PDA

View Full Version : Iced Road question

Texas Red
01-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Here's the scenario: Pavement iced over solid. Must get to work. Expected max speed is 35 mph. Stock tires, no chains.

Question: What is best 4wd setting for the H2?

Texas Red
01-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Here's the scenario: Pavement iced over solid. Must get to work. Expected max speed is 35 mph. Stock tires, no chains.

Question: What is best 4wd setting for the H2?

Big Z
01-04-2003, 02:10 PM
High Loc T/C On, Go slower than 35 MPH, less if the conditions dictate (very poor traction, poor breaking, others sliding all over the place ect.) .. Good rule of thumb- stay clear of others, don't hammer the brakes, or get into situation where you have to panic brake, you can't stop. Just take your time and go slow.

Big Z
01-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Traction tires or devices required. Our family is worth every advantage afforded for safety. This is the answer I give to everyone that has asked me " why do you put studded tires all the way around?" SAFETY, More security, better traction, and there required for the Mtn. Passes. On ice, ALL rigs are pretty much the same, It's what's between the ears that make the most difference--4wd, t/c, studded & Sipped tires are considerable advantages. If you are able to find an Icy parking lot, it is a good place to learn some of the other capabilites of your rig--not stoping, poor traction, and lack of control! Do Not Use LO LOC. Just my opinion though, only been doing it for 20 years or so! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Texas Red
01-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Good tips Big Z. I've driven on ice with rear wheel and front wheel drive vehicles. We don't get hardly any snow here, but a couple of annual ice storms are par. I am aware of speed and breaking issues but never had a 4WD before. Even though the H2 is heavy (and may break loose quicker), the 4WD and T/C on should help.

H2Jim
01-05-2003, 03:13 AM
When you say t/c on, do you mean leave it as it is (traction control on full time), or turn on t/c 2 at the dash? I thought t/c 2 is for deep snow or sand where you want to keep some tire rotation...

Big Z
01-05-2003, 07:22 AM
Section 4, pages 9&10 of the manuel tells about the t/c and t/c2. Traction control is on @ start-up. Given tex-Reds scenario: Pavement iced over solid, I'd push the button for t/c2, it sure wouldn't hurt anything.

TonkaH2
01-06-2003, 06:10 PM
I don't think you'd want MORE wheelspin, so regular T/C would be better, right?

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order [forever]
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com (http://www.sunspotnatural.com)

SJ
01-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Texas Red:

Ice and more ice - you just described where I live! My entire driveway and much of the hill is iced over, so here's how I do it:

High Locked (just like Big Z stated); lead yourself by a long margin for braking and don't make sudden steering changes. This means going especially slow around turns and taking the widest approach angle that conditions (and cross traffic) will permit.

The only place I had a bit of difficulty was up a steep icy grade, but the wheels gripped very well at steady speed of 25 mph.

H2Jim
01-06-2003, 07:36 PM
That's what I thought (about more wheelspin in t/c 2), but apparently "Section 4, pages 9&10 of the manuel" says different. I didn't find it the first 2 times I read the manual, or the third when I was directed to those pages. It seems to me that the last thing you want on ice is more wheelspin.