Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Deleted threads... (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43974)

OrangeCrush 05-29-2013 11:37 AM

Deleted threads...

Guys,

I've been deleting threads every few hours and when I wake up. There is no way I can ban each member so for now I can only physically remove the threads.

The reason I made this post is I am apologizing in advance if any of your t threads get deleted. I try to only click on spam but I'm sure somewhere there will be a thread lost.

My apologies if it does happen.

Mark

HummerJim 05-29-2013 01:03 PM

Re: Deleted threads...

Banned 42 spammers and removed 22 threads this morning. Most are coming from IP address 117.26.227.84, which is in Xiamen, China. Just deleted my hundredth spam post and it must be computer generated because new ones keep popping up from new unbanned spammers.......make that 459 posts and another 68 spammers removed and counting.........Jason needs to shut down the new membership for a while......

Rico001 05-30-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Guys,

I've been deleting threads every few hours and when I wake up. There is no way I can ban each member so for now I can only physically remove the threads.

The reason I made this post is I am apologizing in advance if any of your t threads get deleted. I try to only click on spam but I'm sure somewhere there will be a thread lost.

My apologies if it does happen.

Mark

Thanks for all the hard work and BS you are going through,,, but I have a question about how the spammers are becoming members at all.

Why not have a process that a new member has to be a friend or someone knows them.
Maybe they need a picture or resume,,, just my thoughts~Richard:twak:

OrangeCrush 05-30-2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico001
Thanks for all the hard work and BS you are going through,,, but I have a question about how the spammers are becoming members at all.

Why not have a process that a new member has to be a friend or someone knows them.
Maybe they need a picture or resume,,, just my thoughts~Richard:twak:

Though I appreciate it, it's not just me. I'm not the only mod working hard to remove them. I've been banning and removing threads as much as possible.

The pain i the ass part is once we click on find all posts by a certain member, you have to click on each individual post and then delete 25 at a time.

If Jason would change our abilities, we could probably remove the member and all posts in one fell swoop.

We'll just keep cleaning it up as best as we can.

Mark

OrangeCrush 05-30-2013 04:09 AM

Okay, going to bed... spent the last 3 hours doing nothing but deleting posts. Someone has been banning them so I'm just cleaning up the residue.

Night all.....

Mark

HummerJim 05-30-2013 12:54 PM

Good Job Mark! They were active overnight - another 200+ banned and another 300+ posts deleted this morning. My favorite spam was "nothing says Father's Day better than a Gucci handbag." LOL We need some relief from these spambots from Jason!

jsbihn 05-31-2013 01:11 PM

Good work to all the mods

If you need another trooper for the cause... let me know

fyr145 05-31-2013 01:54 PM

Count me in!!!! I'm ready to help out if needed. I did ask awhile back when I first got here but never heard back from Jason.

I have moderator and SuperModerartor level experience from another website that dealt with Toyotas.

Jason 06-04-2013 03:42 PM

First off, thanks to everyone who helps out - especially you guys that are doing daily clean ups.

I obviously don't spend a whole lot of time around here, and without you guys the site would be crap, so again, THANK YOU!

I am trying to figure out how these "spambots" can still post. It just does not make any sense. I manually approve all members, 99.99% of which do not get approved. Further, all of the settings that I am aware of do not allow anyone to post except for registered members.

I am thoroughly confused! I will keep looking into it...

Anyone else who wants to assist in maintaining the site, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate all assistance.

You guys are the best!

Regards,
Jason

Jason 06-04-2013 03:58 PM

For now, I have turned off the option to allow for new members to register.

If you would like to join the site, please bear with me for the near future. I will continue to try to figure this out.

- Jason

iwillnc 06-05-2013 02:17 AM

I would love to be able to help, I plan on owning my truck for the long haul, so I'll be here often.

fyr145 06-05-2013 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason
............Anyone else who wants to assist in maintaining the site, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate all assistance.
Regards,
Jason

Jason,

I would like the chance to help you out here. As I stated before, I have moderator experience from another website and can be a good asset for your staff. (references are available).

Lon

wasp1971 06-07-2013 03:37 AM

I'd love to help but I can hardly post a picture much less moderate a forum. Thanks and good luck to all that do though.

guruerror 06-07-2013 02:14 PM

Jason...perhaps it's time to move to a newer version of vBulletin? I've been doing a bit of research on version 3.0.7 and it seems to have several identified security vulnerabilities which allow SQL injection and code execution. This may be being exploited by these spammers to create new user accounts and subsequent threads:

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...tin-3.0.7.html

Also, in talking with users who are also on other forums, I've hearing that they traffic Elcova less frequently because it's not mobile device-friendly. The newer versions vBulletin would bring that functionality to the forum.

iwillnc 06-07-2013 07:25 PM

I strongly disagree on the mobile format
I'm typing this from my iPhone.
Elcova site is without a doubt one of the best formats for mobile, much better than any other forum I've used( quite a few).

guruerror 06-07-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwillnc
I strongly disagree on the mobile format
I'm typing this from my iPhone.
Elcova site is without a doubt one of the best formats for mobile, much better than any other forum I've used( quite a few).

Well, technically there is a lack of mobile format...mobile devices show the site just as a desktop would...which is fine by me too. What I'm hearing is that many users would prefer a newer version of vBulletin that would be compatible with apps like ForumRunner.

DRTYFN 06-12-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason
For now, I have turned off the option to allow for new members to register.

If you would like to join the site, please bear with me for the near future. I will continue to try to figure this out.

- Jason

Allow them to register, but make them wait for authorization. Jeez. :fdance:

jsbihn 06-13-2013 11:30 AM

I will agree with "the guru"
I have a Samsung Note.
Its a big azz phone running android, but if I go online to access this Hummer website everything on the left of my screen (which is the forum jump bar for all the Hummer sources and all the advertising) comes up first then after I scroll down a mile or two I realized that there is the actual forum. Too me a LONG time to realize i had to scroll down a mile or two to get to the actual page. I just assumed that the page had trouble loading up. Given if I pull up any of my other forums on my phone, they come up perfect (corvette forum, m3 forum, 6speedonline forum, ls1 forum... etc)
So I think it might be the format
Just my humble opinion

:D

HummerJim 06-13-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRTYFN
Allow them to register, but make them wait for authorization. Jeez. :fdance:

They've hacked the system and can register and authorize themselves without any input from Jason.

H2Much 06-17-2013 03:38 AM

That sucks. I personally would love to be on a forum, if possible this one, where there would be an application process to become a member. That way Hummer owners could be vetted and processed by some sort of validation process and we could become a much tighter, trusted community. I personally trust some people on here than people I actually know just from their help and advice on problems I have had. Anything we could do to lock this down and make it invite only or have an application process would be great- I guess the challenge now would be trying to lock it down.

Let me know if you are having problems doing this, I may know some people and resources in the industry that might be able to help.