PDA

View Full Version : Low fuel indicator??

Patrick
12-26-2002, 11:36 PM
How far does the gas needle go down and when does the low fuel indicator light come on? I have only had the truck for 400 miles and the fuel range has varied a lot over the first miles. I tried to run the tank down last time (the needle was on the last bar and the range said 23 miles) but when I filled it up it only took 25.4 gallons. It's suppose to hold 32 gallons if my memory serves me right. The light on the dash never came on and the message center never said anything? Oh well, any input would be appreciated. Also, The range is based on your recent miles per gallon average. What is the highest range after fill-up other forum members have noticed?

Patrick
12-26-2002, 11:36 PM
How far does the gas needle go down and when does the low fuel indicator light come on? I have only had the truck for 400 miles and the fuel range has varied a lot over the first miles. I tried to run the tank down last time (the needle was on the last bar and the range said 23 miles) but when I filled it up it only took 25.4 gallons. It's suppose to hold 32 gallons if my memory serves me right. The light on the dash never came on and the message center never said anything? Oh well, any input would be appreciated. Also, The range is based on your recent miles per gallon average. What is the highest range after fill-up other forum members have noticed?

Texas Red
12-27-2002, 12:31 AM
Same here on max fill-up being approx 26 gallons even though tank holds 32 gallons. But my fuel indicator comes on right as needle hits empty and range says about 40 miles to go. That's odd since there is still 6 gallons in the tank. That's also a surprisingly large hidden reserve.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

MAC
12-27-2002, 12:31 AM
There was quite a bit of discussion on this very subject on this forum way back, many members contributed their numbers. Everyone had similar experience, myself included, but there were times when I actually pumped so much gas when added with estimated fuel in Hummer, total came up to over 31 gallons.

I did find on several occasions, once the auto pump jumped, I kept on manually & slowly pump in gas, I added over 2 gallons after automatic pump will not pump.

Things sort of settle down, smooth and even out once you add some miles on your Hummer. MPG somewhat improves too.

HummerGirl
12-27-2002, 12:40 AM
On a recent fill up I put a little more until I heard that second "click" stating that I was about to over fill the beast. When I cranked up I also noticed that the range went to 400 miles.
(snicker, snicker...yeah I wish.)

But anyway my holiday running around is over and no more long trips coming up until the trek to the dealership (which is only an hour away), so I am hoping to actually keep the gas in this tank for more than a week.

But I did notice and so did my hubby that we are getting better and better gas mileage. Can't wait to see what happens when we change the oil and air filters.

Anyone noticed a difference with that air intake system? Thinking about getting it if it would help a little on the MPG. Wouldn't take long to pay itself off.

But getting back to topic, I have ran mine down to almost empty and have not gotten any messages yet either. I learned the hard way never to let the tank get down too low in my mercedes as I ran OUT! NEVER NEVER AGAIN.

HTH,

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page (http://home.earthlink.net/~thecelestialbath)

JJ
12-27-2002, 01:04 AM
I recall a post stating that an aftermarket air intake and exhaust system did NOT affect MPG but it did make the H2 sound "throatier"... I would expect perhaps a bit of an increase in low-end power but other than that, its a pipe dream. I think we're primarily limited by rear end ratio, weight, and the block on wheels aerodynamics. The diesel ought to be better on MPG, assuming there is such an option in the future.

JJ