Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   grease fittings location (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37851)

numberoneolddiver 07-10-2009 04:12 AM

grease fittings location

threr was a posting some time ago about the number and location of all the grease zerks. I had my h2 in for servicing and they only found 6 fittings this is a 2005 hummer any suggestions,are there more than this?:confused:

Luv2Camp 08-26-2009 11:19 PM

Re: grease fittings location

here is the link

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30787

Easy Ed 08-27-2009 01:51 AM

I'll try to post all eleven of them in larger pics versus the old one I did. Hope it helps better before.

Ed

Attachment 51403

Attachment 51404

Attachment 51405

Attachment 51406

Attachment 51407

Attachment 51408

Attachment 51409

Attachment 51410

Attachment 51411

Attachment 51412

Attachment 51413

lvmyhmr 09-01-2009 12:36 AM

Great pictures! Just goes to show you you can not trust a grease monkey! My H2 has 90K on it and the upper idler (the one in the mirror in your pic) had never been greased. It was replaced at 50K under warranty. I changed it to a 90 degree zerk and am greasing it myself from now on. They have to take the skid pan off to get at this one and that is how they stripped the threads out of the frame with their air gun! The torque on the UCP is only 22 ftlbs according to the service manual.......that is not an impact gun torque.
Thanks for posting again. Bet I am not the only guy in this position!

Humvee21 04-06-2015 02:06 PM

Excellent thread. I just got to these this weekend, but I wasn't able to figure out how on earth one can get to the one on the upper idler arm. I guess you have to unbolt it to access it? Will change it to a 90 deg zerk then.

Easy Ed 04-07-2015 12:24 AM

These were to be changed out to 90 degree ones by the dealership on the early models when they came in for lube and oil change. I just went ahead and did it myself by un-bolting it and putting a 45 degree in (seen in the picture) since I was doing all my own work on ours.

Good luck, Ed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humvee21
Excellent thread. I just got to these this weekend, but I wasn't able to figure out how on earth one can get to the one on the upper idler arm. I guess you have to unbolt it to access it? Will change it to a 90 deg zerk then.

Humvee21 04-07-2015 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Ed
These were to be changed out to 90 degree ones by the dealership on the early models when they came in for lube and oil change. I just went ahead and did it myself by un-bolting it and putting a 45 degree in (seen in the picture) since I was doing all my own work on ours.

Good luck, Ed

Interesting. The H2 was serviced by the dealership since new up until about 60k miles. I'm not surprised they didn't change it. I haven't had a good dealership experience yet.

Do you remember the thread size for the replacement? I'm guessing 1/4"? Thanks!

Easy Ed 04-07-2015 11:21 AM

Looked in the garage "automotive junk drawer" (I never throw anything away that I think I may need) and did find a straight out zerk that has a tapered 1/4-28 thread. I would say that would be the correct size.

Good luck, Ed

EDIT: Would need H-109-A

http://www.saeproducts.com/taper-thr...-fittings.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humvee21
Interesting. The H2 was serviced by the dealership since new up until about 60k miles. I'm not surprised they didn't change it. I haven't had a good dealership experience yet.

Do you remember the thread size for the replacement? I'm guessing 1/4"? Thanks!

Humvee21 04-07-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Ed
Looked in the garage "automotive junk drawer" (I never throw anything away that I think I may need) and did find a straight out zerk that has a tapered 1/4-28 thread. I would say that would be the correct size.

Good luck, Ed

EDIT: Would need H-109-A

http://www.saeproducts.com/taper-thr...-fittings.html

Thanks Ed!

HUMTECH 04-08-2015 12:31 AM

The idler arm on the HUMMER H2 has a grease fitting near the top end of the shaft facing the right-hand frame rail. Access to this fitting is very limited and may be accomplished, although not easily, with the use of a 90? grease gun adapter. However, to assure an adequate lubrication at each maintenance interval, it is recommended that the grease fitting be replaced with a 90? style fitting, P/N 09417903, pointing upward.

HUMTECH 04-08-2015 12:33 AM

That's the gm bulletin, not a mandatory replacement but a recommended one. I do believe if my memory serves that it was a customer pay item as well.

Easy Ed 04-08-2015 12:46 AM

oops, my bad ;-) Thanks HUMTECH

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
That's the gm bulletin, not a mandatory replacement but a recommended one. I do believe if my memory serves that it was a customer pay item as well.

Humvee21 04-08-2015 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks ya'll. I was able to find the TSB. Seems like the GM P/N for the grease fitting is no longer available or the ones that I have found with that P/N are $30 and above. Not paying that price for a grease fitting. I ordered the one Ed posted above.

Humvee21 04-09-2015 06:53 PM

Got the grease fitting today. Would ya'll recommend any loctite on the threads? Should I be worried that the fitting won't be sealed?

HUMTECH 04-09-2015 07:55 PM

No Loctite, jst screw it in snug they can break easy if over tightened, it wont need to be sealed just snug it up

pdxrealtor 04-25-2015 06:51 PM

If you replace your idler arm get a MOOG and it will come with a nice extension tube you can zip tie right up front for nice easy access with your grease gun.