PDA

View Full Version : Any electrical engineers out there? Or H2 techs?

Alex
11-20-2002, 02:10 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has figured our how to merge the driving lights onto the headlight circuit. I would like to do this if anyone has done it.

Alex
11-20-2002, 02:10 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has figured our how to merge the driving lights onto the headlight circuit. I would like to do this if anyone has done it.

buddy
11-20-2002, 03:10 PM
If you're referring to the brush lights it's a breeze.

I installed a set of Hella driving lights and wired them into the high beam side of the headlight system. They only come on when you hit the high beams.

You need a simple relay from the auto supply house(one for aux lights). They have marked terminals:
#85-Ground
#87-To the aux lights.
#86-Source-Green wire from the high beam to
trigger the relay.
#30-Fused wire from the Battery.

Terminal ends, wire, wire loom and soldering gun.

Splice into the green wire that plugs into one of the headlights and attach to #86. Wire both aux lights to #87. I used 14 gauge wire to the lights. Run ground from frame to #85. Run 12 gauge wire thru fuse directly to battery.

I used 3M double sided tape and attached the relay behind the battery.

I have aux lights on the Hummer and a Z-71 wired thru the high beam circuit. The ones on the Hummer are the Hella Black Magic. The Z-71 has a set of Hella HID's that will light up as far as you can see. I wish I could put them on the Hummer, but they won't fit on the brush mounts without lot of modifying.

Whatever you put on will be better than stock on dark roads.

Best to you

buddy

Texas Red
11-20-2002, 03:25 PM
Buddy,
I think he was asking about the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). Maybe the same basic info applies, but I don't know.

It is weird that we can't control the DRLs. If you don't want them on during the day, you have to manually turn them off every time you start up the rig, and you can't make them stay on with the headlights at night.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Alex
11-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Buddy,

Thanks! Texas Red is right. I was hoping to wire the Day Time Driving Lights to the headlamps. Do you think this is possible?

buddy
11-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Alex,

There is probably a way to keep the DRLs on. It may just be a matter of cutting or disconnecting the right wire. Someone in the service dept should know.

You could always splice in to the parking lights.
That would keep them on all the time. When you turn the parking lights on the DRLs turn off as it is now. Wiring to the parking lights would keep the DRLs on.

Must be an easier way.

buddy

SunsetShannon
11-20-2002, 11:57 PM
I really like the look of the orange running lights lit up all over the truck. Is it possible to tie these in with the day-time front running lamps? As it is now, I either go DRL during the day, or have to manually switch over to parking lights - loosing my DRL.

MAC
11-21-2002, 02:46 AM
These running lights are beautiful to see at night, like nothing else on the road. You know Hummer has arrived when you see them. But having them on during the day may look pretty weird, if they can see them. I would think there is something wrong with this guy's brake lights.