PDA

View Full Version : Rear Lamp Guards

mpetrich
01-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Hi everyone,
I want to install rear lamp guards but the ones that I have seen attach to the H2 with double-sided tape. Are there ones that attach to the H2 in a more secure manner?!
Thanks for the help.

mpetrich
01-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Hi everyone,
I want to install rear lamp guards but the ones that I have seen attach to the H2 with double-sided tape. Are there ones that attach to the H2 in a more secure manner?!
Thanks for the help.

Texas Red
01-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Yep, the factory rear lamp guards screw on.

Klaus
01-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Actually, they both bolt on (side closest to rear door), and stick on to the body.

Klaus

mpetrich
01-07-2003, 06:55 PM
OK, well, the factory ones that I have seen were falling off the H2 (not good) and they only attached (at least it looked that way) with double-sided tape. Can I only use the screws?! Are there screws?!
http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Thanks for the help.

MAC
01-07-2003, 07:32 PM
I have Hummer factory rear lamp guards came with H2, don't look like falling off to me. They are definitely screwed on, because I could not get them off to upgrade bulbs. They use the star shaped allen screws, there is a name for this type of crews, I forgot. Got to get a new head for my drill to work on them. Anyone know what size and what type of head I need for these screws?

Peter
01-07-2003, 08:05 PM
I have the Hummer factory rear lamp guards that came with the truck, I've seen the same kind on three other H2s, never seen another style. The factory guards have two screws attaching to the inside of the tailgate jam and the outside connects to the body with a thick 2-sided tape.

SJ
01-07-2003, 08:09 PM
See below - duplicate post.

SJ
01-07-2003, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
I have Hummer factory rear lamp guards came with H2, don't look like falling off to me. They are definitely screwed on, because I could not get them off to upgrade bulbs. They use the star shaped allen screws, there is a name for this type of crews, I forgot. Got to get a new head for my drill to work on them. Anyone know what size and what type of head I need for these screws?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Torx (e.g. T-10, T-15, T-30). I installed my rear lamp guards last month and I think I used a T-30 driver.

mpetrich
01-07-2003, 10:24 PM
OK, I get it, there are screws and double-sided tape. The side with the tape is the side that I saw coming off the H2. Do I have to use the tape?! That just doesn't seem to be a long term solution (getting wet, etc.)
Thanks for the help,
Matt

Peter
01-07-2003, 10:28 PM
The tape is thick and strong. I can't imagine it coming off unless you hooked a tow strap to it and tried pulling it off. Mine are very solid aven after mud, rain, snow, and wind. I'll let you know when it starts to loosen up.

TonkaH2
01-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Torx are expensive, but they don't strip and make it harder for people to steal stuff. . . I got Robertson's [square drive] all over and love 'em.

I have no idea why I'm talking about screws -I think I have a few loose!

Hummerstein
01-08-2003, 04:50 AM
Hi Folks,
Both of my guards are loose as the tape has lost it's adhesive qualities. Thankful for the screws that are still holding them on. I've purchased some 3-M double stick tape and will be taping them back on after the rain stops.

Jim
03' Pewter, LUX H-2
00' K3500 Crew Cab
69' Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser
71' 427 FJ-40 Land Cruiser
02' Nissan Maxima SE

Texas Red
01-08-2003, 11:19 AM
IMHO, the double stick "tape" is not to hold the lamp guard on, but to protect the body. It's more like a pad. The sticky is to keep the pad in place. Mine is at least 1/4" thick. Everything is still tight and looks fine at 4700 miles and several car washes.

TS
01-08-2003, 11:59 PM
An observation.. people who's tape-side lost grip are in colder climates than those who have had no problems. Maybe the design team that chose the tape vendor didnt take that into consideration. Just a theory.

mpetrich
01-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Yep, maybe the cold does have something to do with it. I would really like to put the rear lamp guards on but maybe there is something better than double-sided tape I could use. Have to think about it.....
http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Big Z
01-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Been getting in the teens here and I've had no problem. This is very good tape. The major cause of failure is the installation. The area must be clean, and then alcohol swabbed where the tape will stick prior to installing, pressure must be applied to guards for a about minute after contact.