PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic skin protector option

H2mike
01-10-2004, 01:08 PM
I really like the idea of these paint protectors. As many of you know they run between $450-$700, depending on where you purchase and the color. I found an alternative option from my friend who does signs and vinyl letterting. He showed me one of his suppliers that carry the large magnetic sheets(same thickness as SMA). They carry a large variety of colors and sizes. I found the sheets that I may purchase: diamond plate. It is a brand new "color/style" for this sheeting. The only downfall to this sheeting is the size. The largest width is 24", but it actually would be easy to piece two together. All you would need to do is run a similar style vinyl down the seam to hold them together when removing. You will need to do the cutting too, but that can be done with scissors or a razor. The advantages would be both the pricing and more skin coverage. Example price: 24" X 10' -Diamond Plate - $45.00 . Not bad at all. Just think, $180 worth of magnetic sheets would cover the same amount as SMA, but you get to choose MORE colors and styles. If you purchased 1 more sheet, you can cove ALL additional metal sufaces that SMA cannot. I will look into the sizes more because I think you can get a 50' roll. Also, the solid colors are even cheaper. Just wanted to share some info/ideas and will let you know how I make out.

What do you guys/gals think?

Mike - Station 38 Fire Chief -
'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID's, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA's, Warn 9.5ti winch, SMA HD Brush Gaurd w/ 2 PIAA 525's, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520's, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport exhaust, Husky Liners, 12 Hide Away Strobes, Whelen Dash Dual Strobe, 2 Whelen LED bars, Remote Mount Motorola Low Band, Sho-Me/Whelen Siren, XM Radio

H2mike
01-10-2004, 01:08 PM
I really like the idea of these paint protectors. As many of you know they run between $450-$700, depending on where you purchase and the color. I found an alternative option from my friend who does signs and vinyl letterting. He showed me one of his suppliers that carry the large magnetic sheets(same thickness as SMA). They carry a large variety of colors and sizes. I found the sheets that I may purchase: diamond plate. It is a brand new "color/style" for this sheeting. The only downfall to this sheeting is the size. The largest width is 24", but it actually would be easy to piece two together. All you would need to do is run a similar style vinyl down the seam to hold them together when removing. You will need to do the cutting too, but that can be done with scissors or a razor. The advantages would be both the pricing and more skin coverage. Example price: 24" X 10' -Diamond Plate - $45.00 . Not bad at all. Just think, $180 worth of magnetic sheets would cover the same amount as SMA, but you get to choose MORE colors and styles. If you purchased 1 more sheet, you can cove ALL additional metal sufaces that SMA cannot. I will look into the sizes more because I think you can get a 50' roll. Also, the solid colors are even cheaper. Just wanted to share some info/ideas and will let you know how I make out.

What do you guys/gals think?

Mike - Station 38 Fire Chief -
'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID's, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA's, Warn 9.5ti winch, SMA HD Brush Gaurd w/ 2 PIAA 525's, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520's, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport exhaust, Husky Liners, 12 Hide Away Strobes, Whelen Dash Dual Strobe, 2 Whelen LED bars, Remote Mount Motorola Low Band, Sho-Me/Whelen Siren, XM Radio

H2BIG
01-10-2004, 07:39 PM
I like http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif, Let us know how it goes and please post pics. I was planning on getting the SMA skins this Spring. This sounds like a good alternative.

Brian
03 Pewter H2 Lux, Sunroof, Airaid filter/MIT, Nology Wires, Corsa Touring

RIC-H0
01-14-2004, 03:44 AM
Let me know if it come in a camo pattern.
That would be awesome to have for hunting.
For both protection and camo use.

I've been wondering if there was a cheaper option out there.

Thanks, Ric-H2

1BADH2
01-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Please let us know I'm very interested.

JJ
01-24-2004, 10:54 PM
definitely interested - any news?

JJ

H2mike
01-25-2004, 02:51 PM
I am waiting to hear from the guy. He is going to find out on both the camo option and if the rolls come in 50' or larger. I let you know when I find out.

Zing
01-26-2004, 01:15 AM
mike, i'm definitely interested. black.

RIC-H0
02-16-2004, 03:21 AM
Any news on the magnetic sheets?
I would still like to get it in camo if it's avail.

Ric-H2

\"Doc\"-sqrd
02-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Hi H2Mike,

Likewise interested in camo!

