PDA

View Full Version : Emergency LED or strobe lights

Dick Renaud
12-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Any of you cops or smoke-eaters have suggestions where and how to mount LED or Strobes on the H2.
I am mounting the extreme light bars on front and back of the roof and thinking of mounting some 911 EP LED bars on the under side of the bars.

EX-cop, PI and 32 year Fireman/arsen investigator.

Dick Renaud
12-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Any of you cops or smoke-eaters have suggestions where and how to mount LED or Strobes on the H2.
I am mounting the extreme light bars on front and back of the roof and thinking of mounting some 911 EP LED bars on the under side of the bars.

EX-cop, PI and 32 year Fireman/arsen investigator.

Klaus
12-18-2003, 12:14 AM
You need to "talk" to Mike (Centerfire).

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."

HummMe
12-18-2003, 12:45 AM
I just ordered a pair of grille mount sealed strobes(Galls.com) to mount in my front grille between the slats. Then I am putting white strobe bulbs in my DRL housings.I already have a Whelen control box from my previous truck. Should get me plenty noticed. I will be doing the install within the next two weeks will post pix later if you are interseted.

Centerfire
12-18-2003, 12:59 AM
I have them on order.( well almost on order). we are trying to get set up as dealers for same..
I put strobes in the DRL.. they are use less to me for anything else.. Ive put strobes in the back up lights.. Put red/blue wigwags behind grill and trying to figure out how to get the little red littles on the top of the H2 in the back to wig wag but still work normally. I've tryed to get some of the new leds from CLifford mfg. on order sonce may , finally gave up.. THey are selling level III leds. very bright. One smart LED will run 5 slave LED's.

If the 911Ep don't work, I may have to go the same route as I did on my Suburban. I put extra driving lights on top. We took out the bulbs and replaced with Strobes.

I put a Gobi roof rack on top.. I plan to put either to 12" hard wired units on front and tow on the back of the rack.. or one 29"..I have the Realwheel over the hood brush guard coming ( we just got set up as dealers for them this week).. I will put the big hella's on them and I can hide a couple of strobes in each of them. AS you know nothing wirse then not enough sparkling lights on a traffic stop, or some blue hair will run you over. My biggest concern is keeping the interior as clean as possible. DOn't want a big squak box and switch panel cluttering up the fine looks of my H2..It is my personal vec., However is occasional called upon for LE work.. Hope this helps would be happy to talk with via email or land line at our store.

MIke
POPGUNS Inc.
31 897-8660
info@popguns.com
YOu can also check out web site www.popguns.com (http://www.popguns.com) for my toll free number.. I can never remember the damn thing.

Dick Renaud
12-18-2003, 03:13 AM
Any Pictures would be great.

Centerfire,
I will call you Thurs.

H2mike
12-18-2003, 11:45 AM
I will get some pics for you guys today on the install. I get many of my products from www.strobesnmore.com (http://www.strobesnmore.com) . I have my hide-away strobes in the rear parking, brake, and reverse lights (6 total). In the front, I am down to 2 hide-away's in the parking lights. I did have 4 more installed in the headlights and DRL's. I lost these 4 due to the new lower valance with PIAA 520's and the HID headlights. I did not want to drill these lamp buckets. I have the Whelen Dash King dual stobe on the dash. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I installed the 2 Whelen slimlighter LED bars on the rear door (on the top) and ran the wiring through the OEM boot. I also installed a Sho-Me siren (control box modified and hidden).

Let me just say that I put a great deal of time in the installation. I just about modified everything so no wires/switches were seen on the products. I have done MANY strobe/emergency lighting installations on various vehicles. Just let me know what you need help with and I will be sure to give my input.

Once I get the pics today, I will give a better explination of each section of the install.

Mike - Station 38 Fire Chief -
'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID's, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA's, SMA HD Brush Gaurd w/ 2 PIAA 525's, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520's, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport exhaust, Husky Liners, 12 Hide Away Strobes, Whelen Dash Dual Strobe, 2 Whelen LED bars, Remote Mount Motorola Low Band, XM Radio

Centerfire
12-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Not goiong to be any help on the 911Ep product. Mfg. already has a local distibutor and don't wish to add a 2nd.. They will set me up thru them as a dealer.. They called with pricing.. We can purchase on lline for less then they want to sell them to us as a dealer. So far most economical pricing is from www.lshlights.net (http://www.lshlights.net) ..

Mike

H2mike
12-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Here is the front of the truck. The first pics just shows the dash strobe. As you can see, it is barely visible. Also, off topic, you can see the SMA HD Brush Gaurd, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520's, PIAA 525's on the gaurd, and the extreme tube on the roof.

'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID's, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA's, Warn 9.5ti winch, SMA HD Brush Gaurd w/ 2 PIAA 525's, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520's, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport exhaust, Husky Liners, 12 Hide Away Strobes, Whelen Dash Dual Strobe, 2 Whelen LED bars, Remote Mount Motorola Low Band, Sho-Me/Whelen Siren, XM Radio

H2mike
12-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Here is the dash strobe. I removed the stickers and the switches. I placed a piece of aluminum on the holes and made sure I knew what kind of truck I was driving with the sticker! I also ran the wires out the bottom and shaved the front angle off of the housing to fit the flat windshield. The defrost works fine http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

H2mike
12-18-2003, 01:43 PM
These are the LED bars on the rear door. This is the view looking from the inside-out. Like I said, I ran the wiring through the OEM boot and removed the stickers.

