Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear Camera Advice (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43434)

SMITH23H2SUT 03-18-2013 04:40 PM

Rear Camera Advice

I was wondering how many of you have installed an aftermarket rear camera and what is the best location for mounting it. Kenwood CMOS 310 is the camera I'll be mounting and it will be installed on a SUT with spare tire carrier.

Egan 03-18-2013 08:14 PM

Re: Rear Camera Advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMITH23H2SUT
I was wondering how many of you have installed an aftermarket rear camera and what is the best location for mounting it. Kenwood CMOS 310 is the camera I'll be mounting and it will be installed on a SUT with spare tire carrier.

I have a Kenwood CCD-2000 and I mounted it on the top side of the trailer hitch receiver. I can see the top of the hitch ball and the bottom of my spare, but 85%+ of the image is unobstructed. It works great for both backing out of the driveway and hooking up the boat trailer.

STL Zombie Hunter 03-18-2013 08:30 PM

I mounted mine just above my license plate. But I am putting on a rear swing-arm tire carrier, so now I have to move it again.
I'm thinking about mounting it higher, like up near the 3rd brake to get a full view of the rear.

guruerror 03-19-2013 12:34 AM

To hell with cameras...cameras are for Escalades. Just put a PA speaker in the rear and yell, "MOVE YOUR A55!" whenever you shift it into Reverse. LOL

Egan 03-19-2013 03:45 PM

Here's my view. I have backup lights on the top of my SUT rack which is why it looks so bright against the wall. This is at 6AM so it's still dark outside. If I keep the spare mount (contemplating removing it), I'm going to raise it by 6" or so.

STL Zombie Hunter 03-19-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egan
If I keep the spare mount (contemplating removing it), I'm going to raise it by 6" or so.

If you decide to remove it, please let me know. I just got scammed by a guy on CL 'selling' his and I still need one.

SMITH23H2SUT 03-20-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Here's my view. I have backup lights on the top of my SUT rack which is why it looks so bright against the wall. This is at 6AM so it's still dark outside. If I keep the spare mount (contemplating removing it), I'm going to raise it by 6" or so.

Thanks for the pic and idea, I think it defeats the purpose of having a back-up camera though when 50% of the view is blocked. Hitch and tire is blocking to much of your view. I was thinking of installing it under the license plate, hidden inside the bottom of holder on the spare tire carrier. If i drill a hole in it I might be able to get the lens flush with it. I was also thinking of installing it up near the third brake light also until it dawned on me that the bed and tonneau cover would be blocking the view of me slamming into someones grill when backing into a parking space or hitting a wall when backing up.

H2FAR 03-20-2013 11:21 PM

I bought mine from an outfit in Colorado who had what thy said was the factory setup with image in rear view mirror and camera mount in exactly the same as factory in the rear. It activates when the truck is in reverse and the image is great especially for lining up a hitch. I'll get the name of the place for you tomorrow unless someone else knows what I am talking about and can chime in. Also got the factory rear dvd headrest setup from them really cheap.

SMITH23H2SUT 07-26-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

I was actually thinking of this set-up, but want a 100% unobstructed view. Just got the CMOS 310 in the mail, and can't wait to install it. I was thinking of installing it dead center underneath the license plate in the black plastic part of the license plate holder of the swing away tire carrier. Still looking for ideas.

SMITH23H2SUT 07-26-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2FAR
I bought mine from an outfit in Colorado who had what thy said was the factory setup with image in rear view mirror and camera mount in exactly the same as factory in the rear. It activates when the truck is in reverse and the image is great especially for lining up a hitch. I'll get the name of the place for you tomorrow unless someone else knows what I am talking about and can chime in. Also got the factory rear dvd headrest setup from them really cheap.

Yeah, lining up the trailer hitch with my jet skis trailer is a B#@$%. That was a major influence on my investment of $350 for this camera. I just want to do it right the first time as far as the install. I also want it to look good to the future buyers of my truck when it's time to get rid of it.

guruerror 07-26-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMITH23H2SUT
Yeah, lining up the trailer hitch with my jet skis trailer is a B#@$%. That was a major influence on my investment of $350 for this camera. I just want to do it right the first time as far as the install. I also want it to look good to the future buyers of my truck when it's time to get rid of it.

...that last bit was garbled and didn't make sense? What does 'time to get rid of it' mean?

SMITH23H2SUT 07-27-2013 02:00 PM

SAHHHHHWEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: