifits?

Thx.

Alley
Is the Xtreme muffler and air intake a dirrect bolt on? As long as theres no cutting, welding, or drilling, I can most likely do it myself.

Also, I went with the Xtreme intake since it uses the stock airbox. But can I still upgrade the modular tube with the Airraid modular intake tube for maximum benifits?

Thx.

Alley

Thx.

HGW
05-03-2004, 01:12 AM
Do not know about the muffler. It sure looks like you will have to go to a good welder and take yours off and then weld on their muffler. I will find out soon since I am speaking to them about high flow cats this week.

The air intake install is easy.

Also, the Airaid MIT comes with hardware to connect to the factory box or to their Airaid box. I recommend it.

Alley
05-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Hmmm...So you have to cut the old muffler out? That doesn't seem right. Especially when other brands say, "No cutting, No welding, bolt in installation" Like Corsa. They have a new muffler so it shouldn't be any different.

HGW
05-03-2004, 10:42 AM
I agree---I will find out the story for you.

TBarrow
05-03-2004, 11:49 AM
The other kits also include all new tailpipes from the cats back. The xtreme is a MUFFLER replacement only.

drmiles
05-03-2004, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alley:
Hmmm...So you have to cut the old muffler out? QUOTE]

I have the Extreme flow exhaust..

Old exhaust had to be cut off and the new welded on. Local Exhaust shop charged $40.00 to do it all. Love the sound and the increase power (at least it sounds like I have more power).

HGW
05-03-2004, 04:00 PM
All the above is correct-----you need to have the muffler welded on and does not include tailpipes--just ordered high flow cats from Dennise at Extreme.

The SMA true dual is a bolt on system and includes some good looking pipes and tips along with the muffler.

Alley
05-03-2004, 04:17 PM
So you have to have the muffler cut off for the Xtreme exhaust. But do you have to have it cut off if you go with a Corsa? It says its dirrect bolt on, so why would you have to cut the old muffler out for one system and not the other? Is it because those other kits include the new tailpipe and stuff?

Bevo
05-03-2004, 07:03 PM
On the Corsa, you have to cut the 2 pipes 2 inches in front of the muffler. Easy to do with a tail pipe cutter that you can get from any auto parts store for under $20... AutoZone may even allow you to borrow one - I think they have a tool loaner program. I did the Corsa myself and it was simple. Tail pipe cutter and 15mm socket was all you need. Be sure to apply anti-sieze lubricant to all the bolts and WD 40 the rubber hangers to ease their removal from the old exhaust.

Big Z
05-03-2004, 07:53 PM
I have the Extreme system on my rig. Been real happy with it since 11-02. The only thing I've changed is the intake, I use the STOCK filter now. I do like K&N, but in the H2s case--you would never know the difference! --plus, its easier to change, there are no warranty issues in wet conditions, and as mentioned, no noticeable change in performance.

If you go with the Extreme intake, you really need TWO FILTERS, you can't just pop the stock filter back in while you process the dirty K&N filter.

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Fubar
05-04-2004, 02:54 AM
Sounds like you guys all went with either the extreme or corsa. I've been looking at Gibson since my local dealer wants $1,300.00 to purchase and install the corsa. I can get into the Gibson set up for less then half that. From what I'm being told by others of this gorup it really doesn't matter what exahust system you use they all perform about the same so why pay the extra money for the Corsa? Just some toughts. Love the group and it's support keep up the great work people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Z:
I have the Extreme system on my rig. Been real happy with it since 11-02. The only thing I've changed is the intake, I use the STOCK filter now. I do like K&N, but in the H2s case--you would never know the difference! --plus, its easier to change, there are no warranty issues in wet conditions, and as mentioned, no noticeable change in performance.

If you go with the Extreme intake, you really need TWO FILTERS, you can't just pop the stock filter back in while you process the dirty K&N filter.

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bevo
05-04-2004, 07:42 AM
You can get the corsa for about $700 at www.hummer-parts.com (http://www.hummer-parts.com)

Fubar
05-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Bevo,
thanks I am aware of that the dealer wants nearly $500 to install. I guess I could take it to a muffler shop. is there really any difference between the manufactors? I don't beliveve Xtremeflow's claims of improved gas mileage. It doesn't look like other that have installed the product received the boost in milleage either. So basically I'm back to personal perferance which since I've never purchase an exhaust system before I'm a little lost.
Thanks again for the link to the Corsa product.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bevo:
You can get the corsa for about $700 at http://www.hummer-parts.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big Z
05-04-2004, 06:35 PM
It cost me a hundred bucks to have the Muffler installed. I put the cold air intake on myself, and I get a steady 12MPG.

Bevo
05-05-2004, 06:44 AM
Fubar,
I can't give you any info about the Xtremeflow muffler nor about their claims of hp/mpg gains. You may or may not see noticeable improvements in hp/mpg; it really is vehicle specific.

Corsa is the ONLY GM licensed after market exhaust and can not be used as an excuse by GM to void your warranty.

After ALL the mods that I installed, I saw about 1 MPG gain. The truck gets driven about 80 miles per day - a combination of Hwy and stop/go traffic. It use to average between 12.5 and 13 mpg on a tank of gas. It now gets between 13.5 and 14 mpg per tank. However, the mpg gains will never justify the cost of the mods. I did them because I wanted to.

Bevo
05-05-2004, 12:21 PM
MPG #'s Mild Atlanta Traffic http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bevo
05-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Moderate Atlanta traffic http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Fubar
05-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Bevo,
Thank you for taking the time to grab a camera then the additional effort of posting. I appreicate it. I am getting about 12mpg right now regardless of how I drive. Well so long as I keep it under 100 and out of the 4000rpm range. Since I just spent over 3 grand for the extended warranty I guess I'll go with the Corsa. The last thing I need is to have the warranty voided. I think it is also one of the only systems to replace the exhaust pipes with ones that don't hang 2 inches below that of stock. I don't know if the truck will ever see large bolders going under it but just in case I don't want to leave part of the exhaust system on the trail.

Like you I am planning on installing the Airaid Cold air filter system and possibly upgrading the spark wires and plugs.

Thanks again for you input.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bevo:
Moderate Atlanta traffic http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>