PDA

View Full Version : whats the warrantee on the h3?

wannabeH3
12-29-2005, 07:18 PM
??

wannabeH3
12-29-2005, 07:18 PM
??

fourfourto
12-29-2005, 07:21 PM
4 years 50,000 miles

NJHummerGuy
12-29-2005, 08:37 PM
four...i thought it was 3/36k....that is what I was told and what is in the book.

wannabeH3
12-29-2005, 08:40 PM
oh boy here we go :P hehe

DarthKarl
12-29-2005, 09:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJHummerGuy:
four...i thought it was 3/36k....that is what I was told and what is in the book. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the original warranty from Hummer during the first few months of H3 sales, then in all the "employee discount" stuff between the car makers, Hummer upped the warranty to 4/50k.

I think that change applies back to all the prior sales.

fourfourto
12-29-2005, 09:15 PM
I bought mine end of august and it was 4/50k and that includes dealer installed accessorys at time of delivery.Otherwise 1 year on accessorys.

f5fstop
12-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Mine is a very early build, VIN is 695, and my owner's manual states 4/50K. However, GM could have possibly updated the warranty somewhere during production and sent new warranty books to the dealers to be installed into the glove box at time of delivery.

NJHummerGuy
12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
I stand corrected......I was going on what was told to me by hummer tech at dealer...just checked the hummer site, it is 4/50K.

TNTH3
12-30-2005, 12:38 AM
Anybody get the extended warranty to 100,000? Dealer offered one but was around $2300 so we declined?

Steve - SanJose
12-30-2005, 04:46 AM
4 year/50k

I read an article this year where GM gave Hummers the longer warranty so that it would be line with the warranty of what they call "premium" vehicles such as Cadillac. I guess they are trying to reinforce that Hummer is kind of the GM version of Land Rover.

Surferjo
12-30-2005, 12:15 PM
This is my 1st GM product are the warranties on other GM makes as high as the H3?

My 04 Wrangler cost me $1000 to upgrade from 3/36 to 7/70 bumper-to-bumper.

Even my Audi was only $1400 to upgrade from 4/50k (not sure exactly what the mileage was on that one)

f5fstop
12-30-2005, 01:01 PM
A person from Warranty Direct, the largest independent aftermarket auto warranty company explained to me at a meeting once how warranties are figured.
Basically, they are figures similar to life insurance, the greater the risk the higher the cost. However, the greater the risk does NOT mean that a vehicle is more likely to break, it might mean it has more expensive components and other risks.
Example, on a Corvette, an extended warranty is pretty expensive, from the insurance companies stats, the drivetrain is more likely to break due to abuse such as jackrabbit starts (note, laying rubber) which is hard on the trans and rear end, which are expensive to service.
People who drive family type cars are normally not as hard on a car as a sport enthusiast.
On a 4x4, you have an additional axle (front), plus a transfer case, and on some, a rather expensive rear locking diff.
I would also ASSUME, that with the Hummer models, they feel the people will most likely take them on extreme off-roads, more so than someone who drives a trailblazer.
A little over a year ago, I purchase a 5 year/100K, zero deductible, full warranty on my 2003 Corvette from Warranty Direct. It cost approx. $2400.00. The same warranty on a H3, issued by another aftermarket company would cost about $2800.00. Considering the extra components on the H3, I find this price in line with the Vette.

Surferjo
12-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Ok but how does that compare to my Wrangler analogy. Granted the Wrangler is not nearly as off road capable as the H3 but it is still I see more Wranglers on the trails than H1, H2, and H3 combined. We can’t dismiss the fact that people are using the Wrangler in the same capacity.

Even more to that end one could extrapolate that since the Wrangler is so much cheaper it puts it well within the price range of many younger and 1st time buyers, who are notoriously harsh on their cars. I know what I was like with my 1st Wrangler back in 1987. Lets just say I got my moneys worth out of my 7/70 upgraded warranty.

This is not an attack on your statement; it’s more of an attack on the logic behind the warranty pricing.

f5fstop
12-30-2005, 09:09 PM
As there are more wranglers on the trails, there are more on the city streets that never see any harse driving that helps to even out the risks. In addition, wrangler parts are more prevalent, thus less expensive.
Other than Rubicons, the axles are not that expensive, and if let's say I replace the stock axles with D60s or a Ford 8.8, they are not warrantied by the company, since they are not stock.
A stock D35 axle is about $900.00, and a few hundred more for installation. A stock Eaton E-locker is probably around 25-3000.00, with a few hundred for installation.
I know a few people with Jeeps, and only those that have modified suspensions and/or drivetrains, take them off-road, and if modified, the extended warranty will not cover the modified parts.
My youngest has a Rubicon that has never seen anything worse than his unpaved road. He washes it more than I used to wash my '03 Vette. But it is his fun car, and in the summer, the top is always off.
However, to let you know, I checked on an extended 5/100K warranty on my Jeep and it was in the 1600.00 range. I decided against it and replaced the rear end with a beefier axle.
The one strange thing about insurance is that for car insurance, my 2003 Vette was $50.00 less per year than the 2003 Jeep. Figure that one out?
The other thing that has to be taken into account is the history of the vehicle. Wranglers have a very long history, while the H3 has a very short service history.

New information.
Just went to get comparative bids on powertrain warranties between a Rubicon and a H3, and the company I had received H3 quote on appears to have gone out of business....1 source auto warranties. Surprised me, this company was one of the oldest in the business.