Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   2008 H3 V8 will by a Plug in Electric Hybrid! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25862)

Dave LV 04-02-2007 03:29 AM

2008 H3 V8 will by a Plug in Electric Hybrid!

April Fools.........

RazM 04-02-2007 03:34 AM

Re: 2008 H3 V8 will by a Plug in Electric Hybrid!

but it's true...

f5fstop 04-02-2007 10:26 PM

Not a plug in...but maybe there will be a hybrid....:jump:

gc2488 04-03-2007 04:19 PM

Great!

Just for the management and design engineer decision makers, note that the plug-in feature of hybrid cars is the feature that I am waiting for!

I'd really like to be able to plug in a vehicle and use electric power only for some time before I start to use gasoline. During the time it runs on electric power, it would be nice and quiet like a golf cart, too -- bonus. The nice rubber seals on the H3 help make it quiet riding and that's one of the features that caused me to buy the H3 in the first place.

Best Regards, all, and thanks for the posts, f5fstop, hope that springtime in Shreveport is nice if that's where you are!

DRTYFN 04-03-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

2008 H3 V8 will by a Plug in Electric Hybrid!

Might have had a chance of being funny IF it had made any kind of sense.

NEOCON1 04-03-2007 04:55 PM

oh man , and i was gettin ready to buy a truck load of extension cords :mad: :mad: :mad: :giggling:

Steve - SanJose 04-03-2007 05:24 PM

New option winch/extention cord.

HummBebe 04-03-2007 06:30 PM

:yawn:

gc2488 04-03-2007 08:14 PM

Yes, the "hybrid" part of plug-in hybrid is what makes long extension cords unnecessary. You can run off gasoline just like current hybrids whenever you feel like it. I could envision a docking station in my garage that would make it trivial/automatic to plug in the vehicle to top-off the battery pack. And, Hummer designs could carry big battery packs.

Unfortunately the coming plug-in hybrid SUV model that GM CEO Rick Wagoner mentioned specifically is a Saturn VUE, not a Hummer. Hopefully a plug-in hybrid Hummer will follow. Reference:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...c-saturn_x.htm

Not sure if I'd be interested in the plug-in hybrid Saturn VUE.

Rock crawling on electric power would be super fun and quiet. Stealth mode...

Fun stuff.

f5fstop 04-03-2007 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOCON1
oh man , and i was gettin ready to buy a truck load of extension cords :mad: :mad: :mad: :giggling:

No need for extension cords. Just tow a trailer with a generator. Course you will have to stop every 300 miles to fill up the generator, but the H3 will be a hybrid.:dancingbanana:

(Actually, when I was on the EV1 project, we actually had a future customer call and wanted to know the towing capacity of the EV1. When asked why, he stated he was going to tow a trailer with a generator so he could drive further than 100-150 miles.)

H3.007 04-04-2007 01:28 PM

Tell these "generator heads" to just put the generator on one of those hitch racks they sell. Problem solved unless they need to open the gate :jump:

gc2488 04-04-2007 05:45 PM

Yes, electric generators and motors are very cool. The motors in hybrid vehicles are used as generators. Quite strong, too, like in diesel/electric train locomotives. Of course, in good hybrid designs like the Toyota Synergy Drive, the gasoline combustion motor turns a planetary gear link, so it can either generate electricity or contribute torque directly to the driveline. So, both the electric motors and gasoline engine join together to produce maximum torque when needed. The Highlander all-wheel drive hybrid has 3 electric motors. But, the Highlander is not cool and not designed for off-road use and that's why a plug-in hybrid Hummer is really needed. GM needs big improvements like this in order to catch up and surpass Toyota and make a good profit.

Maybe I can look up torque figures for electric motors and post them, I should do that...

That's funny about the EV1 and the customer's desire to tow a generator, f5fstop! A primitive and inefficient hybrid...