PDA

View Full Version : Chrome latch spring question

vip808
08-26-2005, 03:21 AM
I just purchased the chrome latch spring from Moss and I'm having problems with the install. Since I haven't heard from them I thought I'd ask the experts.
Actually I tried to install them but the pin for the chrome l/s seems bigger than the hole. I have the factory chrome latches. Should I try to tap it in? Bore out the latch hole?
Has anyone purchased or installed one like this? If so, did you have any problems with the install?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.mossh2.com/Graphics/Products/Large/118-817_1.jpg

vip808
08-26-2005, 03:21 AM
I just purchased the chrome latch spring from Moss and I'm having problems with the install. Since I haven't heard from them I thought I'd ask the experts.
Actually I tried to install them but the pin for the chrome l/s seems bigger than the hole. I have the factory chrome latches. Should I try to tap it in? Bore out the latch hole?
Has anyone purchased or installed one like this? If so, did you have any problems with the install?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.mossh2.com/Graphics/Products/Large/118-817_1.jpg

H2BRUTE
08-26-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm no expert, but I had the same problem. Ended up boring the hole out, ever so slightly. It's got to fit, but snugly. if you use too big a bit, you ruin it..

vip808
08-27-2005, 12:47 AM
thanks H2Brute.. I emailed Moss Motors and they thought I was trying to get the horizontal pin out.. now I've got to wait for them to reply again.. I want to know if the manufacture is machining the pin too big..I don't really want to bore out the factory latches so I'm saving that for a "last resort" kind of thing.
thanks again H2Brute!

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
08-27-2005, 07:52 AM
Your latches are most likely not factory. I know this is hard to believe but i had some after market springs that fit latches that came on rig from dealer and decided to buy a new style set made by a company who is GM part provider but, sells them aftermarket. My so called triple chromed had pitted in less than 6 months. There really nice springs would not fit My latches for the some reason. i called and I was told very nicely that I did not have factory GM latches. No way they were on the rig when I picked it up, Yes way. Let me send You what We sell to the factory. Ok Everything fit perfect to My surprise. I called back paid for the latches and asked how they new. She said some dealers just do not order them with them and like anyone else buy some for less and do not know they are not factory spec and put on the cheap ones not realizing the difference. She gave the reason i was able to confirm they sold GM to GM but, i cannot share or i will not get anymore prototypes as these were and i had to talk her out of one of the ten pair they made to take to GM that should end up replaceing the spring available someday. It is sealed and cannot get ruined by grit etc. You can find them on certain sites if you will look around for a spring that looks different than the others. Moss may be selling this spring I have not looked but, have a new mag so i will check, no not the one. But, most likely built to GM spec and the latch may not be. Surprised me but, was proved to Me. If I could tell You what special work this company did for GM You would be convinced but, all i can say is If you ask for GM OEM spec made latch and springs they will match. if one is not they will not match. It was proven to me.

TAZ

RJD
08-27-2005, 05:30 PM
What you describe is a common problem with this particular type of Chrome Latch Spring. I purchased a set last year (August 04) from a seller in Toms River NJ, via e-bay, and upon installing same found that the pins from the Chrome Latch Spring would not easily fit into the H2s OEM Chrome Latch Top and Bottom pieces.

The solution is to get a small circular file, one that is smaller in diameter at the beginning yet gets wider towards the middle / end, that can be easily inserted into the holes of the Chrome Latch Top and Bottom pieces and then file the holes in the Chrome Latch Top and Bottom pieces just a little (about three or four times by inserting the circular file into the hole and moving it in and out with a circular, twisting motion). Then apply a very, very small amount of oil (any will do) to the Chrome Latch Spring pins with your finger, and the pins from the Chrome Latch Spring will easily yet snugly fit into the Chrome Latch Top and Bottom pieces.

You should also put a small amount of oil into the top opening of each of the Chrome Latch Spring housings to prevent them from rusting and seizing. This is a common problem since these open holes will allow water into the inner housing of the spring, which over time will cause rusting and seizing of the springs. I did not do that originally, and the bottom portion of the Chrome Latch Spring just last week separated from the top housing and fell off the hood, taking with it the bottom Chrome Latch.

Also be sure to tighten the small hex nuts (top and bottom) on the back of the Chrome Latch Springs that hold the pins. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, ALLOW FOR SOME SLIGHT SHIFTING OF THE TWO PINS AS WELL AS MOVEMENT OF THE PINS WHEN OPENING AND CLOSING THE HOOD.

When you reinstall the top Chrome Latch (with the Chrome Latch Spring attached) to your hood, do not tighten the two Chrome Latch nuts all the way. You should then close your hood fully and place a large piece of white masking tape on the hood directly under the Chrome Latch Spring for adjustment purposes. Close the bottom Chrome Latch fully and align the Chrome Latch Spring so that it fits snug and is straight not crooked. Mark the outline of both sides of the Chrome Hood Spring with a pencil on the masking tape and then open the hood and tighten the top Chrome Latch making sure the Chrome Latch Spring is aligned perfectly with the pencil marks on the white masking tape. It should now fit perfectly straight!

Once or twice a year, just add a small amount of oil to the top opening of the Chrome Hood Springs in order to prevent / minimize any rusting of the inner spring.

vip808
08-27-2005, 06:22 PM
thanks Taz for the info.. and thank you RJD for the detailed info!! Thanks for taking the time to write such a informative post!
Thanks again my brothers!