Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   8 months later and now I have my hummer (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36805)

Rred 02-21-2009 02:27 AM

8 months later and now I have my hummer

So I'm home on R&R for 15 days. And on day one I rolled into the local dealership and bought an H3. I'm so happy. I've been looking at them for 8 months and I finally have it. It's loaded out with everything except a sunroof. White adv with black leather.

But here's what I need to know, please. I want the leveling kit to clear some 35's. Should I just crank the torsion bars untill they don't rub anymore, should I get the leveling kit, or I believe someone mentioned leveling shocks of some nature. What is the best way to clear 35's. These AT tires suck a$$.

Ryan Graham 02-21-2009 02:36 AM

Re: 8 months later and now I have my hummer

Just crank the torsion bars until the front is level, It seems to be about 24" for most from the center of the hub to the fender lip. You dont need to buy the leveling kit. But you do want to go to trailduty.com and order the leveling shock kit w/ the extended bumpstops. They will make the ride a lot better. Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the group.

Rred 02-21-2009 02:34 PM

I appreciate it man. Will I get any rub with some 35's amd that shock kit? What width should I go with on the 35's?

Rred 02-21-2009 02:57 PM

Question about the trailduty gear. 1/2" or 1" bumpstops?

wpage 02-21-2009 07:07 PM

Depends on how high you plan to go. With 35's you could get either. I would crank it up and get the 1" stops.
Have a search around for ideas...

timgco 02-22-2009 12:00 AM

the 1" stops pop out and soon as you go offroad. They are too long. you have to crank teh tbars to 24.25 of higher for them to work well/ not pop out and that is out of the safe zone for suspension height.

The 1/2" stops and 23.50 is the ideal height from center of hub to bottom of fender.

Order the bilstien shocks with 1/2 stops. I've been running the setup for some time now. I also put Rancho 9000XL shocks in the rear since they are adjustable and allow for extra weight when towing or loading the truck down. I had the 1" stops and they are way too tall.

you can go with 315 17 16 on the stock rims and be good to go. You will get rub and full turn lock to lock on tge swaybar...but nothing to worry about there.

I changed out wheels too on mine. Went with a 17" rim/ 35 12.50 17 mt tires and at 23.50, I have zero rubbing.

tomp 02-22-2009 09:39 AM

Tim is right about going with the 1/2" over the 1" bumpstops

I wouldn't swap the rear shocks for the ranchos as they are not high pressure charged like the OEM or Bilstein shocks are. The high pressure charging provides some spring rate assistance for the leaf springs to allow for higher payloads.

The Rancho shocks are nice shocks, they just dont have the high pressure charging

wannabeH3 02-22-2009 09:27 PM

i only rub when i make a very sharp turn in a driveway or something. with 2 turns on the torsion bars. no other mods necessary

Rred 02-24-2009 12:38 AM

Guys I love this truck. I'm so happy with it. I ordered the blistein shocks with the bump stop. I don't remember what size bump stops I got. They're cheap anyway. I've got big plans for the truck. I'm just really happy with it. And it's amazing to have one after looking at them online for 8 months now.

Rred 03-06-2009 09:25 AM

Well, all good things must come to an end. I just landed in Ireland and I'm on my way back to Iraq. Sucks having to go back, but it's okay. I was smart enough to take my leave well past the halfway point. So, I only have a couple more months. I miss my truck already. I received the weathertech floor mats. Those things are awsome! They fit so well and cover the entire floor. If i didn't know better you'd think it had vinyl flooring instead of carpet. They're going to awsome for keeping the mud out of the carpet. I didn't put on the leveling kit just yet. I wanted to wait untill I was going to buy new tires. So the kit is sitting in my room till I get back. Well, I hope all is well with you all. Wish me luck. And I'll be on once I get back to camp.

wpage 03-06-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rred
Well, all good things must come to an end. I just landed in Ireland and I'm on my way back to Iraq. Sucks having to go back, but it's okay. I was smart enough to take my leave well past the halfway point. So, I only have a couple more months. I miss my truck already. I received the weathertech floor mats. Those things are awsome! They fit so well and cover the entire floor. If i didn't know better you'd think it had vinyl flooring instead of carpet. They're going to awsome for keeping the mud out of the carpet. I didn't put on the leveling kit just yet. I wanted to wait untill I was going to buy new tires. So the kit is sitting in my room till I get back. Well, I hope all is well with you all. Wish me luck. And I'll be on once I get back to camp.

Red,
Good dreams while your away. Have a good friend keep an eye on it and run it once in a while while your gone to keep it current...
W

terry_ohio 03-06-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rred

Thank you for your service. Stay safe!!!

HummerHippy 03-06-2009 03:04 PM

Be safe! We'll see ya soon. Summer is coming and your truck will be waiting.

Rred 03-07-2009 04:30 PM

Thankyou everyone. I'm already back to work. Made it from Chicago Ohare to Taji Iraq in an undearh of 36 hrs. I left my rig with my mom, so she'll keep it detailed and running good for me. Roughly 9 days and I'll be back in the driver seat. Thanks for the support.