PDA

View Full Version : auto side view mirrors

CONRAD II
11-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Could the side view mirrors be wired up so that when you turn your engine off the mirrors retract and when you turn the ignition on they open? Some other vehicles (like the lexus ls's) have this feature and I think its cool. Sometimes when parked on the side of the street I forget to retract my mirrors and its just a matter of time bf some truck comes by and knocks a mirror off my ride.

CONRAD II
11-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Could the side view mirrors be wired up so that when you turn your engine off the mirrors retract and when you turn the ignition on they open? Some other vehicles (like the lexus ls's) have this feature and I think its cool. Sometimes when parked on the side of the street I forget to retract my mirrors and its just a matter of time bf some truck comes by and knocks a mirror off my ride.

PARAGON
11-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Well, w/o looking at the wiring diagram I am guessing the mirror controls send info to the BCM, but I am not sure. Whatever the case, the deal would be at the mirror controls, I would think. Probably some type of relay to trigger when key is on and then one sensing power off.

I'll try to look at a diagram later and see if I am anywhere close.

CONRAD II
11-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks, I want the mod, but I wouldn't know where to start!!

H2Finally
11-17-2005, 03:28 PM
I was wondering the same!

Would there be a prob with finding the "wire" which passes the signal to cycle both mirrors? Since this is achieved only when the L/R switch is in the middle, it seemed likely that this is a "programmed" signal, rather than a dedicated "wire".

PARAGON
11-17-2005, 04:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Finally:
I was wondering the same!

Would there be a prob with finding the "wire" which passes the signal to cycle both mirrors? Since this is achieved only when the L/R switch is in the middle, it seemed likely that this is a "programmed" signal, rather than a dedicated "wire". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what I am wondering. But the BCM has to get a signal from something to send current to the wire going to the motors on the mirrors.

I would say you could tap that circuit but who knows where the temp power signals that allow it to cycle on/off is controlled. I am worried that is BCM controlled and if there is a wire at the mirror controls, one wouldn't have to worry about that.

timgco
11-17-2005, 05:19 PM
You guys could send F5Fstop a PM and ask him. He is on the H3 boards and has a lot of info on this type of thing. I thought he has something to do with GM and wires.

CONRAD II
11-17-2005, 07:01 PM
I sent F5Fstop a pm, I'll let you guys know what his reply is...