PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Gas Mileage

Curt Vendel
12-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi,

I'm a soon to be H2 Owner, picking up my 05' on Saturday...

Just wanted to see from more seasoned owners and customizers if anyone has found any simple changes and upgrades to help increase gas mileage, even if its only 1-3 extra MPG's, it all goes a long way...

I am hoping not to have to go down the route of a major changeover, but if there are some Air filters, muffler changes which may help or a computer upgrade, I'd really like to hear from anyone who's done some moderate things and has seen some small results.

Thanks!

Curt

Curt Vendel
Hi,

Just wanted to see from more seasoned owners and customizers if anyone has found any simple changes and upgrades to help increase gas mileage, even if its only 1-3 extra MPG's, it all goes a long way...

I am hoping not to have to go down the route of a major changeover, but if there are some Air filters, muffler changes which may help or a computer upgrade, I'd really like to hear from anyone who's done some moderate things and has seen some small results.

Thanks!

Curt

Curt Vendel
Hi,

Thanks!

Curt

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-01-2004, 04:51 PM
I made the following upgrades and am very happy, until I brake down and put on a supercharger.
Cold air intake
Throttle bodyspacer
Proflash computer programes
Flowmaster true duel exhaust. I used 2-40 series flowmasters and ran 3" from cats back to muffler and to axle and then had to go down to very short piece's of 2 1/2 to get over axle as it was to tight to get 3" all the way out. It made the flowmaster tech happy as he keep harping we would be taking the breath away from engine, which i understand what he is saying but it is running good. Besides Magnoflow is less restrictive than Flowmaster and they do not worry about breathing as their muffler is almost a straight thru muffler. I hope this helps but there are many more experienced guys than me as I have had My H2 since May 28, 2004. Many of the things I did I knew to do from other trucks I upgraded but, i wanted the vetrans feedback as this is my first big treat to myself in my whole life time. Listen to what these guys say. I'm lucky I stumbled on to this site.
Rick

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-01-2004, 05:05 PM
I made the following upgrades and am very happy, until I brake down and put on a supercharger.
Cold air intake
Throttle bodyspacer
Proflash computer programer
Flowmaster true duel exhaust. I used 2-40 series flowmasters and ran 3" from cats back to muffler and to axle and then had to go down to very short piece's of 2 1/2 to get over axle as it was to tight to get 3" all the way out. It made the flowmaster tech happy as he keep harping we would be taking the breath away from engine, which i understand what he is saying but it is running good. Besides Magnoflow is less restrictive than Flowmaster and they do not worry about breathing as their muffler is almost a straight thru muffler. I hope this helps but there are many more experienced guys than me as I have had My H2 since May 28, 2004. Many of the things I did I knew to do from other trucks I upgraded but, i wanted the vetrans feedback as this is my first big treat to myself in my whole life time. Listen to what these guys say. I'm lucky I stumbled onto this site.
Congratulations
Rick
Ps I forgot to tell You I'm seeng about 1.5 MPG increase as long as I do not let My lead foot take over. It is hard now not to hit throttle as it runs so much better and sounds better than stock it amases me. I'm trying to get time to dyno it. The guy at the performance center who designs and builds himself said if you just calculate manufacture claim in to what I added I'm somewhere up to 385 to 400 on HP. He leans to the 400 Hp after taking it out and driving it. Guessing for now but again that is just adding manuf. claim and we cut that a little or round down you may say. His specialty is Corvette but started working with H2 when 03 models came out with people complaining about power.

HHummer
12-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Not too much you can do. Lower restriction air filter and Corsa type exhaust helps sound and performance a little but any fuel mileage increase is marginal. I have seen a little over a 1 mpg increase with air, exhaust, and Mobil one synthetic. If you are serious about gas mileage, the best increase comes from keeping highway speed at or below 60. The big tires, higher ground clearance and box shape kill mileage over 65 and into headwinds.

H2Finally
12-02-2004, 03:21 AM
As far as I know, even the simplest "upgrade" that WORKS to improve mileage, will not save you enough to recoup the cost of the "upgrade" unless you plan to keep the H2 for like, 10 years or somethin.

KenP
12-02-2004, 04:37 AM
Rick, H2F is right. It doesn't matter what you spend or what you do, the returns are long term at best. As they say if you have to ask, ....

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Ken
You are right on the increased milage.If He is wanting to do it just for MPG it is a waste of tie and money. I was just sharing what my milage did. I made my upgrades for performance. I do not care very much what milage is. I have been working with the guy from EPP, after I found SC voided warranty, to get the most perf. for the every dollar I spent. That is the reason I went the way I did. Dealerhas OK'd all I have done as I work with the same service writer all the time and He can cover on thissmall stuff but not the big boy, YET. Man You have the deluxe as far as performance. I'm hoping that my dealer will take on installing SC and include it in warranty. Then I will get SC and most of what I'm doing now will be helpful then also.
Thanks
Rick

Klaus
12-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Just remember that your dealer does not speak for other dealers or GM. If you break down and can get your truck to your dealer, they can probably take care of it.

If you break down while on a trip and take it to a different dealer, all bets are off. Good luck.

