PDA

View Full Version : Torsion Bar adjustment bolts

PARAGON
03-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Anyone else have torsion bar adjustment bolts adjusted so differently. My passenger side is adjusted all the way up and the driver's side is adjusted all the way out (or, if even possible, backed out)

PARAGON
Anyone else have torsion bar adjustment bolts adjusted so differently. My passenger side is adjusted all the way up and the driver's side is adjusted all the way out (or, if even possible, backed out)

PARAGON

PARAGON
Pic 2

FrgMstr
03-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Here are pics I just went and snapped of mine. They have never been adjusted to my knowledge.

FrgMstr
03-24-2004, 03:42 PM
the other

PARAGON
03-24-2004, 04:10 PM
Mine have never been adjusted. I was taking off my side steps for this coming weekend and happened to notice the bolt. Some of the top threads on the bolt seem to be "cleaner" than the bottom ones so it would seem the bolt backed out, BUT those bolts are under some big pressure created by the torsion bars, so one would think backing out would be difficult.

I called and spoke to the local dealer's Hummer service guy and he wants me to bring it in since both bolts are adjusted so far apart. By the way, I put a quick measuring tape to the front end and there does not seem to be much difference in height from side to side.

My luck they will have to order a new torsion bar and I won't get to go to the Happening this weekend. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

buddy
03-24-2004, 04:40 PM
If your went to the dealer a checked some other H2's, you would find they are all different. Some have the driver's side cranked up more and others may have the passenager's side cranked more. The dealer should be able to adjust the "Z" height to stock specs and do required realignment. Anytime time the torsion bars are adjusted the alignment can move out of specs.

I cranked my torsion bars up to increase front end height and get away from the raked look that most GM trucks tend to have. Since I have the standard rear suspension, no adjusting rear air bags, this worked. The ride is a little firmer, but better overall.

PARAGON
03-24-2004, 04:44 PM
I made very quick and potentially highy inaccurate measurements by measure the top of each wheel well. Side to side is the same front and back, but the front is less than 1/4" lower than the back. Not enough difference to be noticeable and I looked for it when you posted originally about making the changes.

I guess the thing bugging me in the back of my mind is that the truck seems to sit normal right now, but the torsion bar adjustments are polar opposites. Makes me wonder about frame or other problems. Also the one bolt "looks" backed out because the threads are different but again the truck seems to sit normal. The driver's side "key" looks to be resting on the torsion bar and the bolt is not engaging it at all, so the bar isn't really loaded.

Oh well, I'll find out today or tomorrow and if they have to replace the torsion bar, maybe they can get one in before the weekend.

I can just about be positive it hasn't always been like this (had it for about 20 months). I like to crawl under and just look from time to time (all vehicles) and this was way to noticable for me to have missed it before.

PARAGON
03-24-2004, 04:56 PM
I have the rear air suspension and the truck has been sitting still for 2 or 3 days, so the front to back measurement doesn't mean very much.

PARAGON
03-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Well, I am currently in a Tahoe. Will see what they come up with.

cinci
03-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Paragon,

After reading some of Phil's posts I adjusted mine up approximately four turns per side to level out, front to back measured under the front to rear rocker bars, the truck. I didn't notice any difference in the handling and was expecting a stiffer ride but haven't noticed much difference. My bolts were only off about one turn from side to side.

Phil,

From reading your post it appears that you have acquired a set of 37s http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Inquiring minds want to know, what flavor did you buy?

SOFTTAILJC
03-24-2004, 09:15 PM
any time you move torsion bars u must have frontend aligned....did mine at tire place to level out truck for bigger tires ....3turns on one side almost 4 on the other, that put the toe out 7/32's....but the up side the truck rides better than stock .. i felt the diff right away... i'll have pics soon like i promised jason... as soon asi fig out digg camera.......soft........ http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

PARAGON
03-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Since my illness still plagues me I haven't and don't plan to do a tremendous amount of off-roading. I bought an extra set of wheels several months back to get a set of 37's mounted on. Now I wish I had since we decided to do the Hummer Happening here this weekend:

Hummer Happening / Red Creek Offroad Park (http://redcreekoffroad.com/adamodom/hummerhappening/pages/H2stuck_JPG.htm)

Navigator
03-24-2004, 09:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Yes, I could resist the temptation no longer and bought some SSR's.
None of the regular tire places can balance them or do an alignment, so I'm taking it in to a CGR Truck Center tomorrow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,
Let me know how the balancing goes, I normally have a good friend with a 4x4 shop do mine but hes 300 miles away and I wont get down there till May.
He has a good write up on balancing (http://performanceunlimited.com/customservices/trucktirebalancing.html) if your interested.

