Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rancho Steering Stablizer (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39936)

Hellz 08-02-2010 03:59 PM

Rancho Steering Stablizer

just wanted to give some info about this install.

this is braindead stupid easy install.

i removed the front Skidplate.
unbolted the old steering stablizer.
bottom part was easy to remove
top part took some love taps with a hammer, but a few good taps and it popped right out.

the Rancho shock went right in. no special bracket, just used same holes.
i spent more time on hooking up the bootom part due to the rubber gromets being new and all. so the fit was a little tight, but it eventually fit in there and all bolted up.

honestly, i was expecting something a little firmer. i could compress the rancho shock by hand..

overall, i "think" i have noticed some difference in driving.

SteelsH2 08-02-2010 11:51 PM

Re: Rancho Steering Stablizer

Hi Hellz, Were you able to compress the stock stablizer with the same force?

Hellz 08-03-2010 01:39 AM

i thought about doign that, i just havent actually done it..

i still have it around tho so ill let ya know

seventwozero 08-03-2010 05:36 AM

I did the Rancho stabilizer and Cognito support at the same time, definatly noticed a difference in the steering, much tighter and I can feel less play in the wheel over rough surfaces.

Scarsman 08-10-2010 05:05 AM

Did you notice an improvement over stock? Was your stock one shot? I have been noticing at certain speeds sometimes I feel the steering wheel turning back and forth slightly. I am guessing it may be time for a new stabilizer. Either that or it is one of my tires being out of round. I know one of them is because I saw it spinning on the balancer and it had a hop to it. I think it ended up on the front with the rotate.

Hellz 08-10-2010 01:46 PM

i woudl like to think that i noticed a difference with the stablizer on.
i did get some wandering before with the old one, and now that seems to have disappeared, but i have also added some Fabtech HD tierods to the mix. so that may have something to do with it too.

i dont think my old one was completly shot, but with the 37 inch tires, i think it was too much for it.

Hummeron37s 08-11-2010 03:48 AM

I replaced my stablizer with a Fabtech made for a lifted H2 because I have a Rancho 4" lift. The Fabtech was much stronger then stock. I also had play in the steering but it was due to the idler and pitman arms being bad. Check you Idler and Pitman arms they go all the time on the H2 because of the design and weight of the truck.

Bimmer9938 09-06-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

I also had play in the steering but it was due to the idler and pitman arms being bad.

I found these were bad on mine too, and I never take mine off road, do these fail easily? I had them replaced with "heavy duty ones" @ 4 wheel parts.