PDA

View Full Version : For those with the SMA Heavy Duty Brushguard..

SOCRATES
03-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Just finished my install today of the SMA Heavy Duty Brushguard -- looks great. One question though:

When I pull on it, it seems to jiggle/vibrate a little -- is this normal? Or should it be completely stationary and not move at all? Since it is bolted to the front of the plastic fascia, I would assume it would move a little. Just wondering..

Thanks in advance,
-Justyn

"Dechromed" Black '04 H2 -- GOBI Ladder, Corsa, Borla Headers, Air Horn, and some miscellaneous odd and ends.

SOCRATES
03-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Just finished my install today of the SMA Heavy Duty Brushguard -- looks great. One question though:

When I pull on it, it seems to jiggle/vibrate a little -- is this normal? Or should it be completely stationary and not move at all? Since it is bolted to the front of the plastic fascia, I would assume it would move a little. Just wondering..

Thanks in advance,
-Justyn

"Dechromed" Black '04 H2 -- GOBI Ladder, Corsa, Borla Headers, Air Horn, and some miscellaneous odd and ends.

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-04-2004, 03:33 AM
I just got one from the dealer, $1400 parts/labor. The only thing I can think you might have forgot is 2 large washers that go between the mounting of the SMA on the H2 and the one open sided u shape hindge welded to the guard. They are very hard to get in. Have to beat in with hammer and screwdriver. Then getting the swing pin in is another problem. My guard fits very tight. At $100 an hour it better fit tight. I have to put a lot of wait on it to push it down. I had to take my winch off, because the guard hit it. My winch is the same Warn winch SMA uses in there ads XD9000i, so I didn't think there would be a problem. Then I couldn't open the hood to check the oil. I drove over to SMA and talk to Steve, an eng. for SMA. They build the guard 15 miles from my house in Tempe, AZ. He told me if I need to check the oil to take the winch off. I was standing there not believing what I was hearing. I've had a stroke 8 months ago and have no use of my left arm and I just started walking. I mounted the winch where the spare tire went inside cargo area using the spare tire mounting bolts in the floor. I had a 4 inch wide 3/8 inch steel plate about 14 inchs long and a reciever hitch welded to it. I got the spare tire mounting before the brush guard. Sorry don't know how to attach pictures yet. I re-read your post and no no no it does not mount to the plastic fascia! You have to get a special mounting kit for it. I had to wait an exture hour while dealer drove over to SMA in Tempe from Scottsdale to get some of the pieces they didn't have. Sorry don't have there number. Have to get better pict. don't have flash on camera.

vern

04 Yel H2, Eaton lockers, SMA HD brush guard, XD9000i, Garmin StreetPilot 3

[This message was edited by It's a Dry Heat on 03-03-04 at 09:56 PM.]

RIC-H0
03-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Sounds like a reason for SMA to modify the center cross bar. Sell option winch mount brushguard. I'm sure if they can make an extra dollar off of it, they'll do it.

Ric-H2

SOCRATES
03-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified:

It doesn't mount directly to the plastic fascia, but to heavy duty brackets that are placed inside of the fascia once you cut out several sections of the inside reinforcement of the fascia. Also, I couldn't get the metal shims to fit, even if I tried to hammer them in, the guard was that tight.

Do you get any wiggle when you grab the brushguard and shake it, or is it completely stationary? Mine jiggles just a little, may 1/8'' to 1/4''.

I guess for $300.00 I can't complain.. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
-Justyn

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-04-2004, 03:49 PM
No jiggle. cant shake it. It is completely solid. I remember telling the tech I could tie my horse to it. Now another thing. the bracket behind fascia was bolted to something I cant remember what. It seems they had to drop the front bumper off the truck. I didn't stay with them all the time. The dealer was nice enough to let me back into there shop. When ever I go down there I talk to the mechs that do work on Hummers. Its got to be a fun job, plus its fun to talk to them. They give you a lot of insite. I couldn't spell elocker until I talked to a tech that had installed them. I've got SMA number for you. calling them now to see if it's a good number, no answer yet, do you think there having a fire drill? Sorry no answer. Let me make another cup of java and I'll work on this some more for ya. SMA 480 968-4660, sorry can't get them to answer. When I was last there I talked to Steve he's the eng that designed the brushguard, thats what I was lead to beleve, he talked about different designs they were going through.
maybe phones are down? I was going to drive over there today but it's raining. This is Arizona and it doesn't rain here. So I'm stuck here with my Hummer. Was going to have trees delivered here today. We get about 3 to 4 inches of rain in a wet year. My Hummers not been in the rain yet. Ha! It's rough being retired, but some body has to do it. Love this site and talking with guys with like interest.

Vern

04 Yel H2, F&R Eaton lockers, SMA HD brush guard, XD9000i, Garmin StreetPilot 3

[This message was edited by It's a Dry Heat on 03-04-04 at 10:29 AM.]

SOCRATES
03-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Vern,

Hmmmm, not quite sure why mine is not completely solid. I spent most of the day yesterday installing it precisely according to the directions, and I'm sure that I didn't miss anything.

Left a message with tech support this afternoon, so we'll see..

[This message was edited by SOCRATES on 03-04-04 at 12:13 PM.]

H2Oguy
03-05-2004, 04:12 AM
I have only put my hands on one SMA Heavy Duty Brushguard and I did notice how it was not very solid. If you do want something that is very solid and offers much more protection I make one that I am particularly proud of. It mounts directly to the frame and is extremely solid and durable. It is available in different materials and finishes. I am having one electro polished for a customer today.
Good Luck

www.h2ohummers.com (http://www.h2ohummers.com)

SOCRATES
03-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Nice guard, H2Oguy..

I spoke with tech support today and they informed me that what I am experiencing is normal. They claimed that almost all of their customers use the SMA steel valence when they mount the guard, and that this would eliminate the movement that I am currently experiencing. I will update this post with my impressions after I receive the valence and install it.

Cheers,
-Justyn

SRFCASTR
03-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Socrates

I mounted my SMA heavy-duty using the Steel valance and it is a rock!!

NO movement.

I replaced the 5/8 bolt, nut & washers with Stainless to avoid rusting.

In the down position it either crunches my License plate frame (laser deflector) or rests on the bumper. I am looking for some sort of rubber bumper to mount on my bumper for it to rest upon.

SRFCASTR

SOCRATES
03-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the info, SRFCASTR!

From what they told me at SMA, is should be much sturdier with the steel valence, just as you say. Now if I could just find one (SMA claims they are out of stock).

Thanks,
-Justyn