FrgMstr
03-24-2004, 10:21 PM
I was pretty impressed with the 37" BFG MTs, none out of the five required more than 7oz to balance.

PARAGON
03-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Heard back from the dealer this a.m. They are going to replace the torsion bars but of course have to order them. Won't be in until next week.

Service tech said will be OK to take out this weekend on the Happening and shouldn't have any troubles. He can't find that they are affecting anything but are definitely not right with the adjustment bolts adjusted so far differently.

Also fixed the cowling around the windshield to stop the wind noise from there.

Detonate
03-25-2004, 01:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
As it turns out I didn't get the alignment or wheels balanced as my idler arm is shot, so will be getting everything done after I've had the idler arm replaced http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Same thing happened when I went to get my alignment done.

I got mine done under warranty, and when it was done, the tech told me I need to start brining my truck to them for the Oil Changes if I wanted this to be covered under warranty from now on.

Reason being, is that the Idler Arms, etc, are Greasable joints, and they were bone dry. Since they are under the skid place, most places like Jiffy Lube or whatever, won't mess with them.

He's positive that the fact that they hadn't been greased, and the amount of time I spend in the water is what caused their early demise.

PARAGON
03-27-2004, 02:04 AM
I got a little more info on my torsion bars. They are only going to replace the passenger side bar. Apparently it was a weak bar to begin with and for the truck to sit correctly it's adjustment bolt had to be screwed all the way in. There is no explanation as to why the driver's side was screwed so far out. But the z heights are correct and it appears to be aligned. We'll see what they come up with next week when the put the new torsion bar in.

PARAGON
03-27-2004, 02:15 AM
I agree. And the service tech's note said something to the effect of "very weak right torsion bar." Bugs me the most is that this has apparently been this way from day one and I am just now catching it. I know I have crawled under and just laid there for 30 minutes or so 4 or 5 times. Not doing anything to it, just looking. I don't know why I do it, hell, I forget half of what I saw. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But this was so obvious that I can't believe I missed it before.

FrgMstr
03-27-2004, 12:09 PM
You know, Hummer QC is at best questionable. I have seen more than a few instances where things were BROKEN during install at the factory and never fixed. Now be it nothing along the lines of the magnitude of a bad torsion bar, but issues all the same. I got a survey in the mail this week from Hummer and I will certainly outline these issues.

PARAGON
03-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Well, we had a happening today at an off road park. We haven't had rain this month so it was extremely dry when most of the year it stays extremely muddy. The dealership puts on these happenings and come to find out most of the owners that show up are somewhat timid and don't want to do very much on the trail. Also, some there today had brand new rigs and were not ready to do anything very bad.

I didn't do much either. We rode one short trail and my driver's side front suspension started banging. Not knocking, not popping...banging. I could feel it in my feet and it was coming from the driver's side and felt like the frame was being hit with a hammer. When I took the rig in earlier this week the service tech said they were replacing the passenger side because it was weak. There was another service tech there today who took off steps and was there for support. He took a look and couldn't find anything wrong or anything loose. Jacked up the front end and the driver's torsion bar was still loaded. He took it for a spin and luckily had the bang happen for him.

This was early in the ride so it made me apprehensive to do much else, especially with my illness, having my wife, 3 year old daughter and 1 year German Shepherd all with me. We did get some video from the dashcam of most of the ride and of some 4wheelers in a bad hole and some Jeepers that were there. I will post that some time next week.

To top that off, after the happening was over a couple of us stayed and rode around watching the 4wheelers and Jeeps. I filmed a H1 going through a mud hole and then decided to follow hoping my front end would stay together. We went through fine but then a few minutes after that my Service Air Suspension notice comes on.

I gave up and headed home.

FrgMstr
03-29-2004, 12:09 PM
"...know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em."

I can say that I am getting better at that, in terms of the H2 anyway.

Detonate
03-29-2004, 12:16 PM
http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PARAGON
03-31-2004, 10:08 PM
I took the rig back to the dealer today. They are replacing the right torsion bar and the tech came out and ask if it was still banging on the left, "yes it is, even worse." http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

No one has any ideas what that might be except for the left torsion bar but I could find where the bar was hitting anywhere. Getting the fuel filter changed, a service done and the air suspension looked at. Hopefully I will get it back tomorrow with some answers.

cinci
03-31-2004, 11:03 PM
Paragon,

Is the banging on the drivers side only when you go over rough bumps? I have started having a banging sound also on the drivers side almost under my feet. I only hear it when I hit very rough bumps. It sounds like something heavy hitting the frame.

My truck is going in on Friday to have the idler arms looked at. The truck pulls to the right badly on acceleration and the steering wheel is not longer centered.

