PDA

View Full Version : rear axle seal

unaslob
12-07-2004, 10:37 PM
i recently took my h2 down for its service at around 27000 miles. (not its first) I also had one of the sideview mirrors replaced. they called me back and told me that I had a leak in my right rear axle seal, I was supposedly spraying oil everywhere... i did this at least since my last service call ~4500 miles ago.
1) how the hell did I do that
2) what kind of damage could this cause
3) is this a common problem dealer told me that they have seen this a couple of times

unaslob

unaslob
i recently took my h2 down for its service at around 27000 miles. (not its first) I also had one of the sideview mirrors replaced. they called me back and told me that I had a leak in my right rear axle seal, I was supposedly spraying oil everywhere... i did this at least since my last service call ~4500 miles ago.
3) is this a common problem dealer told me that they have seen this a couple of times

unaslob

unaslob

unaslob

unaslob
12-08-2004, 07:40 PM
well spraying was maybe a bit of a stretch.. after they fixed it.. i had the truck up on a lift to do some work on the air system when I went over to take a look at the right rear... there was grease all caked in the inside of the rim... probably at least a 2-3 inches in some places. when they fixed it they never bothered to clean the inside of the rim. It is clean now and that is what I am inspecting every week or so.

they did fix it under warranty...cost about 400 too.... glad it was.

unaslob

Patriot
12-10-2004, 10:59 AM
I've had mine done THREE times...get used to it.

Hummie2
12-10-2004, 05:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patriot:
I've had mine done THREE times...get used to it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check your vent tube for the axle and make sure it isn't kinked or plugged up with mud.

Patriot
12-10-2004, 05:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummie2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patriot:
I've had mine done THREE times...get used to it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check your vent tube for the axle and make sure it isn't kinked or plugged up with mud. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HA!!! You're funny!! You touched on ANOTHER problem I've been having with the propane SMELL from the vent tube you mention. It's definitly NOT plugged as can be smelt in my cabin!!

Do a search on this problem and the smell the "new" gear oil produces!

It just starts to go away (from burnoff) nad the seal will go again. New seal....new gearoil....smell comes back.

Hummie2
12-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Sounds like your repair guys should find and correct the REAL problems, not just replace the seal and call it fixed! Smell getting into the cabin is definitely bad as CO gets in also and you can't smell that. A plugged vent line was only a thought as it is oftentimes overlooked by many mechanics and will cause seals to fail again shortly. Ofcourse other more serious(expensive) mechanical problems will cause it too fail also.

Don't get used to it! RAISE HELL, because it isn't RIGHT!

Hummertech
12-10-2004, 08:47 PM
axle seals do leak from time to time on h2's. However it is by far not on the top of their list of common problems. I would estimate that less than 4% of the h2's that come into our dealership have had axle seals leaking. There is a bulletin out to correct the smell from the rear axle also. Ask your dealership about it if you're concerned.