Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "Nervous Breakdown" (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42587)

SMITH23H2SUT 05-25-2012 11:55 AM

"Nervous Breakdown"

I just had my oil cooler lines recently replaced..and do not recall if I was having this problem beforehand. My oil pressure gauge at start-up is at around 35, and increases to about 40 when driving. Now here is the problem in question, when I'm on the Highway if I'm doing around 70mph and punch down on the gas pedal the oil pressure gauge will shoot up to about 65 and drop back down. Is this normal when punching down on gas?:crying:

HummerMann 05-25-2012 01:23 PM

Re: "Nervous Breakdown"

I never looked at the gauge except after I change the oil, but now that you've mentioned it I decided to watch it. Mine shoots up to about 60 psi when you floor it on the highway then drops back down after you ease off the gas and stays around 40 psi the rest of the time. I run Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-40 in my H2.

Humdingah 05-25-2012 05:24 PM

Completely normal...

SMITH23H2SUT 05-26-2012 07:58 AM

Thanks for the quick response guys.( HUMMER Family :grouphug: forever ) I can sleep better now knowing that when I step on the gas I'm not going to have an oil line explode and leak oil all over the engine compartment.:D

SMITH23H2SUT 10-09-2012 05:56 AM

So today I take the HDeuce to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. The mechanic comes to me and says "Just thought you'd want to know, your oil cap needed to be taken off with a tool and it doesn't appear to the right cap for this vehicle. It seems to be warped".WTF....I ONLY GET OIL CHANGES FROM THESE GUYS. I did take it to a former HUMMER dealer to have the oiler cooler lines replaced though, I wonder if these guys lost my cap somehow and replaced it with a cheap replacement. Just thought I'd let you guys know that you should check your oil caps if your OIL PSI is below 40psi.I've been driving around with the PSI down to about a 20 which would go up to 40psi after about 15min of driving. OEM oil cap replacement has been ordered. part# 12573337

[__--MUD--__] 10-09-2012 09:18 PM

That cap has nothing to do w/ your oil pressure. Your oil pressure is generated from the oil pump hydraylically moving the fluid. The oil is under pressure as its making its way through the various passageways. The oil resouvar in the bottom of the pan is not pressurized. The oil there is waiting to be sucked into the pump and recirculated. The oil cap is just a sealing mechanism to fill the motor and keep debris out. There is like 3' of air gap between the oil in the pan and the top of the motor.

Luv2Camp 10-09-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMITH23H2SUT
So today I take the HDeuce to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. The mechanic comes to me and says "Just thought you'd want to know, your oil cap needed to be taken off with a tool and it doesn't appear to the right cap for this vehicle. It seems to be warped".WTF....I ONLY GET OIL CHANGES FROM THESE GUYS. I did take it to a former HUMMER dealer to have the oiler cooler lines replaced though, I wonder if these guys lost my cap somehow and replaced it with a cheap replacement. Just thought I'd let you guys know that you should check your oil caps if your OIL PSI is below 40psi.I've been driving around with the PSI down to about a 20 which would go up to 40psi after about 15min of driving. OEM oil cap replacement has been ordered. part# 12573337

MECHANIC and Jiffy Lube are two words that DO NOT belong together! Nothing against Jiffy Lube or the people that work for them.... When I was a kid, I worked for an outfit that was like Jiffy Lube. It was called Grease Monkey. I still remember that when we would run out of one viscosity of oil, we would use whatever we had. Also can remember the number of stripped out oil plugs on the aluminum pans. For this reason, I do not allow anyone to change the oil on my vehicles except for myself......