I also noticed the tires toeing in badly coming up one of the rock ledges this past week end when my girl friend was driving. This appears to be the same problem that Det had. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

PARAGON
03-31-2004, 11:24 PM
David,

I haven't been able to narrow it down. I can go over a bump go back and go over it again and it will do it the first time but not the second. You described exactly what I hear/feel but it doesn't do it consistently in any driving situation except for bumps. It is like if the front end gets light from coming off a bump is when it does it the most, but I can't be sure of that. The tech jacked it up this weekend at a Hummer Happening and he could find anything loose or noticably bumping.

Other than the noise/feel you don't notice it. There is no pulling, no unlevel stance, steering is the same, etc.

I'll post here as soon as I know more so you can tell you dealer what to look for.

PARAGON
03-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Funny enough, I was just thinking about torsion bars, as I get my truck back tomorrow, hopefully with a new idler arm. I mentioned the lean to them and they also replaced the right hand rear coil, which had taken a set at some point.

I also got the fuel filter, air filter changed, throttle body cleaned, and some other service stuff done.

Hope they solve your banging sound out, and keep us informed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I need to clean my throttle body also, my truck is sounding like is has a high lobed cam when idling sometimes. My Denali does the same thing and I have used "Carb Cleaner" on it after the tech at the GMC dealership told me that's all he does.

cinci
04-01-2004, 12:09 AM
Paragon,

Your description of the tire getting light after going over a bump is exactly what I am experiancing. Please keep me informed on what you find and I will be talking to my dealer on Friday morning.

PARAGON
04-02-2004, 12:15 AM
David,

I got no update on my truck today and it's still there. Hopefully I'll get it back tomorrow and will post as soon as I know what they did to fix it.

PARAGON
04-02-2004, 07:32 PM
I spoke to the service rep (not service tech) and he said they were almost done but didn't think it would be done today and I am to come pick it up on Monday.

Asked about the banging sound in the left front end. The rep said that there was a bulletin on that. Klaus do you know of a bulletin for a "popping sound from the left front?"

cinci
04-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Paragon,

We have a H2 tech here that is very good and I took a long ride with him this morning to demonstrate the noise. He heard the noise but didn't offer any explanation as to what it might be. If there is a bulletin that would be helpful.

As far as the idler/pitman arm goes he says that this is normal for almost any H2 that is off roaded much. I am not sure that I like that explanation and I don't want to be replacing them every 6 months. Have you heard of any heavy duty aftermarket replacements?

I am supposed to pick up the truck tonight but they haven't called me as of yet.

PARAGON
04-02-2004, 08:51 PM
The dealer here has 2 good techs also. I haven't spoke to either one of them, only the service rep.

I don't know about the idler/pitman situation. There are three (that I know of) that had the problem show up in the last week.

cinci
04-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Paragon,

I recieved my truck back from the dealer yesterday and they replaced the idler and pitman arms under warranty no questions. The tech said that this is common on any truck that is wheeled much.

They didn't have time to get to the rattle unless I left it longer and they thought it could be the supension components that they replaced. I needed the truck back so I told them that if it contiues to rattle I will bring it back at the next oil change.

It is still rattling http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. Have they fixed this with yours?

PARAGON
04-04-2004, 07:20 PM
They still have it, I get it back tomorrow. I could have gotten it some time yesterday but I am generally out at my farm fri and sat so I told them I would pick it up tomorrow. Besides they said they thought it would be done yesterday.

Friday afternoon they still had to put it back together, adjust the ride height and then do the alignment. I still don't know the end results yet.

PARAGON
04-05-2004, 09:28 PM
The banging had nothing to do with the suspension. It was associated with the TSB Klaus posted here: http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=381104074&r=673104284#673104284

It's the first TSB Klaus posted. I picked it up and was driving down the highway and the noise was worse, so I turned around and went back. The tech and I then rode down the street and he heard again. We get back and he shows me what it is. On the driver's side there is inner sheet metal and outer sheet metal making up the fender where the battery is. The TSB says to dimple the inner fender and he did that but it made it worse. There is a hole on the outer panel that he also had to "dimple".

PARAGON
04-05-2004, 09:29 PM

PARAGON
04-05-2004, 09:30 PM
From the hole on the outer fender

PARAGON
04-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Tech said that my right torsion bar was very weak and that had him more concerned than the left one (the one with the bolt hanging down).

Replaced the right one, set the ride height and re-aligned it. Now both bolts are roughly the same. Tech said that before it seemed my front was sitting lower than it should be so he had the bolts adjusted a little higher so that it is more even front to back (no rake).