PDA

View Full Version : Warning about Edelbrock Trailing Arms

Klaus
10-18-2004, 12:44 AM
I spent this afternoon attempting to install my Edelbrock trailing arms. Unfortunately, there is a problem with them that kept me from installing them.

The front steel bushing is way too thin (and a little too short). I never could get the front bolt tight, and it actually bent the frame inward. The bushing actually tried to punch through the frame, as it was too thin. Keep in mind the torque spec is 140 ft-lbs!

Factory part is in the center.

Klaus
I spent this afternoon attempting to install my Edelbrock trailing arms. Unfortunately, there is a problem with them that kept me from installing them.

The front steel bushing is way too thin (and a little too short). I never could get the front bolt tight, and it actually bent the frame inward. The bushing actually tried to punch through the frame, as it was too thin. Keep in mind the torque spec is 140 ft-lbs!

Klaus

Klaus
10-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Penny does not cover up factory bushing.

Klaus
10-18-2004, 12:49 AM
Penny is larger than Edelbrock bushing.

Klaus
10-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Interestingly, the rear bushing on the Edelbrocks are the correct thickness.

Klaus
10-18-2004, 12:52 AM
Comparison of Edelbrock front and rear bushings.

PARAGON
10-18-2004, 01:30 AM
Klaus,

Was there no "washers" or other "adapter" that goes between the bushing and the frame. The rubber part of the bushing would be binding on the metal frame and most you'll see some time of flange sticking out further than the rubber/polyurethane bushings and you torque against metal only.

Did the stock ones have some type of insert, flange or washer with them that you can use?

Klaus
10-18-2004, 01:39 AM
Paragon,

There are no washers or adapters on the stock units, and none came with the Edelbrocks.

Here's a link to Edelbrock's instructions:

http://edelbrock.r-catalog.com/ImgVD/EDE/5260-LowerTrailingArmsfor0.pdf

DRTYFN
10-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Damn... and I was going to buy those next to beef up the wussy stocks arms.

HummerLV
10-18-2004, 01:56 PM
i put those on my rig a few weeks ago with no problems, yes i did the work myself, and it has firmed up the ride, seems a lot more stable, i didn't have a problem with loosness or trying to pull through. the only thing i saw was that there was no way to get to the zerk fitting as shipped so i turned the zerks to face forward.

Klaus
10-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Hmmm... Did you tighten them with a torque wrench to 140 ft-lbs?

You might want to go back and check them again. They could be loose!

TBarrow
10-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Hotchkis Performance came out with a set in place of the factory as well.

http://www.hotchkis.net/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=1305

HummerLV
10-22-2004, 08:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus:
Hmmm... Did you tighten them with a torque wrench to 140 ft-lbs?

You might want to go back and check them again. They could be loose! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

klaus- yes checked them today, 1/2" craftsman torque wrench, click,click said the torquer,
i'll give them a good workout this weekend, going wheelin around Death Valley.

MisterEd
10-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Hotchkiss trailing arms have the grease fittings on the down side... first time out I tore 'em off.... Hothkiss does "not warrant their products to be used off road."... In spite of the fact that they claim it's a better than OEM part....

Patriot
11-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Hey Phil,

I sent you a PM on a Rancho Steering Stabilizer?? Did you ever put yours on?? Any problems with install or steering afterward??

Thanks

Edelbrock
11-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Klaus, Phil and I spoke today regarding your issues with the trailing arms, this is our first experience like this but rest assured Phil @ Trail Duty and Edelbrock will work together to resolve your issues and get you back on the road! I would like to apologize for this unfortunate incident, we will work rapidly to correct this and re-issue you the correct trailing arms, we appreciate your understanding regarding this. I would also like to thank Phil @ Trail Duty for his outsatanding customer service handling this issue with the utmost urgency! Klaus we will have you back out on the road ASAP! Once again thank you!

Larry
Edelbrock Technical.

Klaus
11-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Larry,

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Phil has gone the extra mile to take care of this, and I appreciate it!

Phil and Larry - Please keep us posted on the updated trailing arms. I'm sure several of us are still interested in these!

SOCRATES
11-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Even though this isn't related to the trailing arms, I must comment on Phil's fantastic customer service as well. I bought my Gobi rack from him several months ago, and it was a real joy.

Cheers,
-Justyn

Edelbrock
11-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Gentlemen, as Phil stated the bushings were incorrect and we have rectified the issue and it was an isolated incident, Phil has been "go the extra mile for the customer" helpful! Thanks Phil,

DRTYFN
03-22-2005, 05:19 AM
Edelbock,
If you're still checking in on this thread, I'd like to ask you a question since I've left 5 (unansweredhttp://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif)voice mail messages for your always busy techs.

How exactly do you envision someone being able to get to the grease fittings on the trailing arms? With your design they're on top of the rear part of the trailing arm which is inaccessible. Just curious.

And also, are the trailing arms and panhard bar rubber bushings going to squeak so loud that I can hear it in the cabin with the windows up forever?

guruerror
07-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Hotchkiss trailing arms have the grease fittings on the down side... first time out I tore 'em off.... Hothkiss does "not warrant their products to be used off road."... In spite of the fact that they claim it's a better than OEM part....
Flip them over when you install...you'll need to drill a whole in the frame for the zerk to slip in and it's a done deal.