PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Replace DRL's with HID?

AmericanPatriot
10-23-2005, 11:38 PM
I was looking to replace the 3157's with some HID. Anyone here done this? Did you just replace the bulb and put a ballast or did you retro fit any lights to fit the DRL light housing?

If you've done so please post some pics.

-Also, I did the DRL jumper in the fuse box so that my DRL's would come on with the Headlights. Will installing HID have any adverse affect? Could doing so blow the fuse?

AmericanPatriot
10-23-2005, 11:38 PM
I was looking to replace the 3157's with some HID. Anyone here done this? Did you just replace the bulb and put a ballast or did you retro fit any lights to fit the DRL light housing?

-Also, I did the DRL jumper in the fuse box so that my DRL's would come on with the Headlights. Will installing HID have any adverse affect? Could doing so blow the fuse?

VTSTOMPER
10-24-2005, 12:08 AM
Didn't HIDs4less do that?

I seem to remember many people getting burned by those guys, so I would stay away - if these guys are still around even.

But, I know it has been done.

Dick Renaud
10-24-2005, 09:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AmericanPatriot:

PIAA makes a HID that will fit the DRL. I bought a set from Moss Motors for my 06. Don't have the vehicle yet, but will pst pics when I get 8it done.

-Also, I did the DRL jumper in the fuse box so that my DRL's would come on with the Headlights. Will installing HID have any adverse affect? Could doing so blow the fuse? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dick Renaud
10-24-2005, 09:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Renaud:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AmericanPatriot:

-Also, I did the DRL jumper in the fuse box so that my DRL's would come on with the Headlights. Will installing HID have any adverse affect? Could doing so blow the fuse? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PIAA makes a HID that will fit the DRL. I bought a set from Moss Motors for my 06. Don't have the vehicle yet, but will pst pics when I get 8it done.

NJ H2
10-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Pittbullcpt replaced his DRL's with HID.

DeBest
10-25-2005, 09:50 AM
When you change the DRL's to HID do the fuses change and what effect might that have on the ECM when it detects the additional drain?

Dick Renaud
10-25-2005, 12:18 PM
You use the DRL lead to trigger a relay. The relay hot lead is connected to the positive battery lead and has it own inline fuse. The HIDs have a high amp surge when the first come on and then drop back while operating.