PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Inaccuracies?

Tedster
11-10-2002, 01:59 AM
My fuel gauge barely touches the "F" mark after I completely fill the tank. My other vehicles including my wife's new suburban read slightly over the full mark when completely filling up.

My "range" display shows about 350 miles left after filling. Today I ran down to less than 1/8 tank left to "E", and range display shows 40 miles left. I completely filled the tank and it only took 23.5 gallons. The manual shows tank capacity is 32 gallons. That translates to 8.5 gallons left in tank with 40 mile range.

Is that reading consistent with your H2s? It seems to me that my fuel gage is reading too low. Please advise when you are filling up next for comparisons.

Thanks,

Ted

03 Yellow H2,Adventure Package,Luxury Package,Sunroof, Wrap-around Grill Guard w/Lts.,Tailight Guards,Roof Lights,Tubular Sidesteps,SMA Tire Rack,Carbon Fiber Dash, Custom Exhaust

Tedster
11-10-2002, 01:59 AM
My fuel gauge barely touches the "F" mark after I completely fill the tank. My other vehicles including my wife's new suburban read slightly over the full mark when completely filling up.

My "range" display shows about 350 miles left after filling. Today I ran down to less than 1/8 tank left to "E", and range display shows 40 miles left. I completely filled the tank and it only took 23.5 gallons. The manual shows tank capacity is 32 gallons. That translates to 8.5 gallons left in tank with 40 mile range.

Is that reading consistent with your H2s? It seems to me that my fuel gage is reading too low. Please advise when you are filling up next for comparisons.

Thanks,

Ted

03 Yellow H2,Adventure Package,Luxury Package,Sunroof, Wrap-around Grill Guard w/Lts.,Tailight Guards,Roof Lights,Tubular Sidesteps,SMA Tire Rack,Carbon Fiber Dash, Custom Exhaust

Texas Red
11-10-2002, 02:18 AM
My experience is similar to yours but perhaps not quite as severe.
1. When I fill it up it shows full but not over.
2. I have driven until the warning bell and low fuel light came on which was very close to the empty mark if not right at it.
3. Computer said I had about 40 miles range remaining at that point.
4. It only took 26 gallons to fill it up again.

I've gone past the fuel warning until I thought I was running on fumes and it only took 27 gallons.

I figure they intended a 5 gallon hidden reserve (but that's just a guess). In an off road environmnent at 7-8 mpg, that would still give you about 35 miles before you actually ran dry.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

HummerGirl
11-10-2002, 06:35 PM
Funny you mentioned this...

My dad filled my H2 up this weekend and the gauge was on about 1/8th of a tank left. He refueled at 27 gallons and then the gauge went over the "f" line.

Hmm...I wish I had read the range on the dash now. But I too was expecting to fill up around 30 gallons at such a low reading.

oh well.

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com

Bill Kervaski
11-10-2002, 07:15 PM
Mine seems to be dead on. I drove it to "E" and then filled it up (32.5 Gallons) and it ended up right on the "F".

- Bill

Texas Red
11-10-2002, 08:20 PM
Hmmm. 32.5 gallons in a 32 gallon tank and you weren't even out of gas. That's a little surprising. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

hummerbot
11-10-2002, 10:16 PM
Bill: Sure you don't mean 32.5 $$$ instead of gal?
Were your shoes smelly afterwards?

Amy: Can your dad come fill my H2 up too?

Mine is like the first post. Near empty requires only 25 gal or so to fill up. Goes to F. Still gittin 18mpg so it's no issue /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

hummerbot

HummerGirl
11-10-2002, 11:10 PM
WOW Hummerbot...it must be flatter where you are than where I am????

18mpg is awesome. Do you have the special filter system or something like that???

How many miles do you have on your H2? I have only 1700. And my brother in law said that his Dodge (it's a big one) started getting 18 mpg after he hit the 5000 mile marker. He stated that he was getting around 12 and then it got better once it was "broken in".

So far 15 mpg on the highway so not too shabby and seems to be getting better with every long trip.

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com