PDA

View Full Version : New Winch Setup...

Buckeye Hummer
09-20-2003, 03:46 AM
So I know many of you have a winch setup. I just had mine wired for the front and rear today. I bought the Warn 9000i with cradle, rollers. I will post some pics later but had 3 questions/requests.

First, if you have a winch setup post a pic. I want see how it looks on the front, how you set the wire out etc.

Second, did you have it wired front and rear?

Third, are you leaving it on when you travel through the good stuff, has it obstructed your approach?

I am also considering a new air bag system after meeting with this Hummer pro (works on the race Hummers for Baja etc.) Anyway, he's got some setup with 4500 lb. bags compared to the 1800 lb. stock bags. The new setup is adjustable meaning you can increase the ride clearance up to 4-5 inches or anywhere in between. Sounds cool, and I'm considering doing it. I'll let everyone know. Oh, new tie rods too.

Buckeye Hummer
09-20-2003, 03:46 AM
So I know many of you have a winch setup. I just had mine wired for the front and rear today. I bought the Warn 9000i with cradle, rollers. I will post some pics later but had 3 questions/requests.

First, if you have a winch setup post a pic. I want see how it looks on the front, how you set the wire out etc.

Second, did you have it wired front and rear?

Third, are you leaving it on when you travel through the good stuff, has it obstructed your approach?

I am also considering a new air bag system after meeting with this Hummer pro (works on the race Hummers for Baja etc.) Anyway, he's got some setup with 4500 lb. bags compared to the 1800 lb. stock bags. The new setup is adjustable meaning you can increase the ride clearance up to 4-5 inches or anywhere in between. Sounds cool, and I'm considering doing it. I'll let everyone know. Oh, new tie rods too.

Big Z
09-20-2003, 12:01 PM
A coulpe of Front shots.

Big Z
09-20-2003, 12:09 PM
pic #2

1.) The winch is Remote control (key entry type)

2.) Wired front, doing the rear wire soon.

3.) 50/50, had it on a few times, haven't got real serious yet. The grocery story doesn't open till next month--Elk season!.

RonB
09-20-2003, 01:58 PM
I was also trying to find a good place to route my front winch cable...just settled for keeping it coiled inside the grill. I just reach in and pull it out when I need it. I haven't figured out what to do with the rear cable yet. It's tucked up around the rear reciever. I saw a picture here on the forum once with the rear cable bolted to the rear bumper? I want to do something -- I'm excited about the 28th outing to check out what others do.

I too was concerned with the loss of approach so I leave it in the back and pull it out when needed (rarely). But it makes me feel better having it back there. I made a place for the winch to sit so it doesn't slide around or bouce up and kill me on steep hills. It bolts to the same holes the old spare tire carrier used. Myself and others have very recently posted pics in General Discussion about this subject, in the "In Bumper Winch" thread.

Ron B

Big Z
09-20-2003, 02:09 PM
Winch Connectors

Big Z
09-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Winch Cable stowed for road. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif