PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have some thoughts on this 2003 H2 deal?

Gunnar Fox
09-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Went to look at the H3 and fell in love with a nicely maintained and fully loaded 2003 H2 (35,000 miles) after trying it on a lark. After a marathon haggling session of some 4 hours, I was offered what has been represented as a good deal. This used H2 has been totally tricked out with every conceivable chrome feature and accent including the chrome tow package and a nice borla exhaust system. Perfect interior, DVD/TV package, etc. Asking $36,350. Seems like a decent price but almost out of original warranty. Would love to hear your reflections on it, whether I should extend the warranty or let it ride as the salesperson suggests.

My payments on a straight purchase on a 72-month term would be $684, nothing down.

Thanks everyone, for your patience. I am not much of a car guy and rarely purchase them, but this seems like a really wonderful machine.

Gunnar Fox

Gunnar Fox
09-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Went to look at the H3 and fell in love with a nicely maintained and fully loaded 2003 H2 (35,000 miles) after trying it on a lark. After a marathon haggling session of some 4 hours, I was offered what has been represented as a good deal. This used H2 has been totally tricked out with every conceivable chrome feature and accent including the chrome tow package and a nice borla exhaust system. Perfect interior, DVD/TV package, etc. Asking $36,350. Seems like a decent price but almost out of original warranty. Would love to hear your reflections on it, whether I should extend the warranty or let it ride as the salesperson suggests.

My payments on a straight purchase on a 72-month term would be $684, nothing down.

Thanks everyone, for your patience. I am not much of a car guy and rarely purchase them, but this seems like a really wonderful machine.

Gunnar Fox

Andre
09-18-2005, 02:26 AM
72 months...holy crap, truck is going to be 10 years old when your done paying for it

Gunnar Fox
09-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Team Hummer,

You make some good points about the 72-month lease being a long time, etc. But here is the thing: I am using it 100% for business (I have a 98 Saab for my personal use)and will wrap it with "KICK ASS IN COLLEGE" advertising material (http://www.kickasscampus.com). Thus, The American Jobs Creation Act of 2004 gives me an immediate tax deduction to $25,000. In addition, I can take normal depreciation (20%)on the remaining value. I may not even keep it for 72 months anyway OR, more likely, I may pay it off early. As for the truck being 9 years old, keep in mind I drive a 98' Saab and will until the steering wheel falls off so I tend to keep vehicles. And the beauty of this truck is that the body style will remain fairly constant. And as an impact advertising vehicle, this thing will never go out of style.

**Now then, my real question is -- is this thing priced right?**

Because if it is the right price and the right color for resale, this really may be a pretty good deal for me.

As for the repair issue, I would never go to the dealer unless I had a warranty, are you kidding me? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I attach some pics. As I said, the interior is perfect with DVD/TV.

All the best,
Gunnar Fox

timgco
09-18-2005, 01:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gunnar Fox:

Gunnar Fox </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could have a brand new H3 with a 4 year warranty for that. I'm not sure what interest rate they gave you, but that comes out to $49K for an 03 when you're all done paying. You could have a cheaper payment with the H3 and get a better interest rate on a new vehicle. I would not get the 03 without a warranty! I had one, I know.

4churchill
09-18-2005, 01:47 PM
just ran it through my computer system at the dealership....with $0 down @ 72 months they are prob charging 7.25% interest and i would guesstimate them to be making a pretty good profit margin....if you need guidance pm me.....good luck

ABOVE is based on 7.75% tax rate...if your tax is more or less it will affect what my calculations are either up or down

Gunnar Fox
09-18-2005, 09:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You could have a brand new H3 with a 4 year warranty for that. I'm not sure what interest rate they gave you, but that comes out to $49K for an 03 when you're all done paying. You could have a cheaper payment with the H3 and get a better interest rate on a new vehicle. I would not get the 03 without a warranty! I had one, I know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, as a full-time employee of a GM supplier I could have received a $3500 discount off of a new luxury package H3 for around $33,000 but I just didn't enjoy the drive hauling around 4700 lbs with 220 hp. It didn't help that I had just driven a 280 HP Infiniti FX35 just before the H3 (apples to mangoes, I know, but you get the point). The H2 on the other hand was a lot of fun for me to drive, and still seems absurdly large to a Saab driver like myself, which I love. Also, LOTS of flat room for a vehicle advertising wrap, whereas the H3 is not as well suited.

I am going to try for a better interest rate with my buddy at my bank. The interest rate is 8.29% on this 72-month monster loan.

I just want to say that the gentleman at http://www.HUMMERNut.net is an incredibly generous and knowledgeable guy. Thanks to all for the great advice and patience.

Best,
Gunnar Fox

Hummer Guy
09-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Bottom line price sounds good for all you're getting and good condition.

4churchill
09-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Gunnar

Good talking to you. Between myself and George my GSM I hope you got all you needed....be sure and give an update on how everything went...did you get the fax??

Gunnar Fox
09-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Thanks again, all.

Got a 6.45% rate for 72 months. Also bought another 45,000 miles worth of warranty for something north of 3K ($200 deductible).

Now it's time to wrap this bad boy!

By the way, if anybody has any experience using magnetic material to cover doors, etc., I'd love to hear about it. I know these can be purchased for around $500 bucks a set, but I'd like to cut them and create them myself, if possible. (I need them so I can cover up my advertising when I park in my company parking lot.)

Gunnar

Gunnar Fox
09-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Looks like Trail Duty has these truck shields at $400 with free shipping. Sounds hard to beat. If anybody knows of a better deal please let me know.

Best,
Gunnar

4churchill
09-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Fox

Go with trailduty...Phil and they have the best cust service, and they will stand behind what they sell you.