PDA

View Full Version : Portable DVD

Centerfire
12-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey .. need some input.... Thinking about gettinga portable DVD player for my Son for his little girls a to view on road trips to the other grand parents etc.. Needs to be portable as they may take either vec.. Usually my Daughter in laws Honda CRV sometimes my sons GM Truck..

So anybody have a history or experience with any of the units... All comments welcome.. & hell no I'm not putting in an overhead system in both their vec.. Not after the playhouse and pony cart and misc other spoit the grand kidd stuff awaiting Santa Claus

Thanks

Mike

Centerfire
12-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey .. need some input.... Thinking about gettinga portable DVD player for my Son for his little girls a to view on road trips to the other grand parents etc.. Needs to be portable as they may take either vec.. Usually my Daughter in laws Honda CRV sometimes my sons GM Truck..

So anybody have a history or experience with any of the units... All comments welcome.. & hell no I'm not putting in an overhead system in both their vec.. Not after the playhouse and pony cart and misc other spoit the grand kidd stuff awaiting Santa Claus

Thanks

Mike

RIC-H0
12-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Get everyone that is in the family a really nice gift all at once.
Get a laptop with a dvd drive. Your son can do his work, your daughter in-law can shop online in bed, and your grandkids can watch movies in any vehicle they want.
There is also a RF FM modulator available that can send the audio to the vehicles sound system.

Good Luck Shopping, Santa!

PARAGON
12-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Mike,

I bought one a little while back so it can be moved in and out of my wife's Denali and the grandparents' vehicles easily. We have banged it up pretty good and have used it quite a bit. There is also just a DVD version and/or just a VHS version. Below is a link to it at BestBuy.

John

Audiovox Portable DVD/VHS/CD Player (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384110553&skuId=5393139&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03097)

Hummer Man
12-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Just bought a nice little 7" LCD /DVD from target for $150.00 (Kawasaki brand of all things) comes with all the cord to charge the included rechargable batteries, headphones, TV hookup etc. Where this thing goes i dont want to lug a $600 laptop.

Hummer Man
12-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Whoops -I got it at TARGET!

Centerfire
12-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info... Don't want to go laptop.. Thinking about the portables that strap on to the back of the seat.. We've already purchased most of their Christmas.. As soon as the parts for my son's 69 Chev show up I'm done.... This is just an after thought. My daughter in law hauls the two little ones to her mothers every weekend ( a little over an hour one way).. The 2 1/2 year old is going on 40 and gets bored really fast.. Not that I care to much if she drives my Daughter in law nuts.. Just that little Elaine would enjoy a little more entertainment then torturing her 11 month old sister.. Thanks for the in put.. Our busines neighbor said that he just pick up one for his son from Sams club.. has to detachable monitors that can be straped to the back of the front seats.. I guess I'll have to renew our membership and go check it out..

Mike

PARAGON
12-09-2003, 10:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Centerfire:
Thanks for the in put.. Our busines neighbor said that he just pick up one for his son from Sams club.. has to detachable monitors that can be straped to the back of the front seats.. I guess I'll have to renew our membership and go check it out..

Mike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike,

Your neighbor has the audiovox system I have. You can have 2 detached monitors, comes with remote, but does not come with headphones, though there are speakers on each monitor.

Centerfire
12-09-2003, 10:16 PM
The girls are pretty young .. head phones are not an issue.. Besides I think My son and daughter in law need to be tortured with a n hour of Sponge bob or some equaly irritating noise... His mother and I had to put up with him and his little sister.. And I keep telling him payback is a bitch.. Just wait till you have one of your own.. & he does..

I will try to check them out tommorrow..

Mike

KesZR1
12-10-2003, 02:36 AM
if a new guy may ask?
I too grabbed one of those portables from Target for $@140. I wanted a laptop but when I tripped over that unit it seemed a shame to pass it up - now can go from car to car - etc. My question is if anyone has found a wa to mount or strap a portable down for baskseat passengers to use. I'd like to come up with something and as yet haven't - i just got it and haven't done more than try it in the living room - but the children are quite excited.

KES
1998 BMW 750il - Orient Blue - For Sale
2000 Volvo VNL 770
2003 Ford Expedition 6.0 PS, 5 spd
NCM - #4738
ICQ# - 18873747

Centerfire
12-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Don't know if it will work.. But they make some major velcro these days.

Mike

KesZR1
12-11-2003, 02:35 AM
:-)
Yes - They certainly do!!!
MOF - so major that I bet I'd end up ripping the cover off the center console when I triy to switch it over to the mrs truck <LOL>
but its certainly an idea and I appreicate the feedback. I've been thinking since posting that I'd like to try and figure a way to make a bracket that was removeable and would work off the back of the center console over the vents. that said - i'm not a fabricator - what I'm going to try - but have my doubts - is using a filler piece (foam, rubber, etc) to make the rear edge of the cetner console lid level and use a standarad quicl connect strap around the open player using the lid of the console as a hold down.
I'm guessing dvd changing will be compromised and also that my clumsy elbows will be banging into it too.
Just as an example of clumsy - on my 2nd or 3rd tank fill when we picked up the rig in MI (we're in MA) I left the rear roof compartment door open while I was out of the truck (keep the fuel, mileage log, calculator in there till we get some organization) - well - when I got back in the truck I hit the door with my head and knocked it clear across the rig. Being my anal self I "spazzed" out about my new truck before realizing the damage to my "used" cranium.
All is well today however - well - with the truck anyway.
Thanks again

KES
2003 sunset orange H2
2000 Volvo VNL 770
2003 Ford Expedition 6.0 PS, 5 spd
NCM - #4738
ICQ# - 18873747