"Doc-Sqrd

RIC-H0
02-16-2004, 08:50 PM
I spoke with a sign maker here in San Antonio.
He said he could get me a roll(25 Feet) of magnetic skin for $90. He also mentioned he could print it with a camo pattern for an additional $50. So, if anyone is interested, I can get those items at that price all day long.
It may require a little work to cutt out the shapes of the panels, but at that price, it's worth it!

Ric-H2

\"Doc\"-sqrd
02-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Hi Ric-H2,

Thanks for following through on finding a source. Could you check with your vender to see what camo patterns would be available? (Prefer MOSG or MOBU). Agreed, the price is right.

"Doc"-sqrd

BKLYNH2
02-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Hey guys-
As one who is always trying to save a buck if I can, I will relay the following. I looked into buying the magnetic vinyl and making my own panels a long time ago. 450$ plus seemed crazy to me as well. Yes the raw material is not very expensive, I think I priced it at just over $100 for black. Also the panels that are sold are not taller than 24" either. You have to use two pieces per door. So don't think they are any better in that way. The trick is that once you see these panels you realize that cutting your own would be an incredible undertaking. It is not merely cutting at every door seam. You have cut outs for door handles, logos and the gas fill area. After a while it becomes evident that creating these from scratch is very time consuming. So unless you are presently unemployed and have nothing worthwhile to do with yourself the cost really is not that bad. When I got a quote for fixing the deep scratch on my door it was 350$ the panel cost didn't look so bad anymore.

S&B Member Since 2003

BKLYNH2
02-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Yes Alec, you are correct!http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
I probably do need them in the city just as much. While my example may be less than glamorous the point was that the damage where ever you may get it easily offsets the cost of the panels. Funny thing is that I never seem to have them on when I ought to.
Did I mention that after all the offroading I've done in the past year that I managed to snap my tie rod on the streets of NYC as well.
I'd post that story but after hearing all the flack you've gotten over your vid I figured it best not to do any further disservice to the H2.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Peter

S&B Member Since 2003

H2Lightning
02-17-2004, 11:48 PM
I could be interested in some "skins" at the right price. If anybody gets some deals, let us know.

Skulz
03-02-2004, 01:59 PM
I've been using the pre-cut shields for about 9 months now. They have been working great. Unfortunately there are some deep gouges on the hood and where the shields don't cover on the doors.

Some Experiences:

Putting the shields on in colder weather is easier, but they have a good chance of ripping on you (brittle), especially during removal. Putting the shields on in warm weather is a PITA (malleable) and requires extra patience.

I find it best if the shields are kept flat at all times. If you curl them up and it isn't warm enough, you will have great difficulty getting them to stick properly. If you fold them, the same applies with the addition of possible cracks/rips/tears.

Taping the front edges of the front doors is also a PITA. I'm currently experiencing sticky doors from tape residue. Still haven't found the perfect gunk remover.

Oh, I also don't bother using the little trim pieces on the very bottom of the doors. They just seem to get ripped off so easily. I've had many rips and tears in the big pieces and have to piecemeal them back on the truck like a puzzle.

DRTYFN
03-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Where in the Hell are you driving that you've got rips & tears in your shields?!!

S&B Member since '03

Skulz
03-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Heavily wooded areas & really narrow trails.

Some of the rips and tears come from taking the shields off when it is cold. They get really brittle.

BKLYNH2
03-02-2004, 02:54 PM
I've been wondering what could be done about the front(hood) area myself. Best I can think of for now is a piece of line from the brush guard to the rack up top to fend off some branches, but that won't solve everything. In the end I think you just have to accept scratches as adding character to your H2 http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

S&B Member Since 2003

devilsfan
03-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Colgan makes a half-bra that covers the hood decently. But be warned, it's way more a PITA to get on than the shields.

Stacy

2003 yellow Lux with sunroof, 3rd row seat,painted dash, rear tire carrier
1970 VW Karmann Ghia, black with a flame job and too many mods to list

PARAGON
03-02-2004, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by devilsfan:
Colgan makes a half-bra that covers the hood decently.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If it's a half-bra, does it only cover one boob, say, like Janet Jackson's. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

KenP
03-02-2004, 04:55 PM
CBS has taken care of that problem with the new and improved Jackson bra.

Black Lingenfelter Lux

BKLYNH2
03-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Do they also make one of those fancy nipple rings for the H2? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S&B Member Since 2003

PARAGON
03-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Sorry Stacy, it was too easy and I just couldn't resist.