Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SUPER FAST HUMMER! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43095)

ROUSHDEMON 01-11-2013 09:37 PM

SUPER FAST HUMMER!

Imagine you're daydreaming on a sunny day in your H2 in traffic and you look down to your speedometer going all Fast and the Furious on you!

What's wrong with this picture???.........

You should see it going 50MPH......... it thinks its going like 8,000MPH.

Now how do I fix it?:raar:

jarek m 01-11-2013 11:57 PM

Re: SUPER FAST HUMMER!

Instrument cluster was giving me some weird readings just before it quit.

The_Yeti 01-12-2013 04:13 AM

It's the cluster motor issue. i replaced mine with a new set off ebay. temporarily u can turn the car off and on about 10 times maybe less. it'll go back down to zero.

ROUSHDEMON 01-14-2013 01:50 AM

Nice ill try that thanks, did you buy just a motor or the whole cluster?

PaHumBug 01-14-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROUSHDEMON

Everytime you turn the key on/off it will go down 5-10 mph. But it will work itself back up over time and will eventually die. I had to replace my whole cluster, but I hear there is a guy on eBay that will trade you a refurbished cluster for your junk one plus cash. I would look into that, those clusters aren't cheap.

BUNNY15 01-14-2013 07:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

My tach motor went out and I had it (just the motor) replaced. While it was apart I had new LED bulbs, new white needles, and a custom UT Longhorn insert put in. Pretty nice set up IMO...Insert has blue film settings, so the white LEDs actually appear to be blue. Sorry about the night shot, kinda fuzzy, but you get the idea. $200 for the whole shabang!

pwrhse2k 01-15-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Imagine you're daydreaming on a sunny day in your H2 in traffic and you look down to your speedometer going all Fast and the Furious on you!

What's wrong with this picture???.........

You should see it going 50MPH......... it thinks its going like 8,000MPH.

Now how do I fix it?:raar:

I've got my stock cluster stored away from when I converted to the DMAX. I'll sell for a reasonable offer. PM me if you're interested.

LoJac963 01-15-2013 10:39 AM

I redid my cluster with LED's and an escalade gauge face when I swapped all my interior leds (radio, climate control, overhead, doors switches, etc) and it is very easy.

All the solder points on the motors are easily accessed and wouldn't take any special soldering skills. If you can do basic soldering you're golden. The most difficult time I had messing around in my cluster was getting the dang needles back exactly where I wanted them.

fyr145 01-15-2013 03:55 PM

Gee wizz..............

I wish I could keep up with you all and your cool mods. :crying:

Great work LoJack!! (As always)

ROUSHDEMON 01-16-2013 04:48 AM

Nice, LoJac....... I saw some of those on Ebay, does everything work correctly? what about the messaging readings? Warning lights...etc?

LoJac963 01-16-2013 12:05 PM

LOL thanks FYR but its mostly small things since getting the Gobi. Still need fender flares and a treehugger bg.....need to find some money....

Quote:

Nice, LoJac....... I saw some of those on Ebay, does everything work correctly? what about the messaging readings? Warning lights...etc?

I didn't buy a full cluster just the overlay. I actually had enough white LED's left over from my other projects to swap out my cluster bulbs with white LED. The escalade overlay has blue lenses that's why you see a bluish color.

You can find the escalade gauge faces on fleabay for $50 new and new needles are about $40. I did new needles also, hard to tell in the pic.

It is insanely cheaper to just replace your stepper motors. Like I mentioned if you can do basic soldering you won't have any issues what so ever. There are plently of walkthroughs and youtube vids on how to replace them. Pick up some 12v LED's also and replace your bulbs at the same time that way you'll never have to worry about one burning out.

My thinking is if you have your cluster torn apart why not do it all: LED's, stepper motors, gauge overlay, needles. I can find the seller on ebay where I bought my overlay if you're interested.