PDA

View Full Version : Exterior hi-lift mounted all the time?

ree
11-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Can a hi-lift ride on the outside of the truck all the time without one of the soft/hard cases in northern climates? Or is this just going to ruin it very quickly with salt and sand? Or is it okay so long as I clean and lightly grease it from time to time?

I've had mine a few months and it's come in very handy helping others out, even on road. So I want to have it on hand all the time. It's been living in the cargo area behind the second row seat backs, but I need to reclaim the interior space for some other gear.

ree
11-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Can a hi-lift ride on the outside of the truck all the time without one of the soft/hard cases in northern climates? Or is this just going to ruin it very quickly with salt and sand? Or is it okay so long as I clean and lightly grease it from time to time?

I've had mine a few months and it's come in very handy helping others out, even on road. So I want to have it on hand all the time. It's been living in the cargo area behind the second row seat backs, but I need to reclaim the interior space for some other gear.

Beastmaster
11-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Do you have an external tire carrier? If so, try this:

http://24.248.84.138/hummers/Hi-Lift_Mount/hi-lift_ubolt_mount.htm

This is based off of an SMA type tire carrier.

ree
11-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Yes it's one of the options I'm considering (only my spare tire mount is not the SMA and doesn't have the A-frame, just a vertical pillar).

I'm primarily concerned with whether the hi-lift can go "nude" all year or if this will just rust it out very quickly.

Since I want to have it on hand all the time, if nude-external-carry will ruin it, I'll need to explore mounting solutions where I can use one of the hard cases like a Jack Guard (http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/jackguard/) which would make things trickier since I don't have a roof rack yet.

Beastmaster
11-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Spray it down every once in a while. Lube it and it will be fine.

Once it starts to show any serious rust, sand it and paint it with POR-15. I did that to my old one and repainted it Case Tractor Red. It faded down to what you see in the pictures today.

My old 48" jack has seen a ton of crap - over 15 years worth. I recently replaced it with a 60". Still have the old one - just in case I need 2!

ree
11-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Good deal. That definitely gives more mounting options.

OrangeCrush
11-27-2005, 03:01 PM
A friend of mine keeps one outside on his truck all the time. He regularily goes to the beach. His trick... ? Get it powdercoated.

Mark

ree
11-27-2005, 04:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrangeCrush:
... Get it powdercoated.
Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Intriguing. I take it this means blast all the paint off and powdercoat. What would this really cost?

It sounds cool, but I think I'd rather drop $50 on a new one in a few years rather than pony up for a powdercoat.

OrangeCrush
11-27-2005, 11:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ree:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrangeCrush:
... Get it powdercoated.
Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Intriguing. I take it this means blast all the paint off and powdercoat. What would this really cost?

It sounds cool, but I think I'd rather drop $50 on a new one in a few years rather than pony up for a powdercoat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say powdercoating would cost about 50-100 bucks depending on where you go.

Like you said, if a new one is only 50 bucks, you can afford to just keep replacing it every few years.

Mark