Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photos of YOUR H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Grayling Snow Run '09 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36499)

Nips 01-19-2009 04:02 AM

Grayling Snow Run '09

7 Attachment(s)
I had the chance to attend the 10th annual Grayling Snow Run this past weekend. It was my first time up to Grayling and my first time offroading with the H3T. It was a blast. The snow was very deep (around 18-24 average I believe).The guys that organized it did an excellent job and made it enjoyable for everyone that attended. I even got some free custom pinstripping on each side of the H3T! I didn't have a co-pilot so here are a few of the pics that I was able to snap.

We had two groups on the first day. My group had two H1's, one H2, three H3's and I was the only H3T
Attachment 50346

Attachment 50347

Attachment 50353

Attachment 50348
This hill was a lot of fun. It was more challenging on the second day as the path had drifted shut and a few more inches of snow had piled on as well.
Attachment 50349

Attachment 50350
I was playing around and found some deep snow. I had to be rescued by an H1 of course. The sand underneith the snow didn't help any.
Attachment 50351

Attachment 50352

Nips 01-19-2009 04:13 AM

Re: Grayling Snow Run '09

3 Attachment(s)
I was riding along in an H1 :clapping: for the night run when we came up to this tree
Attachment 50355

I was a little suprised when he jumped right out and got a chainsaw out of the back of the H1. These guys were prepared for about anything. Attachment 50354

10-15 minutes later the trail was clear.
Attachment 50356

o2man98 01-19-2009 04:38 AM

Looks like a good time.

RazM 01-19-2009 06:46 AM

Some 35" M/T's would have been your friend where you got stuck... That doesn't look too deep at all.

Great pics, yesterday and today we've had similar amounts fall here, it's a blast to run through good 4 foot piles
:beerchug:

blindzebra 01-19-2009 08:28 AM

WOW that looks like fun. Wish it would snow down here in NC sometime. That way I could go out and see all the southerners off the road. :jump:

HumminNBoatin' 01-19-2009 05:18 PM

Looks like it was a fun time. I really wish I could have made it!!

Scarsman 01-19-2009 08:14 PM

Congratulations! I bet you are the first person to get an H3T stuck! :D

Nips 01-19-2009 08:49 PM

That was my main goal for the weekend, test the limits of the H3T. I got stuck once before that but didn't get any pics. The H1 that came to pull me out also got stuck in that area. There was sand underneith so once you lost your momentum you were done.

RazM 01-19-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nips
That was my main goal for the weekend, test the limits of the H3T. I got stuck once before that but didn't get any pics. The H1 that came to pull me out also got stuck in that area. There was sand underneith so once you lost your momentum you were done.

You weren't testing the limits of the H3T, you were testing the limits of your tires :o

In that particular spot, it only looks to be about 16-18 inches of snow. I've been through more last year (to a point where the doors were almost impossible to open) and the M/T's pulled me through.

From my experience, the moment you start feeling the slightest loss of momentum, stop, and reverse into the existing tracks you've already made. When you feel you have enough leeway, go for it again and repeat the process until you've made it. Never gun it forward, you'll just digg deeper until you hit ground.

P.S. I know this somewhat contradicts what I've said before, when I said "just don't stop", but I meant that for a very different situation (for example, getting over/through a large pile of snow) where momentum will push you over and not get you high-centered. For very long runs in deep snow you're better off using the above technique. Never let the truck get into the "rocking" motion for too long, that's when it's trying to get more and more grip and when the digging happens.

Nips 01-20-2009 04:42 AM

Thanks for the tip...I'm a newbie so I'm still learning:beerchug: . I'll probably throw those tires on the H3 and invest in some good MT's by next winter.

06-H3 01-20-2009 05:41 PM

My wife and I were disappointed to not be able to make the trip this year, looks like another good time with plenty of snow and cold. Looks like you got stuck in the same place I did last year. Like I said before, if you don't get stuck on at least one of the runs, you're not trying hard enough. Getting stuck is half the fun, now you know what to improve for next year. :D

ChiHummer3 01-21-2009 02:37 AM

Looks like a good time! Great pics!

Ditchdigger 01-21-2009 09:34 AM

I have one ? why does it look like your left rear tire and your right front were the only ones that look like the spun?

Nips 01-21-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditchdigger
I have one ? why does it look like your left rear tire and your right front were the only ones that look like the spun?

I was sorta high-centered when I stopped. I had it in 4-high but then shifted into 4-low w/ lockers. I only tried that for a second (didn't move at all) before just giving up. Had the traction control off so it was just sending power to the wheels with no traction I guess.

Nips 01-21-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06-H3
My wife and I were disappointed to not be able to make the trip this year, looks like another good time with plenty of snow and cold. Looks like you got stuck in the same place I did last year. Like I said before, if you don't get stuck on at least one of the runs, you're not trying hard enough. Getting stuck is half the fun, now you know what to improve for next year. :D

It was a blast. I'm glad you brought this event to my attention. The snow was the deepest that any of the guys had seen for this event. I'm planning on going back next year so hopefully there will be alot of snow.

Dave92270 01-22-2009 02:17 AM

nice pics -thanks!

phazer42 01-22-2009 04:21 AM

Dave,

for a newbie, you did great.

The pictures aren't really the greatest at showing the snow depth, but there was more snow this year then any other year for this run.... We had a great time, and I enjoyed having you ride with me on that night run....

There will be an article posted in the azimuth

don't forget about these two orginizations:

www.thehummerclubinc.com
and
www.glfwda.org

Nips 01-23-2009 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Scott, it was well worth the long drive up there. The ride in the H1 was great. Here is a little better pic of where I was trying to go when I got stuck. Scott was coming around to pull me out when he got stopped. I wish I would've made it a little farther, would have been a cooler pic.

Attachment 50396