Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ONSTAR/ VERIZON (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30147)

timgco 10-03-2007 05:18 AM

ONSTAR/ VERIZON

So, I need to get a new phone with my Verizon plan. My RAZR is abused and needs to be replaced. As I am looking into new phones (and keeping Verizon) I found a new option (new to me).

Verizon has a plan where you can use your verizon plan through ONSTAR using your Verizon minutes.

Anyone doing this? I want to use the same phone (one number). Is there a way to get the ONSTAR or blue tooth kit I can install where the phone will be recognized upon entry of the truck? Or is this setup somewhere.

Is my 07 set up with digital ONSTAR?

I was in an 08 Escalade today and it was set up through the NAV for Onstar and hands free calling.

Anyne with an H2 doing this?

NJ H2 10-03-2007 05:39 AM

Re: ONSTAR/ VERIZON

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgco
So, I need to get a new phone with my Verizon plan. My RAZR is abused and needs to be replaced. As I am looking into new phones (and keeping Verizon) I found a new option (new to me).

Verizon has a plan where you can use your verizon plan through ONSTAR using your Verizon minutes.

Anyone doing this? I want to use the same phone (one number). Is there a way to get the ONSTAR or blue tooth kit I can install where the phone will be recognized upon entry of the truck? Or is this setup somewhere.

I was in an 08 Escalade today and it was set up through the NAV for Onstar and hands free calling.

I have it. I added an extra line with Verizon for $10.00 a month and eliminated the Onstar #. I use it sometimes but mostly I still use my regular Cell Phone. After you switch over you lose some Onstar features like "Get my Sports" "Get my Weather" etc. but I didn't use that service to much so eliminating that wasn't a big deal to me. I don't know of a way you can keep your phone and have a bluetooth kit with the Onstar. You can do it with an aftermarket Head Unit that supports Bluetooth like Eclipse, etc.
Digital Onstar came in the later 2004 H2's and all 2005+ H2's. My H2 was an early 2004 model that came with the Analog Onstar but if you pay for your Onstar 1 year in advance they can upgrade most 2004's to the Digital for no charge.

timgco 10-03-2007 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ H2
I have it. I added an extra line with Verizon for $10.00 a month and eliminated the Onstar #. I use it sometimes but mostly I still use my regular Cell Phone. After you switch over you lose some Onstar features like "Get my Sports" "Get my Weather" etc. but I didn't use that service to much so eliminating that wasn't a big deal to me. I don't know of a way you can keep your phone and have a bluetooth kit with the Onstar. You can do it with an aftermarket Head Unit that supports Bluetooth like Eclipse, etc.
Digital Onstar came in the later 2004 H2's and all 2005+ H2's. My H2 was an early 2004 model that came with the Analog Onstar but if you pay for your Onstar 1 year in advance they can upgrade most 2004's to the Digital for no charge.

OK, so since I already have the correct plan for my cell, I just have to add a line (using the H2 as the second), eliminate the ONSTAR number.

Does your phone auto switch to the Onstar phone once you enter? Or is that not possible?

NJ H2 10-03-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

OK, so since I already have the correct plan for my cell, I just have to add a line (using the H2 as the second), eliminate the ONSTAR number.

Does your phone auto switch to the Onstar phone once you enter? Or is that not possible?

I wish! :mad:
It simply works like a 2nd phone# with no voicemail. You can make and receive calls but basically that's it. I still don't know why you can't get voicemail with it.
BTW - you don't need to sign an anual contract for that number, it's just month to month

Agriv8r 10-03-2007 03:49 PM

we have alot of customers asking those questions,...great info thanx...

johndjmix1 10-05-2007 06:48 AM

It works great espically for those times when you run out of the house and forget your cell phone...

--John

Hucky 10-05-2007 12:55 PM

Ask about a shared minutes plan with your new phone

Ex: Your original phone you have now has a # and minute plan
Your new 2nd phone would share this phones minutes and new #

That way your not paying for an additional plan

Not sure if this pertains to you, cause Im stuck with sprint for now and thats what I had to do.

Good Luck

jmsspratlin 10-05-2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

I've got the family plan where I use one dedicated # for the H2 and one for my cell phone. I love the fact that Verizion has this option.

timgco 10-10-2007 07:02 PM

DONE! Works great. you just forward your cell to the H2 and you're good to go.

*72 and the truck's number will send all your calls from cell to the truck.
*73 gets your calls back to your cell.

blockrockin 10-26-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

DONE! Works great. you just forward your cell to the H2 and you're good to go.

*72 and the truck's number will send all your calls from cell to the truck.
*73 gets your calls back to your cell.

so you just had to pay 10 bucks for a extra line from verizon ? also do you have to keep your subscription to onstar? thanks

cage 11-08-2007 03:00 AM

anyone know if you can SELF upgrade to digital onstar, simply to use the cell phone service deal? Don't want to use Onstar, and mine is analog... so I need to upgrade.

NJ H2 11-08-2007 03:04 AM

You would need to upgrade to Dig Onstar as well as keeping up your Onstar subscription and add an extra line from Verizon for $10.00 a month.

CG07SUT 11-08-2007 04:14 AM

So the Onstar unit within our vehicles basically has a phone built in, correct? Has anyone developed a product to bypass the current phone and utilize your own phone? This could either be wired or bluetooth. Does anyone know if one of these exists? I know about the Parrot 3XXX series, but would like to find a way to tap into the current system and utilize the steering wheel controls and the built in antennae.

Verizon wants me to extend my current contract, and add the line. In doing this, I would have to also change my current Verizon family plan to one of the current plans. It's not the money as much as their attitude and demanding nature in which they discussed options with me. I already have 6 lines with them and got a hassle when the 6th was added because the typical "family share plan" is only good for 5. I do not need a seventh phone line.

RippSpeed 11-10-2007 06:39 AM

I just signed up for onstar ... I have a year to go ... But I would like to get more minutes... How can I get my phone hooked up to verizon and keep my onstar service other than the hands free feature...

NJ H2 11-10-2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippSpeed
I just signed up for onstar ... I have a year to go ... But I would like to get more minutes... How can I get my phone hooked up to verizon and keep my onstar service other than the hands free feature...

When you switch to Verizon you will lose the OnStar features like Get my Stock Quotes/weather/Sports Scores etc.