JohnB.GWU.
12-02-2004, 09:30 PM
buy a set of 31" all season tires with a high load rating, take your roof racks off, regear the rear end to like a 3.73 or 3.11, remove the front driveshaft all together. enjoy your new 2wd poseur "h2." think about it, if you spend like 2k in trying to get better gas mileage, itll take years and years for those fuel savings to kick in. it gets ****ty gas mileage, no way around it other than the aforementioned.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Somehow I'm trying to get across the mods are for perf, HP, and torque and I was letting him know an extra by product I gained some MPG. If I'm missing the mark someone that understands what I'm trying to get across please speak up and say it in a way that others understand. I'm not getting my point across some how. You can not ever spend enough money to increase MPG on an H2 that if you kept it until you died you would never recoup money spent. Most of us know the price of these things we can never justify spending the money (unless you get to write it off like those of us who are self-employed) except that we have found a way to have the means by which to do it.
Like I was telling Ken I can care less about gas milage but the money I'm spending is improving performance alot it is NOT FOR MPG GAINS. Also when I get to put on a SC hopefully the stuff I have already done would need to be done anyway. There is no way i would spend 2 grand to get 1.5 MPG although if I did it would not be a big deal as i spend that much a month on just crap to entertain My kids or me just like most of the rest of you. So money is not one of my worries but each has to decide what he wants, why he wants it, and does he have the means to obtain what ever it is He wants. He asked about things that could be done to help MPG but I was showing Him ways to improve HP so his performance would improve and just as a by product I just happen to get 1.5 MPG more. I'm on Ken's team when He said if you got to worry about gas milage you really do not need a Hummer.
Thanks
Rick

timgco
12-03-2004, 12:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RLTAZH2:
Somehow I'm trying to get across the mods are for perf, HP, and torque and I was letting him know an extra by product I gained some MPG. If I'm missing the mark someone that understands what I'm trying to get across please speak up and say it in a way that others understand. I'm not getting my point across some how. You can not ever spend enough money to increase MPG on an H2 that if you kept it until you died you would never recoup money spent. Most of us know the price of these things we can never justify spending the money (unless you get to write it off like those of us who are self-employed) except that we have found a way to have the means by which to do it.
Like I was telling Ken I can care less about gas milage but the money I'm spending is improving performance alot it is NOT FOR MPG GAINS. Also when I get to put on a SC hopefully the stuff I have already done would need to be done anyway. There is no way i would spend 2 grand to get 1.5 MPG although if I did it would not be a big deal as i spend that much a month on just crap to entertain My kids or me just like most of the rest of you. So money is not one of my worries but each has to decide what he wants, why he wants it, and does he have the means to obtain what ever it is He wants. He asked about things that could be done to help MPG but I was showing Him ways to improve HP so his performance would improve and just as a by product I just happen to get 1.5 MPG more. I'm on Ken's team when He said if you got to worry about gas milage you really do not need a Hummer.
Thanks
Rick <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot to mention the best way to gain performance and get better HP.

Just drive down hill with the wind puching you along. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It's a heavy truck with a 6.0. Don't worry about the MPG. I laugh when I'm at the pump and people either look at you in disgust or have thos OMG look on their faces that you just put in $50.00 to $60.00.

have fun with it!

mbdougl
12-03-2004, 12:35 AM
You can get up to 10% mileage increase for just $14.95 http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
http://www.esuperchargers.com/

unaslob
12-07-2004, 02:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You can get up to 10% mileage increase for just $14.95
http://www.esuperchargers.com/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTF???? upto 10%... of what 10... that is one measly 1mpg. that thing seems like a crock. it carries the same seal as the clapper!

unaslob

Albie
12-11-2004, 12:18 AM
just slap that bad boy in neutral every time you go down hill!!!!!!!!

kacyk
12-14-2004, 04:28 AM
Curt,

I hope you're enjoying your new H2. I agree with the rest that anything mod you do to save gas is a long term deal. I had the dealer add a Corsa Cat-Back system to my wife's H2 and I did notice the computer read 11 MPG and not 10 MPG as before. However, I've been driving it for the past month and it now reads 9 MPG. Reason?

#1. My driving habits are different than the wife's.
#2. The exhaust note is so sweet I can't resist opening it up!

I had a K&N FIPK on my Tundra yet I did not notice any difference in MPG. The loud noise from the engine bay was annoying at best. For that reason I haven't added an intake system on the H2.

Like most of us you'll end up spending well over a few grand on mods...in the first six months! Enjoy!

Mr. I - Man
12-14-2004, 03:50 PM
I have a Airaid air filter stock box,airaid intake tube and power aid throttle body spacer. And I get about 14.6 mpg Highway
11.8 mpg city

and drive like a knucklehead.

The throttle body spacer whistle kinda sucks. Sounds like a ricer blow off valve

JMVH2
12-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Curt, I will tell you what I have done; I change all the fluids to AmsOil Synthetic (engine, ATF, transfer case, front and rear diff) also the air filter to AmsOil, I was doing 11.3 MPG before and now it gets 12.5 MPG, not a significant increase, but it is some gain there; the main reason I did it was for the protection that you get out of synthetics especially from AmsOil. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rifle
12-26-2004, 08:44 PM
If I keep the RPMs at 2000, I get the best mileage. I agree that if you go over 65MPH- the mileage really drops. Not much else to do but pay the gas bill. Remember you didn't by the H2 for the MPG.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Kurt with all the add ons I listed on above post I'll never save enough to make it back and now My Magnacharger will be on in Jan 2005. That will put total exspense to around $8000 to $9000, not counting the bling money spent. I'll never make that back but i did not do it for milage.
Best You can do is keep Your foot out of it and cruise. If Your light You can hold MPG on 2005 at around 13 combined which is where I stayed until I lost my mind and added all the neat stuff. The superharger I'm told will get alot of that back but that is if I keep my foot restained and spending $9000 to get back to 13 mpg combined is not the brightis thing to do. My hope is once I get down and get steady in shows I will win some money back. I have a long way to go as I got another show in march05. Got to build roofs lights front and rear, chrome up engine comp. after poolished supercharger, add the DVD flip down and front monitor and back up camera, and then begin to figure what I will do on underside and still will be looking for more interiorstuff. It never ends and if You can help it do not start it. Improve air intake and You may get .5 to 1 big maybe.
Good Luck
rick