PDA

View Full Version : Installed SMA valance w/ PIAA 520's

frank6150
04-11-2004, 01:38 AM
I finally got off my lazy ass and installed this thing after looking at it for 2 days, confident that I couldn't do it.

This valance was by far the most horrific craftsmanship I have seen yet from SMA. Not ONE hole matched up evenly throughout the install, I had to drill every one to make things line up. Even for the damn gay wings I had to drill to get them back on.

The process was definitely not pleasant and my lack of abilities in the mechanical department surely didn't help matters much. So after 2 broken drill bits, at least a pack of smokes, 4 hours of my damn time, what could potentially be a wound that requires stitching, sizzly battery fear syndrome and excessive use of the F bomb I got that bastard installed. I was soo happy that on the way home I high beamed everyone and laid on the air horn at every car that passed me.

frank6150
I finally got off my lazy ass and installed this thing after looking at it for 2 days, confident that I couldn't do it.

This valance was by far the most horrific craftsmanship I have seen yet from SMA. Not ONE hole matched up evenly throughout the install, I had to drill every one to make things line up. Even for the damn gay wings I had to drill to get them back on.

The process was definitely not pleasant and my lack of abilities in the mechanical department surely didn't help matters much. So after 2 broken drill bits, at least a pack of smokes, 4 hours of my damn time, what could potentially be a wound that requires stitching, sizzly battery fear syndrome and excessive use of the F bomb I got that bastard installed. I was soo happy that on the way home I high beamed everyone and laid on the air horn at every car that passed me.

frank6150

frank6150
I hate SMA but it looks damn good...

frank6150
04-11-2004, 01:39 AM

frank6150
04-11-2004, 01:39 AM

frank6150
04-11-2004, 01:40 AM

Navigator
04-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Looks great, whats up with the silver lower grille?
How much and where did you get the kit?

frank6150
04-11-2004, 02:57 AM
The silver grille is a mistake I made when I first bought the truck and it won't seem to come off. I figure when I get really tired of looking at it I will give it one last attempt and if it won't give I will buy a new one.

I got the valance from Jason, $339.00 to my door powder coated. Didn't want to spend that much just to mount lights but I got tired of asking for something custom to be made to accommidate them and it seemed like an easy solution.

frank6150
04-11-2004, 03:09 AM
I'm also planning to use the screw holes on the valance that the brush guard mounts into to put 2 more lights there somehow. Scratches don't matter a whole lot to me so I won't be putting a guard on anytime soon.

Might as well make some use out of it since it cost more than the damn PIAA's, just have to have someone make me brackets to place the lights on.

Buckeye Hummer
04-11-2004, 03:31 AM
Something is screwed up Frank. They're totally crooked. You better give it another shot and this time don't drink while you're doing it.

frank6150
04-11-2004, 03:37 AM
It looks worse than it is, they are mounted flush with the opening but the valance has a slight bend at the ends. They throw light pretty good and aren't facing out to the point that they serve no purpose.

Had I been drinking I would have just left the front end of the truck off, shot it a few times and danced happily on its remains.

DRTYFN
04-11-2004, 05:27 AM
Frank, you know you could have used PIAA 525's. They use an H4 bulb and have a cool little dual LED that gives it a kind of glowing effect when the main lights aren't on.

DRTYFN
04-11-2004, 05:28 AM
Can't you just rattle can the silver grill insert?

frank6150
04-11-2004, 12:42 PM
It will come down to me doing that or just replacing the whole piece, it's only like 70 bucks.

For some reason I liked the 520's but I am not real thrilled with the yellow color they emit. Is it the bulb that is doing that? If so it's gonna get replaced real soon.

DRTYFN
04-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Just replace the bulbs with SilverStars.

HGW
04-11-2004, 04:15 PM
DRTYFN--thanks for the pic--I like your lamps better than the one with the grills. I will buy them tomorrow.

SOCRATES
04-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Frank,

Did your 520's fit completely flush inside the openings? If so, how did you get them to fit? Mine still are sitting at an angle (can't tell in the pic though)..
http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

-J

Mike (by the beach)
04-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the pics -- I want to add some PIAA lights -- I was thinking a brush guard -- but I may try the valance -- LOOKS GOOD

TBarrow
04-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Check out this from Warn. If you want to add aftermarket lights to the factory brush guard.

http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/light_bar_hummer2.shtml

KenP
04-27-2004, 12:36 AM
How did I miss this thread? The valance looks great Frank. I better get some lights hooked up fast or I will be the only non-highbeaming HUMMER in July. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif