PDA

View Full Version : SMA intake problem/Help

ACR H2
01-23-2003, 02:02 AM
Hey everyone,
I just installed the H2 AirAid Air Intake (http://www.smahummer.com/detail.jsp?cid=11&pid=552) System from SMA, and i am having some problems.
The H2 seems to have lost some power. when i am on the gas, the H2 is having a hard time breathing. you can feel it chocking, then all of a sudden, it opens up and starts accelerating. When it opens up, it does feel faster. Like a turbo or something. Like there is a delay in power. It also wont down shift as much.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Does the H2 need time to relearn the new intake mod? Could it be a bad MAF? Everything looks good and tight, i am really baffled and not sure what to do.
The only thing I did wrong while installing the intake is that I started the car and forgot to hook up the MAF, that was only for 10 seconds, I then reconnected it and took the H2 out to test it. could that have caused it?
Thanks in advance.

2003 Yellow H2 Lux

ACR H2
01-23-2003, 02:02 AM
Hey everyone,
I just installed the H2 AirAid Air Intake (http://www.smahummer.com/detail.jsp?cid=11&pid=552) System from SMA, and i am having some problems.
The H2 seems to have lost some power. when i am on the gas, the H2 is having a hard time breathing. you can feel it chocking, then all of a sudden, it opens up and starts accelerating. When it opens up, it does feel faster. Like a turbo or something. Like there is a delay in power. It also wont down shift as much.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Does the H2 need time to relearn the new intake mod? Could it be a bad MAF? Everything looks good and tight, i am really baffled and not sure what to do.
The only thing I did wrong while installing the intake is that I started the car and forgot to hook up the MAF, that was only for 10 seconds, I then reconnected it and took the H2 out to test it. could that have caused it?
Thanks in advance.

2003 Yellow H2 Lux

NSXTC
01-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and let the CPU 'reset'? I don't know if it'll work for the H2, but on most cars, this will reset it.

Another option is to call SMA themselves and see what they say. Those guys are very friendly and will offer any assistance you may require.

TBarrow
01-23-2003, 06:41 PM
make sure that the connections around the mass air (air flow not electric) are tight . this happened to my dad as the mass air determines the air flow and matches fuel accordingly. If you have extra air getting by it will be lean and run poorly and have a hard time at idle.

ACR H2
01-28-2003, 10:10 PM
I tried everything; it still felt like i was losing a lot of power. checking all the connections for any leaks, nothing, everything looked great. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Thought it might be a bad MAF, thought i might have damaged it somehow, so i installed the stock airbox, figuring if it also acted up, it would be a bad MAF, but the stock airbox worked great, and solved the problems i was having.
Only conclusion is that its the SMA Airaid Air intake kit. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
Dont know if i should give up on H2 INTAKE KITS, or try the BREATHLESS kit or any other kit out there..

2003 Yellow H2 Lux

Mango
01-29-2003, 12:42 AM
ACR H2, I've got the Breathless intake installed, no problems, sounds great, improved performance.

Mango -- Saltwater Flyfisherman, Photographer, Varmint Hunter -- Fort Worth, Tx

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Big Z
01-29-2003, 12:43 PM
ACR H2. I have the Extreme Flow installed. I have been very pleased with the results, like Mango, No problems, sounds great, and improved performance.

kdio
01-29-2003, 04:49 PM
I have had the SMA airaid kit on my H2 for a couple of months with no problems. I also installed one on my dad's H2 and had no problems. Power is improved as well as gas mileage.

DRTYFN
02-09-2003, 03:13 AM
How much of an improvement in MPG?

"I smell varmint poontang."

MAC
02-09-2003, 03:45 AM
In stead of "No Problem, sounds great, and improved performance", can some of you please kindly post some actual result? Similar to the Breathless case, I have not seen any actual and specific numbers and data from the users. I have read here some have problem, some said no improvement in MPG and nothing measurable in power(someone posted that weeks ago). These are not cheap stuff, surely there must be some very enthusiastic users jumping up and down and tell the world about it.

Big Z
02-09-2003, 02:25 PM
I don't know if this will help you out Mac, but You might give this Co. a call. John Bertao-CEO--of Western Muffler Corp. in Fresno, Ca, are the makers of the Extreme Flow performance exhaust system. They were the first aftermarket suppier to develop the performance exhaust & cold air intake for the H2, since they were able to obtain the H2 from GM, 3 months prior to it release to the public.
Take a deep breath in, then exhale. It's easy to do and certainly something we take for granted. Now, try that through a straw or length of vacuum line. Not so easy anymore, is it? If you keep trying you're going to make yourself dizzy so put the straw down, open your truck's hood, and read on.

