PDA

View Full Version : Is this light rack really cool or is it just me??

technrd
12-10-2003, 12:08 PM
this is my first post, and I excited to get dirty. I wanted to ask you guys, to get some general thoughts on a part I saw on ebay. I haven't seen anything quite like this, I think I'm going to do it....
*http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447561023
theres the address to the ebay site to view this item....

technrd
12-10-2003, 12:08 PM
this is my first post, and I excited to get dirty. I wanted to ask you guys, to get some general thoughts on a part I saw on ebay. I haven't seen anything quite like this, I think I'm going to do it....
*http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447561023
theres the address to the ebay site to view this item....

Spike
12-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Why can't I click on this link? With a screen name like technrd you think you would have all the bugs worked out http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Well in any event welcome to the forum! See if you can make that link work, now I'm curious to see this thing.

2003 Yellow H2, Lux Series, Air Suspension, Front Brush Guard, Rear Tail Lamp Guards, Helo Maxx 8 Chrome Rims, MC2 Chrome Billet Locking Fuel Door, MC2 Chrome Hood Handles, MC2 Chrome Hood Latches, Chrome Billet Hummer Logo Hitch Step

Spike
12-10-2003, 12:34 PM
OK, my curiosity got the best of me and I typed in the link by hand to see it. Im not sure if I like it. It may take some getting used to. Im glad to see that it can be painted to match.

2003 Yellow H2, Lux Series, Air Suspension, Front Brush Guard, Rear Tail Lamp Guards, Helo Maxx 8 Chrome Rims, MC2 Chrome Billet Locking Fuel Door, MC2 Chrome Hood Handles, MC2 Chrome Hood Latches, Chrome Billet Hummer Logo Hitch Step

technrd
12-10-2003, 01:27 PM
I am sorry about the link problem, I guess my screen name really doesn't represent my computer ignorance. Funny, I can build anything out of almost any material, but for some reason really can't due a link for nothin...

I think this is going to be my solution, due to the garage height. I really need more lights....

HappyJack
12-10-2003, 01:39 PM
It is cool. If I had it I would make it pop up with a servo. And when it was down no one would know it was there.

They have an HID option, wonder how much that would cost.

Here is the link. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447561023)

Cheers

technrd
12-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Did anyone notice the, what looks like, a one piece front bumper? It appears that the ends did down further than the factory....

technrd
12-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Phil, please be honest, don't sugar coat it....
everyone's entitled to there own opinion, I was simply starting this thread to see if there is a solution to adding more lighting to the front of the vehicle without going to the roof,(serious height issues.) I would love to see another alternative.....any ideas???????

PARAGON
12-10-2003, 07:26 PM
I missed where this was lights. I just clicked on the link and thought it was a Missile Launch System.

Seriously though, you don't mount fog lights on the hood. If you need fogs, replace your DRL's with some fogs. Some on here have used fogs from Lincoln Navigator (I think) and I am replacing the DRL's with Cibie Tangos.

For more light, you could put a bracket from one of the Off-road mounts on the brush guard to the other and get 4 lights mounted on the grill guard instead of the standard 2.

technrd
12-10-2003, 08:20 PM
After talking to the manufacturer, I found that he has miss labeled his description. The actual model # of the lamps are the Hella 68137, low beam driving only. On the Hella site they also have a high beam and HiD version as well. I am really not interested in "bolting on" a few pairs of fog lamps to the OEM BS brush gaurd. I think it looks pretty intimidating, and I really don't think you would mistake a h2 with the lights for one without.....my .02$

Spike
12-10-2003, 09:14 PM
I think because that light setup is so new and so different Im having trouble getting used to it. I think an off road vehicle's lighting should be a roof light bar with a minimum of 4 spots. If thats not enough then few in the grill guard should do the trick.

Cranky Steve
12-10-2003, 09:15 PM
That setup would be Illeagal in California for sure. Not sure in other states.

Law in Cali is any lights mounted above the hood are off-road use only, and must be covered whan the vehical is on the road. Could be a 1/4 watt micro bulb and the law applies.