H2mike
12-18-2003, 01:45 PM
Another view of the rear LED with the door open. These measure about 16" long.

H2mike
12-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Here is where the front 6-pack Strobe box is mounted. It is tucked up high, under the carpet.

H2mike
12-18-2003, 01:48 PM
The rear strobe pack is mounted in the rear tire well cover. Just remove the plastic pocket and you have plenty of room inside.

H2mike
12-18-2003, 01:49 PM
The speaker for the siren is mounted on the passenger side of the wheel well.

H2mike
12-18-2003, 01:52 PM
The main switch panel is located on the console. The first 4 control the strobes and LED's. The 5th one is hard wired to the siren control box. This is so I can just flip the switch and the siren comes on. No playing around with multiple switches and an ugly control box. The box is modified and tucked up under the dash(cannot be seen!!).

H2mike
12-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Here is my flash light, with base charger. It is mounted in the passenger side rear pocket. Power is taken from the rear cig. plug.

H2mike
12-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Off topic pic...here is a Go Rhino black powdercoated rear step. Great for washing truck and backing into people http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

H2mike
12-18-2003, 02:10 PM
Here is a sample of the hide-away strobe mount. This is the front parking light. All wires in the install are loomed and all connections have dielectric grease. Also, the strobes have been sealed again with silicon to prevent any moisture in the lense.

Centerfire
12-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Dick

It was talking with you today.. I checked further into the install of the 911EP lights.. THe basic mounting bracket should work on the bars you wish to buy... The brackets have two holes in them that allows you to bolt to the bars and then allows for the bar to be rotated in order to get proper angle.

I've been on the phone since our conversation trying to find a dealer with a pair of WL 28's or 39's in Red/blue.. No luck yet. may have to go with 2 LS12 front and rear.

Mike<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dick Renaud:

EX-cop, PI and 32 year Fireman/arsen investigator.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Centerfire
12-18-2003, 03:34 PM
Chief

Nice clean set up.. They look like the heavier Radio Shack switches.. I had planned to do a similar set up, have the switches. Whenever I can get all my lights in order.. Still prefer to mount the lights outside. ( Concerned with drilling holes in the interior)..

Question for you Sir: The strobe pack under the carpet. Have you had any issues with heat. And do you run the packs very long or shut them down when you get on the scene. I've had heat issues with strobe packs in the past ,, when on a scene for extended time.. This is on of my primary reasons for going LED.

Again nice overall set up.

Mike<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2mike:
The main switch panel is located on the console. The first 4 control the strobes and LED's. The 5th one is hard wired to the siren control box. This is so I can just flip the switch and the siren comes on. No playing around with multiple switches and an ugly control box. The box is modified and tucked up under the dash(cannot be seen!!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Centerfire
12-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Chief

which siren box did you go with.. And by motified what did you do.. Are you able to rotate thru the various Whelp, phaser, hi-lo or are you sticking with one pattern. I forgot to ask in my previous ?.. Hell a Crown vic is a breeze to do especially if it isn't yours. But the H2 now this is a little different.

Thanks again

Mike<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2mike:
The main switch panel is located on the console. The first 4 control the strobes and LED's. The 5th one is hard wired to the siren control box. This is so I can just flip the switch and the siren comes on. No playing around with multiple switches and an ugly control box. The box is modified and tucked up under the dash(cannot be seen!!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Centerfire
12-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Dick

I just ordered two WL39"s from www.lshlights.com (http://www.lshlights.com) The pricing was good , the service is excellant so far. They are out of stock and will have them to me the 1st week of January.. Then I can finally get my H2 set up .

Mike

H2mike
12-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Mike,

I understand what you mean about the mounting(drilling holes). The only holes in the interior were the LED bars in the rear. The front strobe is help by double-sided tape.

The strobe pack under the carpet has never had a heat problem. I do leave it on the entire time I am on scene. The pack I have is made by NOVA. I have had no problems with this manufacturer. I have had multiple problems with Whelen packs...very sensitive to moisture.

The siren control was taken apart and the power wire was soldered direct. I also trimmed part of the box and wafer board to get it into position. I chose 1 selection (yelp) and directly soldered the switched output of the toggle switch to that point. If I had a 2-way toggle switch, I could have used it to select 2 tones. The reason I connected the siren this way, is because I have 1 to many things to do when I am responding (radio, cell phone, driving, etc.) and I figured that flipping the switch when I need it is the easy way out.

I will be adding more strobes, soon, to the unconnected wires up front. Cant leave them hangin!

'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID's, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA's, Warn 9.5ti winch, SMA HD Brush Gaurd w/ 2 PIAA 525's, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520's, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport exhaust, Husky Liners, 12 Hide Away Strobes, Whelen Dash Dual Strobe, 2 Whelen LED bars, Remote Mount Motorola Low Band, Sho-Me/Whelen Siren, XM Radio

Centerfire
12-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks.. I think I'm going to switch to the remote Federal siren box.. I have to read the instructions again. I believe I can use one toggle switch and hard wire to operate the tone change thru the factory horn button. I agree on playing with switches on the way to a scene, just avoiding the traffic is bad enough, especially when going in an undercover vec. Thanks again.

MIke

Dick Renaud
12-19-2003, 12:45 AM
And these guys think off-roading is a challenge. They need to do an emergency call during rush hour on icy roads. My hair gets grayer with every one. Thirty years of police calls and Thirty-two years of fire calls. There are no dark hairs on my head.

Centerfire
12-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Yep.. No problem going balls to the wall on a run, just can't bring myself to take my H2 where it will get hurt.

Mike