PDA

View Full Version : Any Hummer techs out there?

DavidAragon
11-10-2004, 11:23 PM
I hate to bring this up again but I'm hearing both sides of the story... "It's okay if the a-arms ride up against the bump stop" to "no way".

What is the distance btwn the a-arm and the bump stop supposed to be? (since I don't have an alignment shop or super tech-abilities, me trying to measure the z-height the way out of the service manual just doesn't seem to be working...)

Thanks,
David

DavidAragon
I hate to bring this up again but I'm hearing both sides of the story... "It's okay if the a-arms ride up against the bump stop" to "no way".

What is the distance btwn the a-arm and the bump stop supposed to be? (since I don't have an alignment shop or super tech-abilities, me trying to measure the z-height the way out of the service manual just doesn't seem to be working...)

Thanks,
David

DavidAragon

Thanks,
David

Hummie2
11-11-2004, 07:38 AM
Yeah, that picture in the shop manual sucks. Hell its a diagram of a 2WD front end anyway! If you have the GM SI 2000 CD shopmanual set go to the GMC section and look it up you will see the correct diagram and it will make more sense.

I am not a Hummer tech, but just as a quick check the distance for the front of the H2 from the ground to the wheel arch opening should be aprox. 42" with stock tires. The H2 has a 2 stage bump stop and mine touched on the first stage of the bump stop when new. I cranked my torsion bars to give it about 1/2" clearance between the stop and and A arm. If you do that you WILL have to align the front end, especially the toe-in. The camber will change some also. Be advised if you do raise the front very much the angle on the tierods starts to get pretty scary and really loads the idler and pitman arms quite a bit.

Don

DavidAragon
11-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi,
Thanks... I can't imagine why GM would design a 'Hummer' to have so little clearance.

But, I guess if it works... it works.

I only have a printed out manual page (off the web) and it shows the a-arm and how to measure it.

Thanks,
David

Hummie2
11-11-2004, 06:22 PM
David here is the proper diagram.