Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Air Conditioning Cabin Filter (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685)

TBarrow 07-07-2004 02:05 AM

I just found out and do not remember any discussions about the cabin filter. I have 62,XXX miles now and just changed it. I will post pictures soon but it was packed with dust, leaves, pine needles, etc. I paid 37.00 for the filter at the dealer and installed it myself it was 2- 7mm screws holding the cover and 2 - 8mm screws holding the plate that secures the filter. By the way they A/C works great now.

I just found out and do not remember any discussions about the cabin filter. I have 62,XXX miles now and just changed it. I will post pictures soon but it was packed with dust, leaves, pine needles, etc. I paid 37.00 for the filter at the dealer and installed it myself it was 2- 7mm screws holding the cover and 2 - 8mm screws holding the plate that secures the filter. By the way they A/C works great now.

Hummer Man 07-07-2004 10:27 AM

Does anyone have over 100,000 miles yet??

Circuitguy 07-07-2004 11:32 AM

Can you post the GM part number for the filter? BIG-C

TBarrow 07-07-2004 01:46 PM

The part number is 88986533

CJ 07-10-2004 04:16 AM

Please post the pics. My dealer could not find the cabin filter when I wanted it replaced.Wacky but true. (last year, thread on hepa filter)thanks

Circuitguy 07-10-2004 04:31 AM

Thank you!!! BIG-C

Kevin B 07-10-2004 01:42 PM

Thanks for the topic, and please post pictures of filter and filter location.

TBarrow 07-10-2004 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the filter

TBarrow 07-10-2004 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Close up, The picture does not give the total effect. It was clogged rather well and now the A/C works much better.

TBarrow 07-10-2004 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Passenger area below Glove compartment is where it is located. You need to remove the black cover with 2-7mm bolts.

TBarrow 07-10-2004 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The filter is located inside the door with the yellow stripe on it. There is an 8mm bolt at the front and follow the door down and another 8mm bolt to the right. remove these and the door does not come off but pivots down and you slide the filter out. Hope this helps all as I was amazed that no one knew about this from a dealers stand point. BIG-C I doubled checked my part number but still comfirm it with your dealer

Kevin B 07-10-2004 09:13 PM

Many, Many thanks T. Good pics and write up. Man, that thing was PLUGGED. I see you guys even have big dust spores in Texas .

tourtek 07-13-2004 11:19 PM

I have a early 2003 and just checked the location shown and found there to be no filter. There is also no access door where it is shown to be. It is sealed shut with plastic studs where the screws to the door are shown to be. Anybody else pulled of the cover and discovered this? I also have 2003 service manuals and found no reference to the "cabin filter". This must have been on later models or on only some.

TBarrow 07-13-2004 11:58 PM

Mine is a July 02' Delivery and number 450 off the assembly line. The dealer did not know it was there either until we looked for it.

Circuitguy 07-14-2004 01:25 AM

U da man T! BIG-C

tourtek 07-14-2004 05:09 PM

Mine was also a July 02 delivery, and I can tell you after looking twice down there, that there is no access door for a filter. The whole area is sealed closed. You can see where the screws that would have released the filter door should have gone, but there are just empty holes. There is also no vent area on the bottom as shown in the photo, just solid plastic. I can tell you that if mine had a filter there would likely be NO AIR coming through the AC at this point. I have run this truck through the many miles of silt beds in Baja and the Nevada desert, pre-running the race courses. I have also had the entire cab filled with silt and sand upon dropping into one of these silt bed/"tank traps" at excessive speed having failed to put the system back on recirculate after shutting down the engine. This would indicate to me that, at least , my rig has no filter. There are some guys who check out this site periodically, who could solve this mystery once and for all, if they choose. I'll leave that up to them to respond. A re-usable, readily accessible, easily cleaned, cabin filter would be a great addition to the H2 in my opinion. Any way to keep all the crap from blowing out of the duct work into yer face when you go from recirculate back to normal HVAC mode would be an great improvement.

P.S. Does anyone know of someone who makes a HEAVY DUTY FRONT SKID PLATE for the H2? I have been through 3 stock ones so far and am looking for one of at least twice the stock thickness and of solid construction, no ladder type. I'll post this as a seperate thread also. Thanks

Dan 07-14-2004 06:45 PM

Thanks for that, good to know!

I think I see a potato growing under one of those fingernails.

Easy Ed 07-14-2004 10:26 PM

No got :-(

P.S. Nothing in the 2003 service manual either.