Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   V8 + 5-speed manual, anytime soon, if ever? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30351)

Dave92270 10-13-2007 03:23 AM

V8 + 5-speed manual, anytime soon, if ever?

Just curious - what you guys think? Will GM offer H3 in V8 configuration with manual transmission, sort of like current H3 3.7L lineup, but with V8 as option (without Alpha trim) anytime soon?

I currently have base with 4-speed auto, and I should've definitely bought the adventure with 5-speed manual (I found out what I need half year after the purchase, oh well..) Anyway, it would be stupid for me trading now, but if the above mentioned V8 configuration would become available, I would probably go for it and take the loss on early trade-in. I don't want Alpha because I don't care for leather and other luxury stuff, plus current Alpha is only offered with the 4-speed auto which I don't want either.

So what's your opinion - any chance for non-Alpha, V8 powered/5-speed manual H3 in next 12 months or so?

H3 Builder 10-13-2007 03:41 AM

Re: V8 + 5-speed manual, anytime soon, if ever?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave92270
Just curious - what you guys think? Will GM offer H3 in V8 configuration with manual transmission, sort of like current H3 3.7L lineup, but with V8 as option (without Alpha trim) anytime soon?

I currently have base with 4-speed auto, and I should've definitely bought the adventure with 5-speed manual (I found out what I need half year after the purchase, oh well..) Anyway, it would be stupid for me trading now, but if the above mentioned V8 configuration would become available, I would probably go for it and take the loss on early trade-in. I don't want Alpha because I don't care for leather and other luxury stuff, plus current Alpha is only offered with the 4-speed auto which I don't want either.

So what's your opinion - any chance for non-Alpha, V8 powered/5-speed manual H3 in next 12 months or so?

Probably see a V-8 Without ALPHA before you'll see a manual with a V-8.

Dave92270 10-13-2007 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3 Builder
Probably see a V-8 Without ALPHA before you'll see a manual with a V-8.

sounds like GM doesn't currently have any manual transmission available to couple with this 5.3L small block V8?

3Hummer 10-13-2007 04:44 AM

I thing they just need to drop in a 6 speed auto, that would be nice, as for manual in the V-8 im suprised the didnt do it

H3slate 10-13-2007 05:57 AM

On gm's website this v8 is coupled with a 6 speed auto tranny on a silverado. Every other model has the lame 4 speed.

They should make a six speed manual with the v8.

Dave92270 10-13-2007 06:09 AM

I wonder why they can't offer that current 5-speed transmission, or if it is not suitable, then modify it to work with V8. Off course I wouldn't mind six speed manual either (never had such one yet, just 4 or 5 speed)

Sewie 10-13-2007 06:53 AM

From what I understand, the main reason for the V8 upgrade was to increase the towing capacity, so no surprise they don't offer a manual tranny. As for the 6-speed, is there even room? :confused:

wpage 10-13-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewie
From what I understand, the main reason for the V8 upgrade was to increase the towing capacity, so no surprise they don't offer a manual tranny. As for the 6-speed, is there even room? :confused:

Not certain if you mean above or below deck. However room should be created to accomodate either a 5 speed with a overdrive control somewere or a 6 speed. This will give 2 needed advantages.
-20+ MPG on the high side.:beerchug:
-Beat gas guzzler taxes being applied in many states.

H3 Builder 10-13-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3slate
On gm's website this v8 is coupled with a 6 speed auto tranny on a silverado. Every other model has the lame 4 speed.

They should make a six speed manual with the v8.

I don't know,but maybe it has something to do with the front end. Maybe it couldn't hold up. Don't know, just a thought.

Dave92270 10-13-2007 09:50 PM

Doesn't look too promising then - well, I'm thinking to wait another 12 months or so if the V8+manual will show up, if not, then I'll probably trade-in my base/non-adv 4-speed auto for 3.7L adventure with 5-speed manual. These are consequences when one lets wife actively participate in vehicle purchase decisions...

subunix 10-14-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Doesn't look too promising then - well, I'm thinking to wait another 12 months or so if the V8+manual will show up, if not, then I'll probably trade-in my base/non-adv 4-speed auto for 3.7L adventure with 5-speed manual. These are consequences when one lets wife actively participate in vehicle purchase decisions...

:iagree:

Steve #1 10-15-2007 09:24 AM

The AR-5 is almost at the limits of it's capabilitys with the 3.7. I don't think it would hold up to a V8. I'm just happy to have a manual, but it would be nice to have a V8 too.

Desert Dan 10-15-2007 04:02 PM

If they made a V8 with a 5-speed manual I'd trade today

Dave92270 10-15-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Dan
If they made a V8 with a 5-speed manual I'd trade today

Well, maybe GM will figure it out eventually that manual transmission+V8 engine combo would present a significant motivation for current H3 owners to trade-in their not-too-old rigs for brand new ones again and boost sales significantly. Not everyone wants $40k+ Alpha that is pretty much the only meaningful upgrade offered right now to those who bought their 3.7L H3's recently. Actually, no H3 on the market is too old anyway, first came out in 2006?

6pack 10-15-2007 10:49 PM

I already tried to trade in my 07 for the Alpha with a 5 speed. Soon as I found out it wasn't offered with a 5spd I got up and left. I'd be there in a heart beat if they came out with the v8/5spd combo.

Cannuck 01-01-2008 12:19 PM

I sure hope GM comes to the realization that there are people out there who want manual transmissions.

Why do you suppose the manufacturers are selling so many 4 door trucks out west these days. It's the only way you can get a manual transmission, diesel engine, or solid front axle!

wpage 01-01-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannuck
I sure hope GM comes to the realization that there are people out there who want manual transmissions.

Why do you suppose the manufacturers are selling so many 4 door trucks out west these days. It's the only way you can get a manual transmission, diesel engine, or solid front axle!

Certainly GM has actuary # to support or not make the move. However they wont do it unless it covers the cost of tooling for manual transmission. :twak:

HummerHippy 01-01-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Well, maybe GM will figure it out eventually that manual transmission+V8 engine combo would present a significant motivation for current H3 owners to trade-in their not-too-old rigs for brand new ones again and boost sales significantly. Not everyone wants $40k+ Alpha that is pretty much the only meaningful upgrade offered right now to those who bought their 3.7L H3's recently. Actually, no H3 on the market is too old anyway, first came out in 2006?

Time goes so fast...06 H3s were out in...mid/late 2005. Its been almost 2 1/2 years already.

AnotherGlobalWarmer 01-02-2008 12:45 AM

GM offers a manual transmission in their fullsize trucks, i havent seen them behind anything larger than the 4.8 liter V8's but I do know they can handle 500lbft trq. I dont see it happening though, we were lucky to get a manual tranny option on the H3's in the first place IMOP.

Dave92270 01-02-2008 01:24 AM

Certain chance could be the fact that GM is trying to export H3's to Europe (and elsewhere), and over there manual transmissions are very common. Also, gas is still much more expensive overseas I believe, so the manual transmission would be a good selling point in my opinion - however, not sure how much the potential buyers worry about gas milage if they can afford to buy (and insure) the H3 at the first place; I assume that with smart driving the 5-speed manual gets much better milage then 4-speed auto, right?