PDA

View Full Version : full monitor where radio is

trashguy
11-10-2004, 12:34 AM
im about to install my flip out monitor from my old truck.id much rather prefer to put a full monitor where the radio is and a head unit where onstar is. i see a few of you have done this,has anyone done this themself ? im trying to figure what size monitor would fit best there?
id rather not see the monitor bezel,just have the dash piece over the screen, so as much of the screen as possible is visible.

trashguy
im about to install my flip out monitor from my old truck.id much rather prefer to put a full monitor where the radio is and a head unit where onstar is. i see a few of you have done this,has anyone done this themself ? im trying to figure what size monitor would fit best there?
id rather not see the monitor bezel,just have the dash piece over the screen, so as much of the screen as possible is visible.

trashguy

akakustom
11-18-2004, 12:27 AM
I did this install last year using a 10" monitor from Icon, relocated the climate controls and onstar to the overhead console

akakustom
11-18-2004, 12:30 AM
I used a 10" monitor from Icon and relocated climate control, onstar to overhead

akakustom
11-18-2004, 12:32 AM
sorry I screwed up and posted the same thing twice LOL

H2Finally
11-18-2004, 01:04 AM
WOW! How much do those custom pcs cost(without the monitor nor installation costs)?

Jimages
11-18-2004, 10:54 AM
akakustom - sweet install!!!

That's what I've been thinking of doing to my new SUT. Did you fabricate the consoles? If so, great job. Also, did you incorporate the steering wheel buttons to control your devices? What unit is under the display? Any suggestions or guidance on how you did this install would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

Jim

WhiteH2Kid
11-18-2004, 11:39 AM
I put a 7 inch screen where my Radio was and i put the headunit where my onstar is and had my onstar buttons custom cut into my panel near the steering wheel..It came out great and ill try to get pics.

akakustom
11-18-2004, 06:49 PM
to answer H2FINALLY IT WAS A ONE OFF PIECE THAT WAS PART OF A CUSTOM A/V JOB. TO ANSWER JIMAGES, I MADE THE SHROUD THAT HOUSES THE CLIMATE CONTROL AND CUT THE OVERHEAD USING A JIG FOR THE ONSTAR. THE RADIO IS AN ALPINE 7996 AM/FM DVD, AND FOR THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS I USED A PAC SWIX, BUT I'VE HEARD THAT SOUNDGATE HAS AN INTERFACE ALSO. I COULD BUILD ONE FOR ANYBODY THAT'S INTERESTED JUST HOLLER

ATSI
11-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Where did you get the extra cable to extend the onstar?

PS. Very Nice.

Jeff
05 Desert Tan SUT

Jimages
11-19-2004, 11:57 AM
akakustom - My compliments on your craftsmanship. Phenomenal job!!!

I wasn't real sure but do you have a computer controlling the screen or are you just using the output from the Alpine?

I have been researching and learning about the fabrication of the consoles but I may be interested in your offer to build one for me. Shoot me an email with your price - Jimages1@mchsi.com

Yes, Soundgate does offer an alternative to the PAC's
http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/sgtremote4.html

akakustom
11-23-2004, 02:58 AM
its just common automotive grade wire, alot of soldering and patience to match up each wire<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ATSI:
Where did you get the extra cable to extend the onstar?

PS. Very Nice.

Jeff
05 Desert Tan SUT <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GOT DIRT?
11-24-2004, 02:11 AM
Aka is it possible to get one of the custom pieces for the climate controls and screen from you and how much would it be my E-mail is Cbelys@aol.com

Andre
11-24-2004, 02:32 AM
i would be interested also.
mguil@ntl.sympatico.ca
Thanks

Jimages
11-26-2004, 11:18 AM
akakustom - it looks like you have something here! Have you had a chance to come up with pricing for the console(s)? Thanks

KustomZee
05-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Count me in , I am interested as well and maybe to buy quantity. good business for you buddy .

Shoot me an email aliz@urides.com

KustomZee
05-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I think if someone bundles the whole thing with the screen would do much better for us and for his business.

tower
05-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Wow!

Dear akakustom,

the shroud you have on the overhead console looks like it would fit my potted switch panel (lights, sirens, etc.) perfectly. Please let me know cost and any specs you have at:

theTower@SoCalNSP.org

Hell, I might go for the whole conversion. Let me know costs please.

DRTYF? (the imposter)
05-19-2005, 04:10 AM
Thats ok but I went with this.. Its alot better then some screen. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://www.eclipse-web.com/avx/images/2494_r2_c2.jpg http://www.eclipse-web.com/avx/avx2494.htm

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
05-20-2005, 02:54 AM
I'm having a system built with a 10.4" touchscreen monitor. It will I think remove radio completely from the loop. If it works the way i have seen it and understood it. Will run software that use H2 GPS for NAV and has XM located remotely. Well a bunch of other stuff. When We get it farther along hopefully will have more soon. Has a bunch of stuff it does. Will have oil pressure, water temp. and other vitals on touchscreen hopefully. Trying to swee how many things You can follow on the system. I'm asking about boost and other forced induction info at the finger tip. Fun to think about and hope it works. I know a 7" that is running now with allot of functions. I'm asking for a few more functions and a 10" screen. Do not really need it but, want it. It will look good for shows. I can set a program to run loop at show telling who the sponsors are and what kind of stuff I have in the Mall Gueen. Looking like it will be with a kit most could install or worst have a shop customize the center console and You have all the components matched up with software to work together. That way You would not have to go out and hunt down what will work together. Allot of stuff are not compatible. Hopeful can at least solve that part. Will look at having consoles premolded to just replace the factory console. No cutting and shaping. Hopeful just plug and play run a few wires. Same is trying to be done with HUD. Molded replacement for the panel over the gauge cluster that will have projector at proper angle and have HUD controls installed. Hoping to have the pins traced for the serial feed to build a plug that can be just connected after replacing factory cluster top.
Hoping it will all work. Doing 2 projects at once will slow it down a little but, just began to ask and look into the 10" touchscreen thing.
Well all that are interested will be informed as soon as we can.
TAZ