Now take a look at your truck's air intake system. Chances are that it is made up of a smallish tube running from the throttle body over to an airbox mounted to the fender. There's probably more duct work in a meager attempt to get some fresh air to the engine. Add an inefficient paper filter to this and you have quite an obstacle course for fresh air to pass through before ever getting to the engine. Plus, there's the fact that air is just plain lazy.

Air doesn't like to flow around corners or deal with obstacles and obstructions like baffles, restrictions, or bends. By improving the airflow available to your engine, as well as the exit flow of the spent gases, you can improve the performance and driveability of your truck. Factory exhausts tend to be restrictive in order to keep costs and noise levels within check. Like everyone else, EACH manufacture, sells the BEST! And if you decide to install an intake/exhaust system to improve the performance and driveability of your rig, you will make the--Best--Choice, also. All that being said, I don't like the SMA design. I didn't know about breathless, but might have considered them. I chose Extreme for several reasons,--After A little research--Design, Heavy Duty Construction, Easy install, And a good deal! It was the right choice for me. They claim 40Hp and 2MPG, No argument on this point. I'm not there salesman, but here is there website. www.xtremeflow.com (http://www.xtremeflow.com)
And It Still Sounds Good http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MAC
02-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Z, thanks for the explaination, makes sense. I never believe or not believe it. MY basic thought has always been and is "if it is so easy and DIY, why don't Hummer just put it in in the first place?" They spent 100s of millions on Hummer development, how could they miss something so simple that little shops in Fresno or elsewhere can figure it out.

H2 X-Treme
02-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Z,

I am also interested in the upgrade, the same system as with xtremeflow is also available with www.predatorhummer.com (http://www.predatorhummer.com)

I am not sure if the cold air intake is the same, but the combined price is.

I would like a better sound from my H2, but I do not want it to sound like a muscle car.

I want it to sound low and beefy, but not obnoxious.

Please send me your feed back.

www.x-tremeoutfitters.ca (http://www.x-tremeoutfitters.ca)

H2 X-Treme
02-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Z,

I forgot to ask if you have the Stainless exhaust as well.

This is what I was refering to about the sound question.

Mango,

Did you get any of the exhaust options from breathless ??

Big Z
02-10-2003, 05:36 PM
I guess the best I can do for now is video. I'll try to post later today. I don't have the SS exhaust. If you mean headers, No.
A friend and Hummer owner, took a ride in another H2 that had the SS headers, Duel exhaust with/x-over, and walker turbos installed. He said the noise level was uncomfortable in the cab and really didn't like it. OTOH, after taking a ride in my rig, he was sold. Liked the performance, and sound.

Mango
02-10-2003, 07:26 PM
I have the Corsa touring cat-back on order. I'll let you know how it sounds.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Mango
02-11-2003, 11:31 PM
Installed the "Touring" model of the Corsa muffler system today. Sound is aggressive but restrained. Gotta really get on it to hear it and that's with the Breathless air filter. I'm happy with it and purchased this instead of the much cheaper Flowmaster because I wanted an aggressive sound but did not want my H2 to sound like every other Chevy Silverado out there--I do live in Texas you know. If you want a mean loud sound go with the "Sport" version although you may get some cabin resonance. Otherwise, I'm happy with the "Touring" muffler. As far as performance, can't say I noticed a difference in the 4 miles back to the house from the muffler shop. We'll see what happens to the mileage.

I'm gonna start a new thread on this also.

sergio3
02-18-2003, 03:18 AM
I have the SMA cold air intake with the SMA exhaust & I have the same problem with the truck hesitating then coming to life. My gas mileage did not improve at all.

MAC
02-18-2003, 06:35 AM
I must be missing something here, I read and re-read the posts. I read problems, read no improvement, maybe some agressive sound, in the same posts, they also said they are "happy" with it. How can you spent all that money with no obvious improvement and still be happy with it? Why is it nobody is asking the hard questions? I am a potential buyer for the aftermarket systems from Day One, and I have been eagerly reading these posts to look for some solid evidence of performance, I have yet to see any.

Klaus
03-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Folks with aftermarket air intakes need to look at this TSB:

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=2866075362

Don't play in the water with your H2!

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."

H2Norcal
03-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Mango or Breathless H2 owners, did all of you buy the kit with the towers or just the RAM kit?

And no problems?

H2Norcal
03-19-2003, 10:40 PM
Klaus, thanks for the heads up. I guess we need to make sure we switch back our original gear before we go to service http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AcidNastyH2
03-20-2003, 01:57 PM
H2NorCal,
I just installed the Breathless air intake last weekend (no towers, as per Mango's recommendation) and haven't seen any problems yet. Truck seems a little "crisper" performance wise and sounds "throatier" when you step on the gas. Been watching my gas mileage and seems to be about 1 mpg better in half a tank of local driving.
Did have to fiddle with the install a little bit, originally it was getting hit by the fan, but other than that was fairly quick to put in.
It will be easy to switch back to the original parts for dealer or deep water visits as well.
Tom