PDA

View Full Version : Tire Problems

JamesT
04-14-2004, 03:17 PM
I am having Nitto Mud Grapplers installed and the shop that is installing them is running in to problems. They cant seem to get them balanced correctly. They are trying to balance them on the truck too. Anyone know who I can call or does anyone have any insight? i REALLY want these tires but this shop is telling me that they are "tough" to balance and I may have to suffer with the poor ride. That BS of course but any suggections will help. I tried to call tech support at Nitto but cant find a #. Frustrated. James

JamesT
I am having Nitto Mud Grapplers installed and the shop that is installing them is running in to problems. They cant seem to get them balanced correctly. They are trying to balance them on the truck too. Anyone know who I can call or does anyone have any insight? i REALLY want these tires but this shop is telling me that they are "tough" to balance and I may have to suffer with the poor ride. That BS of course but any suggections will help. I tried to call tech support at Nitto but cant find a #. Frustrated. James

JamesT

DRTYFN
04-14-2004, 03:35 PM
My IROKs each took 5 ounces. The best balanced big tires I've ever seen.

Detonate
04-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Discount Tire did my 37's no problem. And they were cheap to boot.

JamesT
04-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Phil, did they do them ON the truck?

TBarrow
04-15-2004, 01:58 AM
Discount Tire here balances mine every 3-5k miles.

RIC-H0
04-15-2004, 02:29 AM
I actually took mine over to Costco over by UTSA. They were the cheapest in town, and the guys were the nicest guys around. They said they could do up to a 40" tire if they had to. I ended up with 10 to 13oz an each rim, but it rides pretty smooth. The problem I had was, with the Velocity 8's, you cannot place weights on the outside of the rim, so the side to side balance could not be adjusted. They actually had to remount the tire in different positions in order to get the tires close to being balanced before adding any weights. LOTS of work for $6 a tire. I tipped them well though! You could always go with a couple of packs of Equal(I think that's what it's called) in the tires. You wouldn't need any kind of weights on those pretty rims, but you would need a drier attached to your air compressor every time you added air to your tires. James give me a call if you have any other questions.

Ric-H2

JamesT
04-15-2004, 11:18 AM
OK...Does this sound right? They are telling me now that the reason my tires wont balance right is that my wheels are 10" and the tires need a 12" wheel. The tires fit on the 10" wheel...ahhhhhh!!!!! I am not very educated in tires and wheels so forgive my seemingly ignorant questions...thats for you DRTY so you dont beat me up too bad... The truck looks great. I just cant drive it. Sort of like being married I guess. Get it? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Circuitguy
04-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Just had four of the same tires mounted and balanced. No problems and the most any wheel took was 6oz! Tell-em it helps to turn the balancer on! Hehe! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif BIG-C

RIC-H0
04-15-2004, 12:49 PM
That is a bunch of crap... I've got mine ruinning on 8.5"(Stock width), and they run fine.
I've had my SSR's balanced on both my Factory wheels, and my EVO's (which are both the exact same size) I had them installed at 2 different places, and both had minor problems, they both balanced out fine!

Tell them to get their lazy asses out there, and use what little knowledge exist in their pumkin heads, and figure it out!

Give me a call if you have anymore problems, and I'll go with you and set them straight.

Ric-H2

JamesT
04-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Just to clarify...The tires and whells are:

38 in Nitto Mud Grappler Tires, 18 X 10's

RIC-H0
04-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Should not make a difference.
This wheel tire combo should work fine!
Do you know these guys trying to mount your tires. Because if you don't, I would go somewhere else quick, and not pay them for any work they may have done(or not done).
Just my 2 cents worth.

Ric-H2

HGW
04-17-2004, 10:23 PM
James--answered your PM---you DO NOT need 12" rims---in fact 12" rims do not do well on an H2 for a number of reasons.

H2_SUT_SC
04-18-2004, 05:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2mildandwild:
James--answered your PM---you DO NOT need 12" rims---in fact 12" rims do not do well on an H2 for a number of reasons. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Curious, what reasons would those be? As I'm thinking of going with an 11" wide rim.

HGW
04-18-2004, 10:21 AM
If you go with a 12" rim with a stock 4.5" backset, the wheels really stick out of the rig. I have 10" on 15.5 tires and get stones kicking up all the time. So far-- no damage. I am out about 2-2.5 inches. If you get a 12" with 4.5 backset (at least on WELD Evos) the extra 2" are on the outside of the rim, sticking them out even further.

If you find a rim with a different backset, the tires will move into the wheel well further and may rub. They MAY work but it is an expensive experiment. It will depend on the tire width but 10" look great on any tire 15.5 inche wide and I have not seen any wider than that in a 38" tire.

I spoke with my WELD factory supplier about the above-------WELD 12" are not designed for the H2. Certainly WELD is concerned with call backs and liability so that may be why I get this answer---but my rep is sharp. I did not get 12" for this reason.

Please let me know where you are getting 11" wheels, brand and model--I am curious--haven't seen them.

I am always open to hearing about this subject---I spend a lot of time pondering 10 vrs 12.

Thanks