PDA

View Full Version : Paint Problems

LoStMaTt
11-22-2003, 01:16 AM
I've been having a lot of problems with the finish on my black H2...Buffer marks have started to show up, and the wash I am using isn't working (it is a wash/wax solution called ZIP). What is the best car wax to get that does the job?
I was also wondering what the best stuff to use on the seats is. I've been using the Armoral Wipes, but I just about slide out of the seat.

LoStMaTt
11-22-2003, 01:16 AM
I've been having a lot of problems with the finish on my black H2...Buffer marks have started to show up, and the wash I am using isn't working (it is a wash/wax solution called ZIP). What is the best car wax to get that does the job?
I was also wondering what the best stuff to use on the seats is. I've been using the Armoral Wipes, but I just about slide out of the seat.

Mikei
11-22-2003, 08:36 AM
LoStMaTt,
Regarding your finish, like you I have a black H2 - it is inherit that you will see swirl marks and scratches more than any other color. You can minimize this by rinsing wash mitt between panels, using a good quality carwash and using a good wax(such as Klasse). With black, it's always going to be a maintanence issue but there are really good swirl mark removers and waxes out there.
Do you have leather seats? If you do, you shouldn't be using Armorall. Armorall is for plastic, vinyl & rubber (that's why you're slipping in your seat). For leather care, you should be using a leather cleaner and conditioner like Lexol.
Mike

LoStMaTt
11-23-2003, 02:52 AM
The Armorall wipes I have are for leather...I have other ones for glass and plastic/vinyl also. They're pretty handy. Thanks for the advice. Can I get the Klasse from a local place like Advanced Auto or auto zone or would I have to order it?

Mikei
11-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Normal auto stores where I'm at don't sell Klasse. Your best bet is to buy it online because of availability and price.
Mike

DRTYFN
11-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Lost,
I agree with Mikei, Lexol is the best way to maintain your leather seats.
Don't use Armorall wipes on the interior of any vehicle. Ever noticed the film on the inside of your windows? It's from using products like Armorall on the inside of the vehicle.
A great car wash soap you might want to try is Zymol.

Frank Hewitt
11-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Armorall is ****. I used the wipes (inside) and had my whole interior squeeking like a new yugo-- it was embarrassing. If you have spent your dough on purchasing a sweet-as-hell H2 which happens to be entirely plastic inside (aside the leather interior) do yourself a favor and treat armorall like the plague. AVOID IT!

gasman

Frank Hewitt
11-23-2003, 08:18 PM
I have not ever heard of Lexol. Is that available at the standard auto part shops?
Thanks.

gasman

Frank Hewitt
11-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Sorry to have deviated from the original post of exterior care. I'd be happy to know about your preferances on exterior care. I'm reminded of how glad I am that I didn't buy black! What a sweet color-- yet what a pain in the ass to take care of!

gasman

cmb31078
11-24-2003, 05:04 AM
I have seen Lexol in some places locally but very pricey. I would just order online as you will get a better price. THey have a cleaner and a conditioner. Works great. As for wax I use P2S or Meguiars. They are both great. As for swirls I used to have a black car and 3M makes a great swirl remover wax. Will probably have to do a search online. I will look around here for the bottle for more details for you. Hope this helps.

Craig

04 Pewter H2- Lux,nav, air suspension

mboard
11-25-2003, 01:17 AM
I have black paint and have had on show cars. Yes a pain to take care of with har off roading. Magnetic shields a plus for off road. For wax there is none better than Race Glaze, which is available at better automotive paint wholesalers. Easy on off.

H2BIG
11-25-2003, 01:57 AM
I used Meguires Gold and got a nice shine on my pewter finish. Problem though - I got some on the black plastic and the white residue just won't come off no matter how much I try to buff it or scrub it off with car wash or Dawn. Any suggestions?

Brian
03 Pewter H2 Lux, Airaid filter/MIT, Corsa Touring

mboard
11-25-2003, 11:51 AM
When I wax (buffer) my black H2 I tape off all the black plastic with painters edging (6"wide paper w/ masking tape on edge) that is available at Home Depot and most all auto stores. Takes about 10-15 minutes to tape off entire H2. With area taped off it is very quick to wax vehicle without any worry of wax on plastic.
For wax that is on plastic I recommend a small brush (stiff tuthbrush) with soap and scrub area. About once every 3 weeks after washing H2 I also use Mequires "Back to Black" which makes trim on H2 better than new looking.

Marc
Black H2
Black Grill, Black Wheels. Perormance engine package,etc

Klaus
11-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Here is a link to an earlier thread about wax on plastic:

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=7216078972

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."

Dan
11-25-2003, 12:14 PM
I use Collinite #845 Liquid Insulator Wax:

http://www.collinite.com/auto.htm

Stuff goes on like mayo & polishes with minimal effort. I've been using it for years and will never use anything else. It keeps the water beading for a long time, even after many washes. Best part about is that you can get it on the black plastic & it doesnt turn chalky white!

- Dan

-------------------------------------------------
SUT on order 12/02. 11 months down, 7 to go!
-------------------------------------------------