PDA

View Full Version : Just an update on my vibration problem..

OrangeCrush
11-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, this morning I took my front driveshaft out and took it to a friend of mine who owns a driveline service. He pulled the CV joint out and put it on his balancer. It was WAAAAY out. The way it's basically set up is it's a lathe with a needle bearing that each end rides on. There is a dial indicator of some sort that measures distortion. (vibration or distance moved???)

Anyway, he ground off the weights and installed new ones. He wasn't happy with the moveability of the ujoint neither so he replaced it also.

I put the "new" driveshaft on and the vibration was still there.

There is no shaking or movement at the CV end of the driveshaft that I had noticed last night.

I did notice however that the pinion angle from the diff to the driveshaft and from the transfer case to the driveshaft didn't look equal.

I removed a spacer/washer under the front diff and took it for a ride. Though the spacer was only 1/8", it seemed to help.

Tomorrow I will attempt to make the pinion angles closer and see if that cures my vibration problem.

Mark

OrangeCrush
11-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, this morning I took my front driveshaft out and took it to a friend of mine who owns a driveline service. He pulled the CV joint out and put it on his balancer. It was WAAAAY out. The way it's basically set up is it's a lathe with a needle bearing that each end rides on. There is a dial indicator of some sort that measures distortion. (vibration or distance moved???)

Anyway, he ground off the weights and installed new ones. He wasn't happy with the moveability of the ujoint neither so he replaced it also.

I put the "new" driveshaft on and the vibration was still there.

There is no shaking or movement at the CV end of the driveshaft that I had noticed last night.

I did notice however that the pinion angle from the diff to the driveshaft and from the transfer case to the driveshaft didn't look equal.

I removed a spacer/washer under the front diff and took it for a ride. Though the spacer was only 1/8", it seemed to help.

Tomorrow I will attempt to make the pinion angles closer and see if that cures my vibration problem.

Mark

NoMoGMPG
11-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Do you have a suspension lift? If so, you probably hit the problem, excessive pinion angle.

OrangeCrush
11-29-2005, 10:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GMPartsGuy:
Do you have a suspension lift? If so, you probably hit the problem, excessive pinion angle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say you're about right... except too little pinion angle.

One side of the shaft is almost parallel with zero angle and the other side has minimal angle.

I dropped the rear diff about 1/4" to give it a tiny bit of angle but it's not enough.

I need to have it checked out still... I'm running out of choices.

Mark

PS. Has anyone ever had a vibration in the chassis from tires out of balance but not feel anything in the steering wheel?