PDA

View Full Version : Install/Replace Fuel Filter

TroysH2
04-07-2004, 11:47 PM
Has anyone replaced their fuel filter. (ACDELCO Part #GF831).
It looks like a simple do-it-yourself job. Just 2 lines and the mounting bracket. Any special instructions?

thanks,
troy

TroysH2
It looks like a simple do-it-yourself job. Just 2 lines and the mounting bracket. Any special instructions?

thanks,
troy

TroysH2

thanks,
troy

PARAGON
04-07-2004, 11:57 PM
I paid $90 to have it done and most of it was the labor. I have no idea what or how they did it though.

PARAGON
04-08-2004, 12:01 AM
GM PART # 88983068
CATEGORY: Fuel Filters
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $27.79
OUR PRICE: $16.64

at GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm)

TroysH2
04-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the info "PARAGON".

ACDelco's website show's a GF831. Is this the same as GM Part #88983068. Their picture looks the same as the one on my H2.

I'm not trying to save the $90.00. I just can't stand the Hummer Service Dept.

thanks again!

TroysH2
04-08-2004, 12:29 AM
ACDelco website:

http://198.208.187.182/internet/PartImage.jsp?mfgname=ACDELCO&prodlinecd=47&acpartnbr=GF831

PARAGON
04-08-2004, 12:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TroysH2:
Thanks for the info "PARAGON".

ACDelco's website show's a GF831. Is this the same as GM Part #88983068. Their picture looks the same as the one on my H2.

I'm not trying to save the $90.00. I just can't stand the Hummer Service Dept.

thanks again! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The gm part number is the one that was on my invoice, I have no idea if they are the same. I can't imagine it being that big of deal to replace.

ssgharkness020147
04-08-2004, 05:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TroysH2:

thanks,
troy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wear chemical gogles, your going to gas all over yourself. Same goes for the clothing, dont wear anything that you're attached to. Fuel filters are real easy to replace just loosen the mounting bracket, disconnect the lines, and get the new filter on as fast as possible. When you attach the new filter attach the line that is coming from the gas tank first (it will slow the flow of fuel down).

Klaus
04-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Warning! GM says you must relieve the fuel system pressure first!

Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure
Tools Required
J 34730-1A Fuel Pressure Gage

Caution
Relieve the fuel system pressure before servicing fuel system components in order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury.

After relieving the system pressure, a small amount of fuel may be released when servicing the fuel lines or connections. In order to reduce the chance of personal injury, cover the regulator and the fuel line fittings with a shop towel before disconnecting. This will catch any fuel that may leak out. Place the towel in an approved container when the disconnection is complete.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable in order to avoid possible fuel discharge if an accidental attempt is made to start the engine. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical.

2. Remove the engine sight shield.

3. Loosen the fuel filler cap in order to relieve the fuel tank vapor pressure.

4. Connect the J 34730-1A to the fuel pressure valve. Wrap a shop towel around the fitting while connecting the gage in order to avoid spillage.

5. Install the bleed hose of the gage into an approved container.

6. Open the valve on the gage to bleed the system pressure. The fuel connections are now safe for servicing.

7. Drain any fuel remaining in the gage into an approved container.

To remove the filter:

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to the Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure Above.

2. Raise the vehicle.

3. Clean all the fuel filter connections and the surrounding areas before disconnecting the fuel pipes in order to avoid possible contamination of the fuel system.

4. Disconnect the quick connect fittings from the fuel filter.

5. Cap the fuel pipes in order to prevent possible fuel system contamination.

6. Remove the fuel filter bracket bolt.

7. Slide the fuel filter from the bracket.

8. Inspect the fuel pipe O-rings for cuts, nicks, swelling, or distortion. Replace the O-rings if necessary.

Fuel Filter Installation:

1. Slide the fuel filter into the bracket and install to the vehicle.

2. Install the fuel filter bracket bolt. Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

3. Remove the caps from the fuel pipes.

4. Connect the quick connect fittings (1, 2) to the fuel filter.

5. Lower the vehicle.

6. Tighten the fuel filler cap.

7. Connect the negative battery cable.

8. Use the following procedure in order to inspect for leaks:
A. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF, for 2 seconds.
B. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
C. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
D. Inspect for fuel leaks.

9. Install the engine sight shield.

DennisAJC
04-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Klaus,

You forgot...

8-E. Do not use a lighter when inspecting for leaks. Use a flash light! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Klaus
04-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Also, I should have added:

0. Take your truck in to be serviced. Fire is hazardous to life and property!

TroysH2
04-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Klaus,
thanks for the detailed info and the hazard notice. I agree, this is not worth doing-it-yourself because of the fuel/fire possibility.

thanks again,
troy

PARAGON
04-08-2004, 12:07 PM
On a side note, the dealer charged twice as much for the filter than the above gmpartsdirect price. I hope everything is not marked up 100% at the dealer.

TroysH2
04-08-2004, 02:37 PM
"PARAGON
Hummer Authority

posted 04-08-04 07:07 AM
On a side note, the dealer charged twice as much for the filter than the above gmpartsdirect price. I hope everything is not marked up 100% at the dealer."

It is marked up at least 100%. This filter is used on 27 General Motors vehicles. I guess that makes it rare!

Dealership parts price $33.28.

thanks again,
troy

TroysH2
04-10-2004, 02:42 AM
After some advice from a mechanic friend, I decided to replace the filter myself.

TOTAL TIME: Less than 3 minutes.
SPILLED FUEL: Maybe a tablespoon.