http://www.ultimateflags.com/featured/featured_1.gif

SJ
02-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Here's the link to the story:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/02/27/pf/autos/bc.autos.gm.luxury.reut/index.htm

bklynh2srock
02-27-2003, 04:13 PM
I want to place a deposit now. Peter can drive the H3 every day and I'll take the H2. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Now THAT's a reason to move to the burbs!

Thanks for posting it, SJ!!

MBK
02-27-2003, 04:41 PM
I would be all over an H3. As much as I love the H2, I'm not able to afford one. The H3 would fall right in the sweetspot for a lot of buyers.

SJ
02-27-2003, 04:57 PM
I was originally against the idea of a H3 model. My fear being that GM might "water-down" the brand by virtue of overproduction and reduced capabilities (to justify a lower price point).

Now I think it's premature for me to form a solid opinion at this time, until I actually get a glimpse of the H3's mechanical features.

MAC
02-27-2003, 10:04 PM
SUT and H3 are no news, too bad no photo of H3. But this is the first time ever I heard about H4!

Devine reiterated that GM will launch a sport utility truck (SUT) version of the Hummer H2, which is due to go on sale in second quarter in 2004. Devine added; "We have something called the H3, which will be a downsized version of the H2, coming out shortly after that, and we're thinking, frankly, about an H4."
Mike DiGiovanni, the head of GM's Hummer division, told Reuters in an interview that the H3 has not yet been fully approved. "If all things remain equal, we don't have some negative economic downturn, I think John's comments are accurate; it will fall shortly after the SUT (H2 sport utility truck). It's proceeding very well."

"With H3, we expect to do over 100,000 units a year," DiGiovanni said. GM officials have said previously that the H3 could be priced starting in the $30,000 to $35,000 range.

He also confirmed that GM is studying building an H4. "At this point, it's a concept, it's an idea. we really have a ton of work to do to determine whether we can make a business case," he said.

SJ
02-27-2003, 10:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
SUT and H3 are no news, too bad no photo of H3. But this is the first time ever I heard about H4! ....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted this article, because it confirms that there will be an H3. Prior discussion of an H3 amounted to speculation.

True, the SUT has never been in doubt for production.

MAC
02-27-2003, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the post, always enjoy reading the links on Hummer news, interesting enough for me to paste a portion of the report here. Don't read my above brief comment in the negative, just friends talking, that was my conclusion from reading the report. The only NEW news is the H4, which is actually BIG NEWS, surprised no reaction from anyone. You would think everyone would get all excited, start guessing and rumors fly.

MAC
02-28-2003, 12:28 AM
I think the H3 drawing was a Popular Mechanics magazine drawing, not a factory drawing. Smaller H3 makes sense and sure to do well. How small can it get? Rav4 size? Whats the next smaller size after S10 frame? Sounds like a concept many years away. Hummer can certainly dominate each size category in a ten year plan.

SOCAL XMER
02-28-2003, 04:37 PM
That would be great if it looks anything like the pic I saw,The front looked like H! and the rest looked like H2. I would buy it in a heart beat!
I thought it looked cool. How ever the open top looked stupid to me.

future H2 or H3 owner

Mike97ZJ
02-28-2003, 09:20 PM
That Popular Mechanics drawing is the most hideous thing I've ever seen. What is it with GM designers these days??

It looks like an S10 sized version of what would happen if an H2 mated with an Avalanche.

Ewwwwwwwww. I shudder to even think about it.

SOCAL XMER
03-01-2003, 03:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike97ZJ:
That Popular Mechanics drawing is the most hideous thing I've ever seen. What is it with GM designers these days??

It looks like an S10 sized version of what would happen if an H2 mated with an Avalanche.

Ewwwwwwwww. I shudder to even think about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know wich pic you're talking about,the soft top and those stupid rear doors really suck.
I hope they buld the other version whih is a smaller H2 look with an H1 front end and featuring geared hubs at each wheel like the H1, now that would be too cool. The in line 6 engine would be a nice choice as well.

future H2 or H3 owner

Mike97ZJ
03-02-2003, 08:11 PM
I posted this before, but I'll post it again since it pertains to this topic.

My vision of the H3 is as follows:

Basically take the ZR2 package from the previous generation 2-door S-10 Blazer and graft it onto the current Trailblazer/Envoy platform. Add the 4.8 or (preferably) the 5.3L V8. Give it pushbutton front and rear lockers, rock rails, full skidplating, and 31x10.50 (MINIMUM!) Goodyear MTR's or BFG MT's. For the transfer case, the NV241OR 4:1 t-case from the Rubicon (lever actuated, of course), 4.10 gears in the axles (front and rear diffs from the K1500 pickup). I know a solid axle up front is WAY too much to ask for.

Also, 4 wheel disks, and t-case, tranny, and axle vents mounted high for a better fording depth. Front and rear tow points would be standard, with rear bumper mounted D-rings like the H2.

As far as bodywork, keep the short front and rear overhangs of the H2, but with a slightly less boxy appearance. I'd hate to see GM pull a Lincoln and make the H3 look like a shrunk down version of the H2, ala Lincoln Navigator and it's mini me, the Aviator.

Also, they'd sell a stripped down version, available with cloth or neoprene seats, with a rubber floor mat instead of carpeting.

If they produce somehting like THAT, I'll be first in line.

Probably what I want is too much to ask for though. I know it will be pushbutton 4wd, and probably not have the 4:1 low range, but instead the autotrac case or whatever it is that GM is putting in thier SUV's these days. Also, they're probably not going to want to sully the Hummer name by selling a stripped down version, so that probably won't happen either.

Zing
03-02-2003, 11:21 PM
I had heard the same about the H3 being made up of the S10 frame. Will likely be the size of a Trailblazer, and the H4, if made, would likely be the size of a Grand Cherokee.

I am against Hummmer moving towards these down sized versions and hope that they don't make it to market. See the previous thread on this. I think the H3 and H4 will dilute the Hummer brand, ultimately bad for the H1 and 2.

Mike97ZJ
03-03-2003, 01:44 AM
I don't think so. I think it will attract more customers to the brand. GM is in it to make money, so it's only common sense that they'll bring out less expensive models so that they can sell more of them. Plus, a smaller vehicle is good. Not everyone needs or wants a vehicle the size of the H2.

Look at BMW and Mercedes. They both have cars that sell for under 30k, and that doesn't seem to hurt thier prestige any. I think GM wants Hummer to be thier version of Chrysler's Jeep division, albeit more upscale.

I think the only way it will be bad is if GM makes the H3 into into a carbon copy of the H2, but smaller.

Oh, and what is the opinion of the H1 owners on this? Did they say the same thing when the H2 came out?

SOCAL XMER
03-03-2003, 03:33 AM
I really hope it looks like the one pic I saw it is a combination of the H1 and H2 with IFS and IRS and hub driven like the H1, that would be totally cool.
I really beleave GM wants to give Jeep a run for there Money.

future H2 or H3 owner

tonka61
03-23-2005, 10:19 PM
All that i can say is that if you look close at the photo galleries of the h3 you can see its too down sized and i have a problem with the back pasenger door fender areas it just dont look wright. also, why didn't they just go with a I6 engine.

PARAGON
03-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Dude, I have a problem with someone that attempts to stir crap in a thread that was last posted in over 2 years ago.

H3 Builder
03-27-2005, 03:05 PM
I have heard that the H4 is either on hold or scrapped because lack of funds. We'll find out.