Not to mention how iritating that setup would be to the person in front of you if they were on .....

Founding Member of RCRC 4wd Club Scaramento, CA www.rcrc4x4.com (http://www.rcrc4x4.com)
Pirate4x4.com Vendor & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator

FrgMstr
12-10-2003, 10:08 PM
They would be illegal in Texas as well for driving purposes....

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com

KenP
12-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Too funky for me. Would not be legal here in VA. Need to cover the lights.

Black Lingenfelter Lux

unaslob
12-10-2003, 10:32 PM
from a distance it looks like a blower!!!

if lighting is the issue, I would look to remove the plastic dealies on the sides of the front bumper.. there are some great pics of those mounted. i will try to look around for them.

I never thought of adding more lights to the brushguard..anyone out there done that??? wondering what it looks like...

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

Cranky Steve
12-10-2003, 10:33 PM
I'm with Phill, decide what type of lighting you need a then locate the lights correctly. Those of us who do Rockcrawling mount lights under the rig to iluminate the areas directly around us so we can see where we are placeing our tires and so we don't blind our spotters.

If someone got behind me on the street with a set of 4 useless lights blinding me in my mirrors out comes the 1,000,000 CP handheld pointed backwards ....

Founding Member of RCRC 4wd Club Scaramento, CA www.rcrc4x4.com (http://www.rcrc4x4.com)

buddy
12-10-2003, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by buddy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PhilD:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by technrd:

You are correct, that was sugar coated. You asked for opinions, I gave one.

Darn Phil, you're too nice tonight. For some reason, I can't picture those on my truck..maybe they could mount them on a Jeep or a LR

buddy
12-10-2003, 10:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by technrd:

You are correct, that was sugar coated. You asked for opinions, I gave one.

Darn Phil, you're too nice tonight. For some reason, I can't picture those on my truck..maybe they could mount them on a Jeep or a LR<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

unaslob
12-10-2003, 10:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If someone got behind me on the street with a set of 4 useless lights blinding me in my mirrors out comes the 1,000,000 CP handheld pointed backwards ....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what do you have in the rear???

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

PARAGON
12-10-2003, 11:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cranky Steve:
....mount lights under the rig to iluminate the areas directly around us ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have thought about adding some lights underneath to illuminate when you open the doors so that I can see to avoid a mudhole or cowpie. What setup have you done for lights underneath?

Cranky Steve
12-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Just 6 of the cheepest ricer lights (the pia looking things, 55w ea) Kragen's had on sale and 2 tractor lights in the front tube bumper.

Wired to 2 switch operated relay circuits, 1 for the tracto lights, and the other for the underbody lights, not that fancy really.

One of the guys I know is going to use the ricer rope lights under the body. I think it will work well, and definitly be out of harms way

Centerfire
12-11-2003, 12:04 AM
1st let me say I love lights..you can't have too many ( if you've seen the post of my Sub you would understand).. However let me say that I do not care for the hood set up.. It just doesn't flow.. Looks like somesone went toth grade shop class and flipped his moms large dust pan over and shoved some lights in it...

Just ordered the Realwheels SS over the hood brush guard.. I will be adding 4 - 6 lights it it.. Nope the hood doesnt work for me.. But you got to go with what works for yo.

Mike

Karl
12-11-2003, 03:15 PM
That was the look we were going for. Too fast and too furious. This light hood kit was meant to be an extreme styling design.

We took this down to NYC the other day where they were shooting a rap video and the people there went berzerk over it.

Technically your right for true off road use it would be good to add the lights to the roof which we will be doing on my next modification.

The way I see it the more lights the better. This "is" a monster truck of course. And the lights are adjustable so we pointed them down 10 feet in front of the truck towards the ground so they are not blinding the guy in front of us.

This piece is just for fun just like the truck. Work hard and play hard.

Karl
Hi-Tech
www.HITECHCC.com (http://www.HITECHCC.com)

KenP
12-13-2003, 04:55 AM
Phil, I am with you. I cannot think of a time when a few critical comments were made about manufacturers product and they reacted this way.

I will keep an eye out for more for their products.

Black Lingenfelter Lux