Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H1 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   H1 fuel filter replacement (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35162)

familyguy 08-22-2008 05:59 PM

H1 fuel filter replacement

I'm new to Hummer ownership, I just bought a 2000 H1 softop about 2.5 months ago. I can't resist sidetracking for a minute.....for the past two months, I have been on an around the country camping trip with my 3 boys and wife, where I pulled my restored Airstream travel trailer through 28 states and about 10k miles. We had a fantastic time, was able to experience tons of national parks and classic tourist sites of our great county, and going that far in a H1 while pulling the trailer went much better than expected.

My question is in regard to the fuel filter...I scanned the old threads and could not find this topic, sorry if I'm repeating a previous question. I completed most of the 12k service items prior to leaving on the trip and had an A level service done at about the midpoint of the trip. One item I did not complete was changing the fuel filter because I have heard horror stories about this and was not able to find much documentation on how to do it. ( I purchased the factory service manual on CD ) Could anyone point me to documentation on the correct procedure for changing the fuel filter? Thanks in advance!

Planohummer 08-22-2008 06:08 PM

Re: H1 fuel filter replacement

The horror stories center around a lift pump that wasn't working and thus wouldn't re-prime the filter after replaced(truck will run without pump working, just won't have full power under load).
EZ way to check the lift pump:
open pitcock driver side(has a rollpin through brass tee), turn on key and see if fuel runs out fuel line hanging down. If not, don't replace filter until lift pump is replaced.
After you replace the filter, re-prime by opening same pitcock, turn key to on, and letting air out, then opening plastic knob on filter housing slightly-tighten when straight fuel comes out.

lvs 08-24-2008 01:17 AM

http://www.flashoffroad.com/Diesel/F...angefilter.htm

Lining up the new filter is the tricky part. Mark it on the side so you can see it when you are putting it in.

HummerJim 08-26-2008 01:49 PM

That sounds like a lot of fun! I did a road trip up into the Yukon with my Hummer & family and it still remains my favorite vacation. Could you post a picture of your soft top with the Air Stream?

audiofetish 08-26-2008 03:12 PM

You dont need to do all of that extra stuff. The fuel filter can be replaced without moving anything on a 2000. Just take the old filter out put the new one in and open the vent on the top of the filter. Turn the key to the "on position" but don't start it (you need to hear the lift pump). When you see fuel coming out the top close the vent. Thats it! Takes about 5 minutes tops!!!!!!!

familyguy 08-27-2008 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the inputs, very much appreciated.

Per request I'm uploading a picture of the H1 towing the Airstream, taken at the continental divide in Wyoming.

As a side note this trip taught me that there are two groups of people in the U.S. Those that came up to me to talk about the Hummer, and those that came up to me to talk about the Airstream.

audiofetish 08-27-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by familyguy
Thanks for the inputs, very much appreciated.

Per request I'm uploading a picture of the H1 towing the Airstream, taken at the continental divide in Wyoming.

As a side note this trip taught me that there are two groups of people in the U.S. Those that came up to me to talk about the Hummer, and those that came up to me to talk about the Airstream.

AWESOME!!!! I need to get one of those!!!!

ssgharkness020147 08-28-2008 04:52 AM

Welcome. Just make sure you dont act like the last guy with an Airstream. ;) Hi 007 :OWNED: .

HummerJim 08-28-2008 03:37 PM

THANKS FOR THE POST! What an AWESOME picture! Now I've to the bug to hit the road with my H2 and do a road trip to Canada before it gets too cold. A friend tells me the leaves are turning on the trees earlier than ever in the Yukon.